Domain Empire

Locked out of GoDaddy account

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
2 factor authentication on Godaddy investor app didn't work. It didn't send out the text message to my phone so I went to Godaddy.com to login and got this error "We're sorry, but this phone number cannot be used."

Talked to customer support and was told to go to ChangeUpdate.com (GoDaddy department) to make a request to remove the 2 factor authentication. Waiting for them to remove it.

I had issues with the app sending the codes twice but never got locked out like today.

Did anyone of you face 2 factor authentication issue with the app today?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks - I saw your DM to me so I'll work with you through there to make sure this is solved for you.

•••
I got access back to my account. thanks to @James Iles 👍

•••
(y)

Last edited:
•••
Any chance on letting us know what the fix was? godaddy support told me to "reset" my internet despite the problem happening on multiple different devices.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Awesome will do once mothers day passes :)

•••
I've had a similar issue. Auto renewal failed for the domain used by one of our hospitals 6 days ago and we didn't realize this until our entire hospital lost external email access on that domain yesterday morning. The phone number on the account is the primary external number for the hospital and can't receive an SMS code so both my two factor options on the owner account are unusable at this point.

That's okay, all is not lost because when we set this up we were smart enough to make our two GoDaddy accounts delegates for each other, we're not totally stupid. Log in with the delegate account which can two factor successfully (since it's using a different email domain that has a staggered renewal date) and.... find that delegates can't process the renewal. Kind of begs the question why you would have a delegate who can delete your domain but can't pay for it to be kept intact...

Called CIRA as we deal with them directly on a lot of solution (it's a .ca domain) and they investigated for us and confirmed that while we're still in the grace period for some reason GoDaddy decided to get a head start and revert the name servers to default without telling anyone. Called back to GoDaddy support and after accessing the account with the delegate we go find that it's not authorized to request the name servers be reverted to what they were 40 hours ago, since it was an automated change GoDaddy triggered based on the auto renewal payment failing.

Again to be clear, I'm not requesting NEW name servers as that would be understandably sketchy, just trying to revert GoDaddy's change so I can successfully two factor the primary account and process the renewal.

I've called in about a dozen times over the last 24 hours trying every angle I can think of to get us back up and running but the circular logic is killing me. Definitely a lot of lessons learned for our other account but that's not helping the hospital that's gone dark.

I submitted the domain recovery request yesterday and included the renewal failure notice as well as the documentation of when we originally transferred the domain to the account so now I'm just waiting.

Hopefully @James Iles is working today... I need some help in the worst way.

•••
•••
I would suggest email support [email protected] in the meantime as an alternative.
Yes I called in to create a support ticket right away and called back multiple times over the first two days. Unfortunately the consistent line I got was that support can't assist with processing account renewals in any way if the customer doesn't have the ability to do it themselves. I requested to be escalated to a supervisor or manager but was always either refused citing GoDaddy policy or the call dropped in transfer.

Since in my case when the renewal grace period initiated GoDaddy switched the name servers which broke my 2 factor authentication for my owner account which was tied to that domain, and their support is not authorized to revert the nameservers back the only option they presented was the domain recovery process.

While we can 2 factor authenticate with another account that was previously setup to insure against something like this, there is now much more granual access needed for delegate accounts than there was at that time. As a result that account can't do much other than delete the domain completly. It can't switch the name servers back or even add a simple MX record which would get the mail flowing again so I could successfully 2 factor my owner account and put all back in good standing.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I definitely should have dug deeper into GoDaddy's policies myself rather than trusting the advice of a co-worker (the useless delegate) who has worked with them forever. His account has the same logic issues as mine (since I based mine on his template) and he's one bounced payment away from being the next post in this thread. He's going to have the option to make changes proactively although some of GoDaddy support's recommendations (like using Gmail accounts for all domain owner accounts) need to be taken with a grain of salt.

My ticket with to recover the account is slowly progressing through the authentication process but the lack of direct contact other than generic requests for information doesn't exactly appear a hospital CEO who wants to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone until she can prove whatever she needs to prove to bring services back up.

To me the overall system seems far more concerned on how GoDaddy can expedite reselling a domain the instant the grace period elapses than helping a long time customer correct a billing mistake which is the only blemish on their record. Soon upper management will decide to start referring to usas a former customer who after extensive damage to their business was forced to switch to a provider who can be responsive when needed.

•••
•••
E-mail him at jstyler @ godaddy.com

•••
Hey all. I've been at NamesCon all week - I'm catching up. Please feel free to DM me. Happy to point you in the right direction

•••
Hey all. I've been at NamesCon all week - I'm catching up. Please feel free to DM me. Happy to point you in the right direction
Thanks, I have done so. I appreciate the assistance.

•••
Hello, I am sort of new to this forum
facing the same issue with my Godaddy account locked out and cannot use the 2sv keeps saying sorry this phone number can't be used
Don't know how to send a DM here :( , is this named conversation??

Last edited:
•••
•••
Contact James
Thank you so so much for your help, it is so depressive issue and annoying
I sent email and message in conversation

•••
Thanks - I saw your DM to me so I'll work with you through there to make sure this is solved for you.
hello sir i got some issue, can u help me ?

•••
Same issue with me as well. I sent a msg to James and he alerted the tech team.

•••
•••
•••
Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm aware of a few issues with 2FA, which are being looked in to. If you're having issues, please make the support team your first port of call - https://www.godaddy.com/en-uk/contact-us as they're best positioned to help you with this.

But please feel free to message me to keep me posted if you're having an issue here.

•••
I contacted support as well yesterday and they told me the issue is affecting a lot of accounts.

•••
I've been told the issue is affecting a lot of accounts however I need to access my account. Going back through this thread it seems like this has been happening for over a month with no clear end in sight.
The 2 factor authentication is saying "We're sorry, but this phone number cannot be used." I've requested that 2FA be removed but no one is coming back to help.
I've spoken on the phone with customer support who are telling me to wait it out. I'm really upset and there isn't a thing I can do about it.

•••
Same issue here and no response yet to removing my 2 factor authentication. Has anyone had any luck getting a progress update? I see it is on their status page as being investigated but no estimate time for resolution.

I called again today and was told that there is no timescale to be provided

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back