Domain Empire

discuss LLLL .com prices

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I am still seeing crazy prices on godaddy expiring auctions for sub premium 4 letter domains. Seems the ball is still rolling for the expiring market places but have you noticed lower prices for your own domains?

Recently I had PAQH.com in auction on godaddy which I did not buy any upgrades for. The end price was in the low $xxx range, a far cry from the normal $1500+ bids there are in expiring auctions.

How can one attract those bidders to a public auction? Well I think it's the same as any marketplace, need to get your listings exposed, I am going to try to buy category and homepage feature upgrades. Let's see if that does the trick :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The $1500 ones are mostly Chinese premiums , PAQH.com is not .. so unless you can somehow get that "A" out of the middle and replace it for a letter that is not a vowel - low $xxx is a very good price :)

•••
Low $xxx is good for PAQH.
We see $xxxx for CCCC domains. No vowels and no Vs.

•••
•••
•••
I don't understand what you are trying to say publishing this old link.
Agreed, is from 2002. Also I have done by outbound marketing already.

•••
low xxx for paqh is a fair market value . . .

very specific combinations of letters are drawing $xxxx prices

BJ is an obvious one as is CN

•••
I am still seeing crazy prices on godaddy expiring auctions for sub premium 4 letter domains. Seems the ball is still rolling for the expiring market places but have you noticed lower prices for your own domains?

Recently I had PAQH.com in auction on godaddy which I did not buy any upgrades for. The end price was in the low $xxx range, a far cry from the normal $1500+ bids there are in expiring auctions.
I can't find the original comment, but on another thread it was said that many domainers will gladly pay dearly to the "house" as opposed to putting money in the pockets of a competitor. Sad state of affairs IMO.

Another reason, and certainly a valid one, is that expired auction wins generally tend to result in less troublesome transactions. Expired auctions are the lion's share at GoDaddy and will always get the most attention.

The disparity in prices achieved, though, is significant and sometimes a real head-scratcher.

•••
in the pockets of a competitor.

Competitor ? With thousands of domainers out there, there's no such thing as a competitor.

•••
I have written that before Forge, as I have had people say that to me personally.The one that stood out the most was a name on Go Daddy Auctions at $10 starting bid, I text a friend because it is a niche he buys and has spent x,xxx on names. He texts back "COOL,thx" He texts back 10 min later, "this is a public auction idiot" I said so what it is a name that I thought you would like. He said if it was expired sure, but I don't want to put money in some domain owners pocket.

Look years ago people asked Frank Schilling on his blog, why not buy from me instead of NameJet less competition and I am priced cheaper.

Frank said he liked using NameJet because he knew he would get the domain name. He said that one off purchases were also not desirable.

I have run tests on 4l.com that Adam Dicker owned, names that were over $1,200 with three days left, renewed, immediate 7 day auction, not one went over $400.

I know one time I forgot to renew Wingo.org, I transferred it out on day 45 to Name.com so I saw where the auction closed $120, no one offering me $120 for that name if I list it here or on Go Daddy public auction. People just prefer the expired for many reasons even though some say there is no truth to it, I have been testing it for over a decade.

•••
I have written that before Forge, as I have had people say that to me personally.The one that stood out the most was a name on Go Daddy Auctions at $10 starting bid, I text a friend because it is a niche he buys and has spent x,xxx on names. He texts back "COOL,thx" He texts back 10 min later, "this is a public auction idiot" I said so what it is a name that I thought you would like. He said if it was expired sure, but I don't want to put money in some domain owners pocket.

Look years ago people asked Frank Schilling on his blog, why not buy from me instead of NameJet less competition and I am priced cheaper.

Frank said he liked using NameJet because he knew he would get the domain name. He said that one off purchases were also not desirable.

I have run tests on 4l.com that Adam Dicker owned, names that were over $1,200 with three days left, renewed, immediate 7 day auction, not one went over $400.

I know one time I forgot to renew Wingo.org, I transferred it out on day 45 to Name.com so I saw where the auction closed $120, no one offering me $120 for that name if I list it here or on Go Daddy public auction. People just prefer the expired for many reasons even though some say there is no truth to it, I have been testing it for over a decade.
So, where can we sell our LLLL names for these elevated prices if not at godaddy?

•••
So, where can we sell our LLLL names for these elevated prices if not at godaddy?

Direct to PinYin buyers or try 4.cn; if you can navigate the language barrier then you can sell for a better profit than on forums.

•••
Direct to PinYin buyers or try 4.cn; if you can navigate the language barrier then you can sell for a better profit than on forums.
I can't ever seem to be able to figure out 4.cn and how to actually start a listing.

•••
I am not sure if one would start a business with a random 4 letter word like PAQH or PATR or PAHQ (just made a words) unless you already have association/group/company that it abbreviates to. Would you start a business under that name if it is just four random letters? May be I am missing out something that I do not see. Or is it just speculation that is driving the prices up (in case it is going up) but I see lot of chatter about these.

•••
I always said when some company asks, " What would be the best new feature we could roll out ? " Let me show my current names as expired. Jackpot.

•••
For example, my bnnh was sold at GD for $355, I see recent sales list at GD:
dbgk.com $1,210.00,
hybh.com $1,335.00
cnmw.com $5,560.00
wccg.com $1,500.00
wllz.com $1,116.00
bjxt.com $5,110.00
xthh.com $1,535.00
yjsp.com $5,000.00
lggn.com $722.00

Why these domains were sold much more expensive than bnnh? I think, that bnnh is better than these...

•••
Cn and bj
China and Beijing

And the expired auction phenomenon mentioned by equity78

•••
Yes there is a logic in equity78 post.

Recently I auctioned my domain ryrk.com at Godaddy with home page feature.

It is a chinese premium but still the highest bid was only 325 USD.

But I can see so many other domains reach the 1500+ range. (Chinese premium LLLL's)

•••
Yes there is a logic in equity78 post.

Recently I auctioned my domain ryrk.com at Godaddy with home page feature.

It is a chinese premium but still the highest bid was only 325 USD.

But I can see so many other domains reach the 1500+ range. (Chinese premium LLLL's)
The reason is that most buyers are looking for Expired domains auctions. They do not check and do not see Private listings.

•••
You can buy CCCC.coms for $100 and down easily...

•••
Unless I am seriously missing something, domainers (possibly very stupid domainers) are paying in the realm of end user prices for LLLL at TDNAM expiring. I've done spot checks using NameBio's sales history (LLLL.com, GoDaddy, $1,000+) and I can't find any that are developed out.

Why would domainers who know that you can't pay more than lowish mid $xx for these all of the sudden start paying $1,000+? I don't think it's experienced domainers buying these. And it's really bizarre that they sell for low $x,xxx at expiring, but so much less everywhere else.

Here is a Flippa auction with 17 LLLL .coms that ended at $1,925.
https://flippa.com/4508465-27-premi...tter-17-domains-and-10-brandable-in-1-auction
That would have been around $20,000 at GoDaddy expiring. I don't believe for one second that someone would rather buy two TDNAM expirings than 17 in one shot at Flippa.

Something is really weird about all of this.....

•••
Expiring auctions gets all the buzz and newbie investors don't research much!

•••
Maybe it's worth to mention that in these names there is not one single premium one, neither for a westerner nor for a Chinese

•••
https://flippa.com/4508465-27-premi...tter-17-domains-and-10-brandable-in-1-auction
That would have been around $20,000 at GoDaddy expiring. I don't believe for one second that someone would rather buy two TDNAM expirings than 17 in one shot at Flippa.

Bad example. They are not premium and $1925 is a good price for this lot. Such domains are selling for around $100 each

•••
Unless I am seriously missing something, domainers (possibly very stupid domainers) are paying in the realm of end user prices for LLLL at TDNAM expiring. I've done spot checks using NameBio's sales history (LLLL.com, GoDaddy, $1,000+) and I can't find any that are developed out.

Why would domainers who know that you can't pay more than lowish mid $xx for these all of the sudden start paying $1,000+? I don't think it's experienced domainers buying these. And it's really bizarre that they sell for low $x,xxx at expiring, but so much less everywhere else.

Importance of the name is the eyes of the user/visitor - has any thing changed in that regard, let us ask ourselves. Have you just started going to the sites that are four letter random words. Without user's perspective, a name has no significance, of its own or otherwise.

I totally agree with the conclusion that it is novice domainers, like this person bought 17 names for $1925 - it shows - he is obviously a domainer (no end user will buy 17 names), and he thinks he sells each for $300-$350 or at least some at higher (which he does not know which ones - because he has no idea which one is better - because there is none). I started registering names in 98/99 and did not even think of such names because in my perspective - just four random letter words - who will buy those - only the companies whose name abbreviate to this (and they probably are operating under that abbreviations already)

Well, it is free market, it will 'calibrate' again. Domain industry is one of the most stable industries I have seen over years, quality value names maintain their ground year over year. There are ripples like this off and on, but in general - it stays steady. People (Domainers) forget the point that it is largely governed by users/visitors perspective and not domainers, and users/visitors go with how they think about a name in their daily life, not what is 'hot' in auctions, drops and anywhere else. They even do not know about these places. They do not even know that this market exists.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back