Dynadot

discuss Lost a hemp domain at the last second of an auction

NameSilo
Watch
upload_2019-2-4_9-37-0.png

The $1511 was my proxy kicking in, after the other bidder was able to bid with no time left.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a dispute open regarding this auction. At $1461 the auction time elapsed and said auction ended. Seconds later a new bid popped up and time was added. I took a screenshot of the system saying it was over and sent it to my rep and the auctions team. I’m sure they’ll come up with some excuse...
If you used the app this is a common issue, in app lag. It has happend to me many times.

•••
then your priorities are off as an investor !!!!!
if your "out" ,,, when u should have been in. well. id say re- evaluate your priorities
That’s a ridiculous thing to say.

GoDaddy is offering a service. If their service is flawed, that’s not my fault, that’s theirs.

•••
Keith sorry u lost.
But what i said was fact and truth.
Do you trade common stocks , Options , Pennies ?
Its never going to be up to your liking, you play the game by their rules. not your own. And MISSING happens. Nano seconds.
Domaining is so un regulated its a joke in a way.
Im not trying to pour salt on the wound. Your trying to make actions by the second. its Delay.
I would never in my life rely on an APP and my Cell to make any business acquisition
Its like trying to argue with the people at Etrade , Scotts , etc
this has been a topic of Trading for ever !!!
Missing the ins and outs due to computers and servers. As an Options trader, these are just the real issues u face and deal with. No other way around it bub
It’s not about the domain, I’ve got plenty of those. It’s about offering a service and duping people into thinking it’s reliable. If it doesn’t work then take it down. Otherwise, honor the platform.

•••
So the app believes there are no new bids.

That is one thing. But it is another thing IF believing their have been no new bids after a certain period of time the app THEN by default by itself tells you the auction has closed - without learning that from the server. Surely it could be set to only say auction closed when it has received a status message from the server that says auction closed?

People on here have suggested it should show a Pending message on the screen. Then the bidder would at least check as best they could what is happening.
Right that part we can fix, if the app is not getting the feedback fast enough we can set it to show an error or some similar messaging, the connection issue we can't control. We don't run the networks that connect the Internet to the auctions servers. But we can do something and have it in the plans to do as much as we can to communicate better that there is an issue. Again though, this is tricky because if the app isn't connecting to the servers it might not be connecting to anything fast enough to know there is a problem.

•••
@Keith
ya nothing will happen, happened to me on dnie and the dev team just says ita cache issue on your end, there still running a cookie cutter system, it drives me nuts and im currently in a pickle with afternic / GD listing issues. never ending trouble shooting

Mine actually showed me as winning bidder with time running to zero, screen shot of me as winner, and they still say not their fault. not on app, on pc, wow eh

•••
I have a dispute open regarding this auction. At $1461 the auction time elapsed and said auction ended. Seconds later a new bid popped up and time was added. I took a screenshot of the system saying it was over and sent it to my rep and the auctions team. I’m sure they’ll come up with some excuse...

This happens quite often with me. As far as I've understood, it's the difference between your bid and other person's bid which in your app takes time to refresh.

•••
im still a newb here in the Domain world , but...... i was pretty heavy into playing Apple Calls and Puts for years. I learned very quickly in those years , NEVER rely on the speed and process threw an APP of any kind.
The desktop auction timing is slower than the app. Now it comes down to which clock is official. It should be the clock that hits zero first imo.

•••
They’re choosing to run auctions via an app. Time went beyond zero and they accepted further bidding. It should be a closed case, although knowing them it won’t be @Joe Styler
We don't accept bids after the auction ends. There can be various reasons why you see that, latency, bad connection to the Internet, session timeout, etc. If there was another bid then the auction didn't close. I know they are coming out with some updates to the app shortly that can help with messaging and time outs. Basically your phone isn't connecting to the server or the auction account correctly and it can't update the fact that you were outbid. I know it is frustrating and that they are working on making the messaging more clear but I am not sure what more they can do in cases like this. If your phone is not connecting correctly to the auctions servers for whatever technical reason then we can't send a message saying you are outbid because we can't get to your phone from our server. We have no motivation for stopping a bid from coming in, in fact it is quite the opposite but we don't control all the steps between us and the bidder's phone/computer.

•••
We don't accept bids after the auction ends. There can be various reasons why you see that, latency, bad connection to the Internet, session timeout, etc. If there was another bid then the auction didn't close. I know they are coming out with some updates to the app shortly that can help with messaging and time outs. Basically your phone isn't connecting to the server or the auction account correctly and it can't update the fact that you were outbid. I know it is frustrating and that they are working on making the messaging more clear but I am not sure what more they can do in cases like this. If your phone is not connecting correctly to the auctions servers for whatever technical reason then we can't send a message saying you are outbid because we can't get to your phone from our server. We have no motivation for stopping a bid from coming in, in fact it is quite the opposite but we don't control all the steps between us and the bidder's phone/computer.
If time running out on an auction isn’t an indication that it’s over, what is? In the 2-3 seconds that the screen changed to auction ended I could’ve shut my phone off thinking I won, and rightfully so.

My first thought is to only add 60 or 90 seconds when last minute bids are placed. At least it would speed things along and cut out the games. The second thought is to not update screens to β€œauction ended” until the auction has truly ended. The service needs to work flawlessly across all platforms. This is real money we’re talking about and should be dealt with in a serious manner.

•••
dude.
research the issues the Worlds Financial Markets deal with regarding and this problem. It is much larger then a $1500 domain miss. its a BILLION Dollar issue at hand and its dealt with every second of the day the Exchanges are open across the worlds exchanges.
its Not the Platform as home boy explained. its your CONNECTION.
so "dealing with in a serious manner"
Billion dollar companies have moved their entire set ups to gain NANO second advantages when it comes down to this sh*te.
HFT homie ... u aint gunna win. construct your thoughts. bitching about an issue thats completely out of your control is a waste of your time
Nobody is bitching. This is a situation that GoDaddy could handle better. Some suggestions have already been made. I don’t care about what issues other companies have. We’re talking domains here...

•••
@Joe Styler
Thanks for paying attention to the discussion on the App. This has also happened to me, and it is frustrating to see "Auction Ended" only to see it start bidding again. I understand latency/connection issues, so anything you can do would be appreciated.

If updates are in the works, here's a quick "money maker" for the App -- add a new Tab that shows the highest bid auctions ending in the next "x" Minutes. This is bound to generate extra bids from people who use the App but didn't have some of the expired names on their watch list... If GoDaddy implements this feature, maybe you can give me a credit on my renewals for this year? LOL

•••
This happens quite often with me. As far as I've understood, it's the difference between your bid and other person's bid which in your app takes time to refresh.

this reminds me of high frequency trades. you have your order placed , goes threw the lag time of the servers and then just like that , you missed your exist. or entry

•••
this reminds me of high frequency trades. you have your order placed , goes threw the lag time of the servers and then just like that , you missed your exist. or entry

Never happened to me while bidding via GoDaddy Auctions website but this issue exists in their app only.

•••
The person who bid after him, or bot probably played it down to the last few seconds where the app can lag. This is a common issue in many apps as it is a refresh, and lag issue, and probably can be programmed a bit better so it doesn’t say ended, but pending.

•••
you guys catch that , ive literally seen the timer go to 0 , say im the winning bidder. but godaddy says it was running on my end, not theirs. lol. there the Cache King, making lots of Cache ,

ill be jumping on some more BS with afternic/GD fun soon on threads if they dont figure it out. there good at trying. just need to rebuild the foundation.
Given the auction closed $1000 higher, looks like it really wasn’t over,’probably just made him more mad, and he bid more, who really wins in the end?

I can’t remember the company but a few months ago there was an active bidder using a bot that waited until the last second to bid min bid only, making auctions last 3 hours on endings when a proxy was in place. I still miss the 2 min countdown.

I know this feeling, and it usually always plays out in the same scenario, the auction ends up closing much higher, and you are not the winner, and it is all probably over a 3 second lag.

Last edited:
•••
If time running out on an auction isn’t an indication that it’s over, what is? In the 2-3 seconds that the screen changed to auction ended I could’ve shut my phone off thinking I won, and rightfully so.

My first thought is to only add 60 or 90 seconds when last minute bids are placed. At least it would speed things along and cut out the games. The second thought is to not update screens to β€œauction ended” until the auction has truly ended. The service needs to work flawlessly across all platforms. This is real money we’re talking about and should be dealt with in a serious manner.

dude.
research the issues the Worlds Financial Markets deal with regarding and this problem. It is much larger then a $1500 domain miss. its a BILLION Dollar issue at hand and its dealt with every second of the day the Exchanges are open across the worlds exchanges.
its Not the Platform as home boy explained. its your CONNECTION.
so "dealing with in a serious manner"
Billion dollar companies have moved their entire set ups to gain NANO second advantages when it comes down to this shite.
HFT homie ... u aint gunna win. construct your thoughts. bitching about an issue thats completely out of your control is a waste of your time
Your issue is the cave man or the most basic issue being faced for Online or anything Computer related when it comes down to Auctions. Fwackkkk. Online betting , poker , ebay , etc etc etc

Last edited:
•••
lol
like a rock you are. its a f-ing CONNECTION issue. what dont u understand ??????
Wrong.

Their platform isn’t syncing across all devices when refreshed. If I bid with 2 mins left and the running clock resets to 5 mins, the countdown to zero should be the same no matter what. By your logic a billion different devices with different connections would see different running times. Sounds ridiculous right?!

•••
ding ding. keith wins once again folks, he is undisputed champ when it comes down to his own logic and thoughts. better luck next time.

ALOHA EVERYONE :)
Everyone has different connections right? So how many different running times should be displayed? You tell us since you know how it works.

The clock that GoDaddy displays should be in sync, regardless of what device a user chooses to bid on.

Last edited:
•••
Keith trying to explain to you would be a waste of all out time . @JoeStyler tried to explain it. He mentions Connection and Server.
I understand lag time and connection speed. Do yo self a flavor and hit the old interweb search.
πŸ€™πŸ»

•••
Again, tell us how many different times are displayed for viewers of any given auction? You can’t do it.

If time is added to an auction, the page automatically refreshes. It should refresh with the correct time, not a time that’s seconds off.

You can’t have 100 auction participants all seeing different countdowns and blame it on connection speed.

Keith

Do u want me to hold your hand and link very easy explanation videos for you ?
Instead of arguing , do a search.
Like I said. I understand all of this and the reasons why you don’t understand it.
Being an Options trader for 10yrs I quickly became trained to not fight the system of data transfer and server issue. I understand your frustrations , but come on. Get a grip. This issue is not a new bug. They can update their programs every day specifically for these problems. Are they going to work ?
No. Things could speed up. But at that point yo mist yo bus gus.
You might find it interesting if you actually read up on this problem in the Financial World.
πŸ€™πŸ»

Last edited:
•••
your like a 5yr old. get over yourself there sport. u demand answers from people like your some type of guru. when in fact your not.
u simply dont understand wtf it is your trying to fight here. good night. continue to try and push. call tech support. stop your baby bitching
You can’t claim to know something while being unable to answer the basics. You said you know what’s up so enlighten us. How many different times are displayed if 100 people are viewing a running auction? We’ll wait...

•••
Don't use the GoDaddy app to do auction stuff because there is a time lag between the app and the website.
Always use the website and * fast internet connection helps.

•••
•••
Never happened to me while bidding via GoDaddy Auctions website but this issue exists in their app only.
They’re choosing to run auctions via an app. Time went beyond zero and they accepted further bidding. It should be a closed case, although knowing them it won’t be @Joe Styler

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back