Dynadot

status-resolved Limit Viewing Requests/WTB Forum for Repeat Violators

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

N-A

Account Closed
Impact
The title says it all.

If the requirements are clear and concise in a WTB thread and the buyer decides to report the private message received from a seller that does not meet requirements, this should go against the seller and subsequently, the seller should ultimately be unable to see the requests/wtb forum after so many warnings to prevent them from being tempted to spam again.

It has come to my attention that I am not the only member who posted a WTB thread that got the same message as another member when the domains sent didn't meet either of our requirements.

So, if sellers can't abide by submitting domains that meet the requirements of buyers, they shouldn't be able to see the forum to limit them being able to essentially spam buyers and waste our time; these sellers are making a mockery of the WTB forum and should be punished for it.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So, if sellers can't abide by submitting domains that meet the requirements of buyers, they shouldn't be able to see the forum to limit them being able to essentially spam buyers and waste our time; these sellers are making a mockery of the WTB forum and should be punished for it.
Really not sure how things work behind the scenes but if they lose thus right..do they have to be signed in to see that part of the forum?
Can't they view as a guest then sign in and send there spam PM's

Also if they are reported as "spamming" through PM..aren't they limited to amount of PM's they csn send?

Sorry that you had to go through this.

•••
Can't they view as a guest then sign in and send there spam PM's
I suppose this would be a work-around, but, if a limited viewer would do that I could only assume it'd result in a complete ban as they obviously can't follow any rules.

•••
good idea to take a look at this issue

i noticed some members posting in almost every wtb thread, as if they have names meeting everyone's criteria

or they post " are you interest in 3 letter .org with a number?, when OP is looking for LLL.org

also, maybe take a look at closing some old threads.

where threads 6 months old or more with no updates from OP, are probably obsolete.

Thanks
imo...

•••
I suppose this would be a work-around, but, if a limited viewer would do that I could only assume it'd result in a complete ban as they obviously can't follow any rules.
Well..in my opinion, a spammer ("black hatter) play by their own rules and never think of consequences..

•••
Repeat offenders will have their NamePros account auto-closed from too many infractions. Once that happens, they can't see any forums or start new messages.

Please report every instance of this happening and the warning system will do its job. If it's not reported, then it will continue to happen.

Thanks for your help,

•••
Also if they are reported as "spamming" through PM..aren't they limited to amount of PM's they csn send?
Yes, that's how it works.

•••
good idea to take a look at this issue

i noticed some members posting in almost every wtb thread, as if they have names meeting everyone's criteria

or they post " are you interest in 3 letter .org with a number?, when OP is looking for LLL.org

also, maybe take a look at closing some old threads.

where threads 6 months old or more with no updates from OP, are probably obsolete.

Thanks
imo...

We do close threads, technically no posts after one month should get them closed.

•••
Repeat offenders will have their NamePros account auto-closed from too many infractions. Once that happens, they can't see any forums or start new messages.
So, since the below comment by @biggie is against the rules per say, if I (or any other member that cares about the integrity of this community) report posts by members containing these types of questions or domains not matching the buyer's request (as mentioned, the criteria is already mentioned: buyers want LLL for instance; if they wanted LLN, they would have requested it as well), the "seller" will ultimately receive infractions? And after so many instances, if they don't comply, their accounts at namePros will be closed?

I think this would be a great announcement as a sticky coming from management in the request forum to clarify this. I'm tired of seeing, like @biggie, "I'm looking for a two-word product domain in .com" and someone suggesting "dentalamericainsurancenyc.xyz" (example, but, not far from reality here).

Last edited:
•••
Another suggestion, as opposed to making the forum limited to only repeat violators as there could be a programming issue that could cost more time and effort necessary is to make it a completely private forum for those that belong to the "New Member" group (I don't know what the settings of this group are, but let's say, 10 posts, 10 days, etc. for example).

As WTB is a great place for sellers to advertise their names (for as long as it meets the criteria), they're more than able to still post in the marketplace until they understand that buyers in WTB are seeking specific domains and if they wanted the suggested ones that are most likely already posted in the marketplace, the buyer would have already made an offer or bought it.

/end rant

•••
•••
make it a completely private forum for those that belong to the "New Member" group (I don't know what the settings of this group are, but let's say, 10 posts, 10 days, etc. for example).
New members have proven to be resourceful, clever, and determined when it comes to selling their names. Viewing WTB threads as guests and then using the Conversations (PM) system to send those messages instead would be trivial for most of them. It would make the problem less public (moved to PM instead of public threads) and more difficult for the community to help us catch/report it. It's unlikely it would alleviate the problem more than issuing warnings.

if I (or any other member that cares about the integrity of this community) report posts by members containing these types of questions or domains not matching the buyer's request, the "seller" will ultimately receive infractions? And after so many instances, if they don't comply, their accounts at namePros will be closed?
Correct.

•••
WTB threads as guests and then using the Conversations (PM) system to send those messages instead would be trivial for most of them.
I honestly don't see how this is possible. I'm fairly certain that there is a setting in XenForo to disable the viewing of a forum for guests as well. There's no reason for a guest to be viewing a WTB thread with the intention of selling a name without being a member at namePros; they can join and learn that this option is available to them in addition to the marketplace.

It's my pet-peeve seeing these kinds of posts, and, it's very irritating getting these "PM sent" names that do not match criteria whatsoever. Even if I asked for .com names only (.com being my only criteria), I guarantee that I would still receive .net, etc. or a question if I am interested in .net.
I'll make an effort every time I see a "New Posts" under the WTB section to check it to see if it matches the OP's criteria in order to report it. I find it odd that "legitimate questions" regarding the criteria are acceptable posts as well. If the seller specifically states "I only want LLL.com", under absolute no condition, should a seller be asking and/or stating, "Are you interested in LLN?" It's clearly stated in the buyer's post that they want LLL.com only. There are no, ifs, ands, or buts to this being a legitimate question.

I encourage every namePros member to do the same as well if you want the WTB section cleaned up and some order put in place. One day you may be looking for a name and will unable to find it on namePros due to this mass disarray that is before us already, or, perhaps, you've already attempted using this section and had already given up using it.

@Eric Lyon , I suggest a sticky to be made in this forum to follow the rules as well. The sooner sellers get it in their heads, the better.

•••
I'm fairly certain that there is a setting in XenForo to disable the viewing of a forum for guests as well.
Yes, but that's not something we will do. That will limit exposure of those threads.

It's my pet-peeve seeing these kinds of posts, and, it's very irritating getting these "PM sent" names that do not match criteria whatsoever.
I understand that it is frustrating. It shouldn't be happening. The only recourse is for everyone to pitch in and report it when it happens.

I suggest a sticky to be made in this forum to follow the rules as well.
Experience has shown us that those who are causing these issues don't read the rules and have tunnel vision toward their goal. A sticky thread is highly unlikely to do anything. We could add one for good measure, but brace yourself for it being ineffective.

Reminders and then infractions are the only solution that will cause a real change, one way or another.

•••
I totally agree a clean up in WTB forum would be welcomed.

This suggestion I made could help:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-should-namepros-add.920208/page-6#post-5763761

If they don't use the new PM button and are banned from WTB, their infraction should rack up more points and a more severe suspension (etc).

Another thing that would help is to get OPs to post very clear requirements. Not sure how we'd do this, but making the criteria more clear would allow bad and spammy posts and PMs to be more easily identified, rather than grey areas making it hard to moderate.

I saw one recently "I want any .com". If that's what they want then sure, but I am certain their criteria would be more than that even if a little bit, and this sort of thing must be a nightmare for spam (I'd hate to see their inbox).

•••
Glad this thread surfaced again. While we're on this topic, penalizing sellers who do not follow the requirements, can we also please mandate at least a response from the buyer? Either a deal or rejection (or other) but a mandatory response?

•••
Glad this thread surfaced again. While we're on this topic, penalizing sellers who do not follow the requirements, can we also please mandate at least a response from the buyer? Either a deal or rejection (or other) but a mandatory response?
We can look into adding some sort of button that says "not interested" to help. I've added it to our internal list to consider. Thanks,

•••
We can look into adding some sort of button that says "not interested" to help. I've added it to our internal list to consider. Thanks,

Excellent. Thank you for this. A lot of times, I don't offer domains to an interested party as I'm waiting for a response on a previous offer. This should help conclude discussions faster.

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back