NameSilo

discuss Lost a hemp domain at the last second of an auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
upload_2019-2-4_9-37-0.png

The $1511 was my proxy kicking in, after the other bidder was able to bid with no time left.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If time running out on an auction isn’t an indication that it’s over, what is? In the 2-3 seconds that the screen changed to auction ended I could’ve shut my phone off thinking I won, and rightfully so.

My first thought is to only add 60 or 90 seconds when last minute bids are placed. At least it would speed things along and cut out the games. The second thought is to not update screens to “auction ended” until the auction has truly ended. The service needs to work flawlessly across all platforms. This is real money we’re talking about and should be dealt with in a serious manner.

dude.
research the issues the Worlds Financial Markets deal with regarding and this problem. It is much larger then a $1500 domain miss. its a BILLION Dollar issue at hand and its dealt with every second of the day the Exchanges are open across the worlds exchanges.
its Not the Platform as home boy explained. its your CONNECTION.
so "dealing with in a serious manner"
Billion dollar companies have moved their entire set ups to gain NANO second advantages when it comes down to this shite.
HFT homie ... u aint gunna win. construct your thoughts. bitching about an issue thats completely out of your control is a waste of your time
Your issue is the cave man or the most basic issue being faced for Online or anything Computer related when it comes down to Auctions. Fwackkkk. Online betting , poker , ebay , etc etc etc

Last edited:
•••
dude.
research the issues the Worlds Financial Markets deal with regarding and this problem. It is much larger then a $1500 domain miss. its a BILLION Dollar issue at hand and its dealt with every second of the day the Exchanges are open across the worlds exchanges.
its Not the Platform as home boy explained. its your CONNECTION.
so "dealing with in a serious manner"
Billion dollar companies have moved their entire set ups to gain NANO second advantages when it comes down to this sh*te.
HFT homie ... u aint gunna win. construct your thoughts. bitching about an issue thats completely out of your control is a waste of your time
Nobody is bitching. This is a situation that GoDaddy could handle better. Some suggestions have already been made. I don’t care about what issues other companies have. We’re talking domains here...

•••
Nobody is bitching. This is a situation that GoDaddy could handle better. Some suggestions have already been made. I don’t care about what issues other companies have. We’re talking domains here...

lol
like a rock you are. its a f-ing CONNECTION issue. what dont u understand ??????
its not GoDaddies problem
and the fact that you say "other companies"
this is a difference of TIME and MILLA Seconds domain guy. so its as basic as basic is if you cant understand that this is an issue out of your control , out of GoDaddys control.
these "other companies" are the companies that make the world go round.
Billions and Billions of dollars are spent just on this exact issue your trying to figure out by calling out GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
lol
like a rock you are. its a f-ing CONNECTION issue. what dont u understand ??????
Wrong.

Their platform isn’t syncing across all devices when refreshed. If I bid with 2 mins left and the running clock resets to 5 mins, the countdown to zero should be the same no matter what. By your logic a billion different devices with different connections would see different running times. Sounds ridiculous right?!

•••
ding ding. keith wins once again folks, he is undisputed champ when it comes down to his own logic and thoughts. better luck next time.

ALOHA EVERYONE :)

Last edited:
•••
ding ding. keith wins once again folks, he is undisputed champ when it comes down to his own logic and thoughts. better luck next time.

ALOHA EVERYONE :)
Everyone has different connections right? So how many different running times should be displayed? You tell us since you know how it works.

The clock that GoDaddy displays should be in sync, regardless of what device a user chooses to bid on.

Last edited:
•••
Keith trying to explain to you would be a waste of all out time . @JoeStyler tried to explain it. He mentions Connection and Server.
I understand lag time and connection speed. Do yo self a flavor and hit the old interweb search.
🤙🏻

•••
Keith trying to explain to you would be a waste of all out time . @JoeStyler tried to explain it. He mentions Connection and Server.
I understand lag time and connection speed. Do yo self a flavor and hit the old interweb search.
🤙🏻
Again, tell us how many different times are displayed for viewers of any given auction? You can’t do it.

If time is added to an auction, the page automatically refreshes. It should refresh with the correct time, not a time that’s seconds off.

You can’t have 100 auction participants all seeing different countdowns and blame it on connection speed.

•••
Again, tell us how many different times are displayed for viewers of any given auction? You can’t do it.

If time is added to an auction, the page automatically refreshes. It should refresh with the correct time, not a time that’s seconds off.

You can’t have 100 auction participants all seeing different countdowns and blame it on connection speed.

Keith

Do u want me to hold your hand and link very easy explanation videos for you ?
Instead of arguing , do a search.
Like I said. I understand all of this and the reasons why you don’t understand it.
Being an Options trader for 10yrs I quickly became trained to not fight the system of data transfer and server issue. I understand your frustrations , but come on. Get a grip. This issue is not a new bug. They can update their programs every day specifically for these problems. Are they going to work ?
No. Things could speed up. But at that point yo mist yo bus gus.
You might find it interesting if you actually read up on this problem in the Financial World.
🤙🏻

Last edited:
•••
Keith

Do u want me to hold your hand and link very easy explanation videos for you ?
Instead of arguing , do a search.
Like I said. I understand all of this and the reasons why you don’t understand it.
Being an Options trader for 10yrs I quickly became trained to not fight the system of data transfer and server issue. I understand your frustrations , but come on. Get a grip. This issue is not a new bug. They can update their programs every day specifically for these problems. Are they going to work ?
No. Things could speed up. But at that point yo mist yo bus gus.
You might fight it interesting if you actually read up on this problem in the Financial World.
🤙🏻
So the answer is that you don’t have a clue how many different times people are seeing during GoDaddy auctions.

Executing a stock trade at an exact time would have an obvious correlation with connection speed. Resetting a clock to display a countdown isn’t remotely the same.

•••
So the answer is that you don’t have a clue how many different times people are seeing during GoDaddy auctions.

Executing a stock trade at an exact time would have an obvious correlation with connection speed. Resetting a clock to display a countdown isn’t remotely the same.

your like a 5yr old. get over yourself there sport. u demand answers from people like your some type of guru. when in fact your not.
u simply dont understand wtf it is your trying to fight here. good night. continue to try and push. call tech support. stop your baby bitching

•••
your like a 5yr old. get over yourself there sport. u demand answers from people like your some type of guru. when in fact your not.
u simply dont understand wtf it is your trying to fight here. good night. continue to try and push. call tech support. stop your baby bitching
You can’t claim to know something while being unable to answer the basics. You said you know what’s up so enlighten us. How many different times are displayed if 100 people are viewing a running auction? We’ll wait...

•••
Basically your phone isn't connecting to the server or the auction account correctly and it can't update the fact that you were outbid.

So the app believes there are no new bids.

That is one thing. But it is another thing IF believing their have been no new bids after a certain period of time the app THEN by default by itself tells you the auction has closed - without learning that from the server. Surely it could be set to only say auction closed when it has received a status message from the server that says auction closed?

People on here have suggested it should show a Pending message on the screen. Then the bidder would at least check as best they could what is happening.

•••
So the app believes there are no new bids.

That is one thing. But it is another thing IF believing their have been no new bids after a certain period of time the app THEN by default by itself tells you the auction has closed - without learning that from the server. Surely it could be set to only say auction closed when it has received a status message from the server that says auction closed?

People on here have suggested it should show a Pending message on the screen. Then the bidder would at least check as best they could what is happening.
Right that part we can fix, if the app is not getting the feedback fast enough we can set it to show an error or some similar messaging, the connection issue we can't control. We don't run the networks that connect the Internet to the auctions servers. But we can do something and have it in the plans to do as much as we can to communicate better that there is an issue. Again though, this is tricky because if the app isn't connecting to the servers it might not be connecting to anything fast enough to know there is a problem.

•••
@Joe Styler
Thanks for paying attention to the discussion on the App. This has also happened to me, and it is frustrating to see "Auction Ended" only to see it start bidding again. I understand latency/connection issues, so anything you can do would be appreciated.

If updates are in the works, here's a quick "money maker" for the App -- add a new Tab that shows the highest bid auctions ending in the next "x" Minutes. This is bound to generate extra bids from people who use the App but didn't have some of the expired names on their watch list... If GoDaddy implements this feature, maybe you can give me a credit on my renewals for this year? LOL

•••
I think you were saved a tad high for a reseller. Then again you probably have a buyer in mind.

Last edited:
•••
I experienced the same issue with the app, the name was traffic domain & after two to three days it was listed on hugedomain

Forget that name & move on.

•••
that is a 'high' quality domain that's too bad you were outbid so late in auction when it appeared over.

•••
that is a 'high' quality domain that's too bad you were outbid so late in auction when it appeared over.
That is the thing in every auction, there is always one other person in it not letting anyone have it cheap. In doesn't matter about the app, if he was going to get outbid, he was going to get outbid by the outside party he has no control of.

It is good that he spoke up, and brought it to the attention of the developers, there is no way they can fix that lag issue, sometimes a slow wifi, or broken signal, they just have to change the closing seconds after to pending, until they can confirm sold.

The auction continued to roll, and it's not like the next bid won it, it sold for a 50% premium to the bid where they thought they had won it.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, just saw that in the end he got the domain for $267 (because the high bidder never paid). That's a bargain!

•••
While there could be a lag/connection issue, I too have experienced this on my PC (not the app), and in at least some cases it most certainly is not due to lag or a connection issue. It is the result of the combination of two programming logic flaws (one has been mentioned already).

I'd say it's bad programming logic .. but I haven't done any serious programming in many years, so while I know what the problem is, and the programming logic behind it, I'm not sure what the limitations of the programming language/platform are, so I don't know if the obvious fixes are technically possible (could also simply be deliberately the way it is for performance reasons .. lesser of two evils sort of thing).

As per usual .. I do not share or discuss specific details of open bugs/glitches .. so as frustrating as it is, there is no point in asking me for specifics here or in private.

All that said .. I think it's a good thing you lost it .. definitely overpriced .. if you have buyers of Cannabis domains PM me! :)

Last edited:
•••
GD sure can be buggy alright. I was just bidding on an auction with 1 minute remaining but it would not register my bid at all. I tried several times, even refreshing the page. Note, this was in my web browser and not the app. Unfortunately the auction ended and never registered my bid.

upload_2019-2-9_18-8-36.png

I mean this is very rare but I do recall this happening once or twice before.

I will send an email to the auctions time to let them know of course.

•••
Don't use the GoDaddy app to do auction stuff because there is a time lag between the app and the website.
Always use the website and * fast internet connection helps.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back