IT.COM

news Mail from Sedo: Impact of current economic sanctions on products and services at Sedo

NameSilo
Watch

lovedomains

Established Member
Impact
Hi, I just got this e-mail from Sedo

The current geopolitical situation in Ukraine has a direct and indirect impact on business relations with Russian and Belarusian business partners.

Due to the current situation, we have to inform you that Sedo has suspended trading and parking for domains under .ru and .by. In addition, we are currently unable to serve customers residing in Russia or Belarus, as well as corresponding bank accounts. The affected accounts will be temporarily deactivated.

We ask for your understanding that, due to the present situation, we cannot guarantee payment processing with Russian and Belarusian business partners.

Sedo disapproves of any kind of hate and violence, as well as anything that radically contradicts our corporate values. Therefore, for the sake of the civilians involved, we hope for an early resolution of this conflict.

Best regards,

Your Sedo Team

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Now that is the way to go about explaining things... Not, "We support Ukraine so we're suspending all Russians" like other companies seem to taunt.

Understandable and transparent.

Last edited:
•••
Well at least the wording is slightly better. Processing payments will be an issue for US & EU based marketplaces, & I think more will follow. Not sure they had to deactivate their accounts.

imo

•••
I see that you are located in Italy, why did you receive this email from Sedo?

•••
I'm in Italy too and I got the email from sedo, probably they sent it to all their customers

Last edited:
•••
Does it mean that RU- and BY- based domainers will not receive their February (and ~9 days of March) Sedo parking earnings? Isn't it "payout day" @ Sedo? If the memory serves me correctly, Sedo pays on or about 10th each month...

Yeah, there are reports that paypal is not working in RU anymore (unsure about BY), but neither country is disconnected from SWIFT, so Sedo could technically send wire transfers. And, how many accounts are affected? Domaining is not a big niche even globally, so it may well be that they are speaking about a few dozens or so (active) accounts.

SedoMLS:

https://sedo.com/us/sell-domains/promotion-options/

They still show at least 1 RU-based registrar (RU CENTER). It seems SedoMLS will no more distribute domains to this registrar. Even though I do not think that RU-based endusers are now looking to purchase premium gTLD domains, this decision decreases (potential) SedoMLS coverage.

Last edited:
•••
It is not only based on the country in which the Sedo customer lives, but also the TLDs mentioned. I also received this email, while I live in the Netherlands and do not have any of these TLDs for sale through Sedo.

•••
Because such resolution affects:
1 - .ru and .by domain investors
2 - Russian and Belarussian citizens and also
3 - all domain investors since it also limits inbound offers from such markets

•••
Also me get the email ( not affected )
So all users received

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
I,m in Australia I received it.

•••
Sorry but this is ridiculous....

•••
Because such resolution affects:
1 - .ru and .by domain investors
2 - Russian and Belarussian citizens and also
3 - all domain investors since it also limits inbound offers from such markets

Confirming, that we proactively informed all customers, as all customers could also be affected by potential future payments from or to the sanctioned states.

•••
I'm a Sedo user. I didn't receive the email.

Due to the large volume, it is possible that the email will not arrive until later today. If this is not the case, please contact our Sedo Support staff and clarify whether the email address in your Sedo account is still up to date. Thank you

•••
Back