Dynadot

status-monitor Buy Requests

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Haroon Basha

Service.xyzTop Member
Impact
Hello,
This thread is related to Buy Requests posts.
How many of you are taking it easy for the Buyer's rigid conditions, arrogance in tone and a threat for not complying to his excessive demands? Some buyers wrote their buy requisite as if the sellers are beggars. My blood boils when I read their dictatorial attitude in their buy requests. How many of you take it lightly it is okay if the buyer says, I will not respond if I am not interested. Why do they think that the Sellers are so cheap and they are like aristocrats? How many of you agree that it is buyers prerogative to ask a 4 letter dot com name for $ 50?
Please share your views here and ultimately, NamePros should tone down Buy Request contents a tolerable one and not make the readers/sellers sick.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@bmugford I completely agree that NamePros should do something constructive in this regard, to filter genuine buyers from bogus time pass buyers. Some Buy Request make no sense at all. Unless the @Mod Team Bravo Moderators clean up this section, the genuine sellers will lose genuine buyers.

Yes, you have a bit of the chicken and egg type issue. Without serious buyers there are not serious sellers and vice versa.

I am always an active buyer of quality domains @ reseller prices. AKA price ranges they would sell for on auction venues, not $1,000 domains for $50.

I am sure I am not the only potential buyer on the sidelines with capital because I don't feel like dealing with the nonsense and the time drain. If there was a more efficient system, or section that required some type of extra vetting it would probably help the issue.

There also needs to be a way to report the obvious clutter. I am sorry but there is absolutely no reason for threads to exist where someone is offering a few thousand for a LLL.com or something. NamePros does need to use common sense as Samer said earlier.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Here is an example - https://www.namepros.com/threads/domain-buyer-requests-we-will-need-stronger-antibiotics.1173448/

Explain to me how buy threads like that deserve space on the forum. You should be able to report it, and they are removed with a status like "Your price expectations are too far below market value" or something like that.

I went on to make a thread parodying this lack of action by NamePros, which Raymond talked about here and lead to a long back and forth discussion - https://tldinvestors.com/2020/01/now-namepros-is-really-getting-ridiculous.html

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Yes, you have a bit of the chicken and egg type issue. Without serious buyers there are not serious sellers and vice versa.

I am always an active buyer of quality domains @ reseller prices. AKA price ranges they would sell for on auction venues, not $1,000 domains for $50.

I am sure I am not the only potential buyer on the sidelines with capital because I don't feel like dealing with the nonsense and the time drain. If there was a more efficient system, or section that required some type of extra vetting it would probably help the issue.

There also needs to be a way to report the obvious clutter. I am sorry but there is absolutely no reason for threads to exist where someone is offering a few thousand for a LLL.com or something. NamePros does need to use common sense as Samer said earlier.

Brad
Yesterday I find one such ridiculous buy request where he wants LLL dot com for $ 5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

•••
That section of the forum is like window shopping.

Simple solution, don't offer your names.

imo

•••
Let's try to come up with ways for members to hide those requests.

For example, the community could report when they've had a successful transaction with a member due to the member's request thread, and then sellers could filter requests by "X successful transactions in the last Y days." However, this would be easy to manipulate among groups of friends on NamePros.

Any ideas?
First of all, buyers should be enforced to reply, if the domains sent meet their condition, if the seller can waste their time sending a PM, with all the conditions fulfilled , than for sure the seller can waste their time responding to their PM- everybody is saying that the domains respecting the conditions are just a fraction of the total, so it should not be so hard and this way we can get rid of the one's fishing.
Second, the one's spamming are mostly the same, so give them a warning for each time they spam and send something totally unrelated and for three warnings ban them for a month or something like that, from sending PM and accessing the request domains sections.
Third, there are people who have like 10 request( lot's of new account as well) but they never buy, so clearly it's a fishing expedition, limit them to three or so in a month and ban them from bumping their thread in that month, if they have 3 request, tens or hundreds of replies that meet their conditions but they still didn't bought anything.
For sure we can find a few other rules, to get rid of the time wasters on both sides.

•••
First of all, buyers should be enforced to reply, if the domains sent meet their condition, if the seller can waste their time sending a PM, with all the conditions fulfilled , than for sure the seller can waste their time responding to their PM- everybody is saying that the domains respecting the conditions are just a fraction of the total, so it should not be so hard and this way we can get rid of the one's fishing.
Second, the one's spamming are mostly the same, so give them a warning for each time they spam and send something totally unrelated and for three warnings ban them for a month or something like that, from sending PM and accessing the request domains sections.
Third, there are people who have like 10 request( lot's of new account as well) but they never buy, so clearly it's a fishing expedition, limit them to three or so in a month and ban them from bumping their thread in that month, if they have 3 request, tens or hundreds of replies that meet their conditions but they still didn't bought anything.
For sure we can find a few other rules, to get rid of the time wasters on both sides.

NamePros should consider the suggestion of FORCING THE BUYERS TO REPLY TO THE SELLERS'S SUBMISSION. Yes if the Seller sent unwanted names or in violation of the Buyer's criteria, the Buyer can report the matter to the Moderator. @Mod Team Bravo

•••
I don't see it unreasonable when someone says he will not respond to offers he doesn't like.
It is his request and he should have the preprogative to reply to only those he likes, unless he is open to negotiations. It saves the times of both buyer and seller. If you don't like it, just move on. I don't bid on every auction I see.

But the ridiculous pricing can be capped by setting some sort of a price expecation cap I guess. Reasonable is subjective, so I am not quite sure if there should be a price control from the Admins, because I doubt if any of the unreasonable offers are getting any response at all. So Market will auto correct it.

Or some pricing guideling like LLLL no less than 100, CVCV no less than 1000, tripple premium 300 and so on. But again, there is no standard price for a domain. I am not sure if it is affecting the industry or anybody in particular. If your domain can fetch 100 usd on the Auctions, why not do an Auction, Instead of offering it someone who is simply fishing for bargain domains.

I mean if you don't like the request, move on, right?

•••
NamePros should consider the suggestion of FORCING THE BUYERS TO REPLY TO THE SELLERS'S SUBMISSION. Yes if the Seller sent unwanted names or in violation of the Buyer's criteria, the Buyer can report the matter to the Moderator. @Mod Team Bravo

This would never work IMHO and good request threads would be gone.

Hundreds of thousands of privately owned federal reserve funny money debt notes in the form of numbers on a screen already change hands each year for one of a kind domain names because of the section - as-is.

I try to respond to a lot of requests, but never reply to all of them.

Time is the one priceless and most valuable asset we all have in common. There is no replacement for our time.

It's already a grueling process to deal with the wanted threads as a buyer as-is and forcing buyers to respond would shove away legit threads and potential transactions.

On a positive note.....there are a lot of good buys happening because of request threads, I've made a few in recent weeks that only happened because of wanted threads.

I very very rarely report messages that are not what I requested.., but it has happened a handful of times when it so obviously awful and unmatched to what I request like random .in names with letters and numbers when I'm requesting LLLL.com

And I confirm and agree with the sentiment that there are too many threads that are too rigid and too unrealistic.

Who wants to send names to a buyer who posts something crazy like "I'll report you if your message doesn't fit my exact criteria!" and the criteria is a GD Appraisal Range, combined with number of TLDs registered, combined with age requirements, combined with pricing caps, combined with niche specifics....
while compiling this with the emphasis that they are a reseller and to not be expected anything but a low % of such requested GD appraisal and if they're asking price is higher than said % of GD value that warrants a report too!! SMH

Most people with good domains tend to know what they have, and they are not offloading them on a reseller forum.

NamePros could certainly make some changes to improve the section. It is long overdue really.

Brad

I imagine it has been discussed, but perhaps as an industry we would stand stronger and taller if we abolished the term "reseller" !!???

That term does not shine the greatest light on venues such as this one or on our industry as a whole.

Are car sale lots called "resellers?"

-I've never seen an ad from a car buyer saying they are a reseller, have you?.

Are housing investment companies called "resellers?"

-I've never seen an ad for a property buyer calling themselves resellers, have you?

Are sellers with wholesale accounts selling food products called "resellers?"

I've never seen a company or individual selling products such as food calling themselves resellers, have you?

Are precious metals companies called "resellers?"

I've never seen a company heavy in this business call themselves "resellers"....
Yes - Plenty of signs saying "We buy gold" or "Sell your gold here" etc....
But never a sign saying "We are gold resellers, come on in for offers 50% below spot prices"

Is there another industry where the most common term to describe transactions on a wholesale/industry level is "resellers" besides our industry?

Last edited:
•••
I don't see it unreasonable when someone says he will not respond to offers he doesn't like.
It is his request and he should have the preprogative to reply to only those he likes, unless he is open to negotiations. It saves the times of both buyer and seller. If you don't like it, just move on. I don't bid on every auction I see.

But the ridiculous pricing can be capped by setting some sort of a price expecation cap I guess. Reasonable is subjective, so I am not quite sure if there should be a price control from the Admins, because I doubt if any of the unreasonable offers are getting any response at all. So Market will auto correct it.

Or some pricing guideling like LLLL no less than 100, CVCV no less than 1000, tripple premium 300 and so on. But again, there is no standard price for a domain. I am not sure if it is affecting the industry or anybody in particular. If your domain can fetch 100 usd on the Auctions, why not do an Auction, Instead of offering it someone who is simply fishing for bargain domains.

I mean if you don't like the request, move on, right?
So, it doesn't seems to you that it's not fair for the seller. So, you are asking a question, you have a request to a community, to a few members, doesn't matter and when they respond, it doesn't sound reasonable enough to reply, if he wasted his time, you can waste a few seconds as well. Think about going to a market, asking how much are the tomatoes, the seller respond $5 and you just mind your way, without even responding, it's not exactly the same, but the feeling for the seller it's the same.

•••

Hundreds of thousands of privately owned federal reserve funny money debt notes in the form of numbers on a screen already change hands each year for one of a kind domain names because of the section - as-is.

I try to respond to a lot of requests, but never reply to all of them.

Time is the one priceless and most valuable asset we all have in common. There is no replacement for our time.

It's already a grueling process to deal with the wanted threads as a buyer as-is and forcing buyers to respond would shove away legit threads and potential transactions.

On a positive note.....there are a lot of good buys happening because of request threads, I've made a few in recent weeks that only happened because of wanted threads.

I very very rarely report messages that are not what I requested.., but it has happened a handful of times when it so obviously awful and unmatched to what I request like random .in names with letters and numbers when I'm requesting LLLL.com

And I confirm and agree with the sentiment that there are too many threads that are too rigid and too unrealistic.

Who wants to send names to a buyer who posts something crazy like "I'll report you if your message doesn't fit my exact criteria!" and the criteria is a GD Appraisal Range, combined with number of TLDs registered, combined with age requirements, combined with pricing caps, combined with niche specifics....
while compiling this with the emphasis that they are a reseller and to not be expected anything but a low % of such requested GD appraisal and if they're asking price is higher than said % of GD value that warrants a report too!! SMH

I imagine it has been discussed, but perhaps as an industry we would stand stronger and taller if we abolished the term "reseller" !!???

That term does shine the greatest light on venues such as this one or on our industry.

Are car sale lots called "resellers?"

-I've never seen an ad from a car buyer saying they are a reseller, have you?.

Are housing investment companies called "resellers?"

-I've never seen an ad for a property buyer calling themselves resellers, have you?

Are sellers with wholesale accounts selling food products called "resellers?"

I've never seen a company or individual selling products such as food calling themselves resellers, have you?

Are precious metals companies called "resellers?"

I've never seen a company heavy in this business call themselves "resellers"....
Yes - Plenty of signs saying "We buy gold" or "Sell your gold here" etc....
But never a sign saying "We are gold resellers, come on in for offers 50% - 75% below spot prices"

Is there another industry where the most common term to describe transactions on a wholesale/industry level is "resellers" besides our industry?
So if time is a priceless asset for you, do you don't think that it goes both ways? I've stopped to respond to lots of buyers who don't reply back , because it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Probably like me, there are hundreds or more sellers, who stopped replying, just because of this and than buyers are complaining that the replies are mostly from spammers.

Last edited:
•••
So if time is a priceless asset for you, do you don't think that it goes both ways? I've stopped to respond to lots of buyers who don't reply back , because it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Probably like me, there are hundreds or more sellers, who stopped replying, just because of this and than buyers are complaining that the replies are mostly from spammers.

Time is a priceless asset for all of us - the most valuable one of all. These human suits expire much sooner than a domain with a forever registration.

People are inundated with messages from buyer request threads.

I offer a quick "no thanks" typically if there is zero interest.

In the post as a buyer I mention that no response means no interest, but express gratitude for the inquiry.

It's not good to keep loops of information hanging in limbo without a strict 10101 clear response of binary nature being a yes or no . . . Agreed.

•••
Time is a priceless asset for all of us - the most valuable one of all. These human suits expire much sooner than a domain with a forever registration.

People are inundated with messages from buyer request threads.

I offer a quick "no thanks" typically if there is zero interest.

In the post as a buyer I mention that no response means no interest, but express gratitude for the inquiry.

It's not good to keep loops of information hanging in limbo without a strict 10101 clear response of binary nature being a yes or no . . . Agreed.
A 'no thanks' or 'not what I'm looking for it's more important than most think...it means that somebody is reading the email, so you are not wasting your time, it means that you are respected, as much as you respect the buyer..so just two words can make a big difference, can bring you more sellers and it can build a bridge for the future...you never know when a seller will have a domain you want, but he stopped replying to inquiries because of no reply in the past.

•••
A 'no thanks' or 'not what I'm looking for it's more important than most think...it means that somebody is reading the email, so you are not wasting your time, it means that you are respected, as much as you respect the buyer..so just two words can make a big difference, can bring you more sellers and it can build a bridge for the future...you never know when a seller will have a domain you want, but he stopped replying to inquiries because of no reply in the past.

It's true.

Which is why I respond more often than I don't. :woot:

On the flip side - as a seller of a massive portfolio of premium domains like say Nat Cohen has, one has to pay $20 to even make an offer on an individual name! O_o

Can you imagine the energetic drain of fielding hundreds of weekly lowball offers on dozens of LLL.coms?(n)

Well, some of us can imagine this scenario if we held a chunk of the 456,976 LLLL.coms a few years ago. :xf.wink:

•••

I agree. It is not reasonable to ask a buyer to respond to every domain they are not interested in. When I created threads I got hundreds of DMs.

What value does it really add for me to go - "No Thanks. Not Interested." hundreds of times?

Also, last time I checked there was a wait time between DMs. So not only are you responding to hundreds, you have to wait for the time between each one. There is no fast way to do it.

When a seller sends a message it is one message. A buyer has to respond to potentially hundreds. That is not an equal time drain. No thanks.

That term does not shine the greatest light on venues such as this one or on our industry as a whole.

I would have no problem using a different term, that is just the industry standard so people understand it.
Maybe "wholesale" would be more appropriate. That is a tense a lot of businesses use until the product finds an end user.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I would have no problem using a different term, that is just the industry standard so people understand it.
Maybe "wholesale" would be more appropriate. That is a tense a lot of the middle man businesses use until the product finds an end user.

Brad

How about "dealer" or even "vendor" ?

"To deal" or "to vend" sounds more appealing on both sides than "to resell"

•••
Hello,

There are some excellent ideas in this thread. B-)

We had a few ideas ourselves, and along with your feedback, we should be able to make it a lot better.

The development team is very busy with a few other projects for the forums, but they know this is a priority as soon as they can get to it.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

•••
I agree. It is not reasonable to ask a buyer to respond to every domain they are not interested in. When I created threads I got hundreds of DMs.

What value does it really add for me to go - "No Thanks. Not Interested." hundreds of times?

Also, last time I checked there was a wait time between DMs. So not only are you responding to hundreds, you have to wait for the time between each one. There is no fast way to do it.

When a seller sends a message it is one message. A buyer has to respond to potentially hundreds. That is not an equal time drain. No thanks.

Maybe "wholesale" would be more appropriate. That is a tense a lot of businesses use until the product finds an end user.

Brad

I agree Brad, and while I respect people who want a reply, you know this Brad because I have replied to one your posts a couple years ago, if not interested no need for a reply.

Why do I want someone to get back just to say no? It's a waste of my time. Then sometimes someone might be condescending in their reply back and then it's on. Plus some want a reply to continue the conversation, well you said no thanks how about this? Oh do you like .nets? It becomes a long conversation in private message.

I modded this section for years, where people wanted to hurt someone because of their reply to a domains wanted thread.

Plus Namepros is never going to enforce that, I mean this thread do what you like, it's a repeat of several threads that have already happened.

Here is what is not happening:

Namepros management/mods are not vetting buyers getting true insight into their bankroll.

Buyers are not going to be forced to reply, reply or what? You certainly are not banning someone, especially losing Namepros revenue if they are a blue or gold member.

I know some don't like to hear this, but this is not @RJ 's Namepros. This is a business as well as a community. It makes money through advertising and selling memberships. More page views better advertising rates.

The section generates a lot of views.

Now I think it has to be overhauled, years ago I thought this and that's why we got rid of XXX, I felt people using X was stupid, my budget is xxx to x,xxx so is that 100 to $9,999 or $1,000?

The thing that now has to be overhauled is tighter budgets, some realize I don't want to be considered a joke, so let me say my budget is $1 to $10,000 per name, (SEE I'M A PLAYER I GOT A $10,000 Budget for the right name) Yeah, you don't. Most don't have that budget, why are you here? There is plenty of quality trading in the $3,000 to $2,000 range on GoDaddy auctions get busy.

I want to buy a domain name for either $1 or $10,000 is like saying yeah , should my next car be a Hyundai or a Bentley? I can go either way. People who can afford the Bentley are never considering the Hyundai no matter how good the deal.

Last edited:
•••
That is very encouraging news indeed. Thank you very much for listening to us @Mod Team Bravo

•••
The Four Different Types of Business Markets
Meet Carlton the Courier. His job is to deliver whatever his customers need as fast as he can. Carlton has never lost a package or been late for a delivery. Many of Carlton's customers think he is the best courier in the world. One time, Carlton was delivering an enormous wedding cake, and his truck got a flat tire. Carlton hailed a taxi, strapped the cake to the roof of the cab, and made his delivery just in time to hear the bride say, 'I do.' There are four different types of business markets, and Carlton delivers different goods to all four types.

Business Markets Defined
A business market is made up of groups of people who buy goods and services to use in producing other products, to resell, or for their own use in their day-to-day operations. The four different types of business markets are:

• Producer markets: Producers buy goods and services and transform them into a sellable product, which they sell to their customers for the purpose of making a profit. Examples of producers are farmers, manufacturers and construction companies.
  • Reseller markets: Resellers buy finished products and resell them to their customers for the purpose of making a profit. Resellers do not modify the products they buy. Resellers can be wholesalers who sell their products to other resellers or retailers who sell their products to end users.
  • Government markets: Governments buy goods and services to support their internal operations; they do not transform the goods and services or resell them to make a profit. Government markets usually buy their goods through a bidding process and include federal, state, county, and local governments.
  • Institutional markets: Institutions are non-government organizations that buy goods and services to support their internal operations. The function of institutions is to better their communities, not to make a profit. Examples of institutional markets are churches, hospitals, and colleges.
https://study.com/academy/lesson/bu...ucers-resellers-governments-institutions.html

What is a reseller? | BigCommerce
www.bigcommerce.com › Ecommerce Answers

What is a reseller? Many owners of online storefronts are resellers. Instead of producing their own merchandise, they instead find and source products from ...

https://startupbros.com/glossary/reseller/

Last edited:
•••
Buyers receive a lot of DMs, I don't blame them for not responding to them all - particularly the ones with the lousy names which is the majority (and may include me at times).

And I don't mind the criteria they set, there's nothing wrong with spelling out what you're looking for.

The thing that bothers me the most is when they disappear after making their request. I've sent DMs that were never read and I've sent DMs that were read and then poof the buyer is gone.

It'd also be nice to know if the buyer bought anything. I wish buyers had to report a sale to NP, not the name just whether a sale took place.

•••
I am one of those where I will not respond unless interested. It has nothing to do with bring arrogant, but quite simply there are just too many offers to reply to each one.

My biggest frustration with that section is that the names that are submitted in response to a buy request often times are either names that ignore requirements, such as when I ask for a name in once niche and get names submitted that have nothing to do with it. Or else they just simply IMO aren't worth the sellers asking price or the seller is asking too close to retail.

Case and point I recently put up a buy request offering $1,000 for the best name submitted in 72hrs, you would not believe the number of names submitted than IMO weren't even worth reg fee.

I've honestly had more luck looking at the domains for sale section, but its also a bit of work to search though those because being a forum there are no filtering options, no csv export.

Really what NP needs is a proper buy/sell section that's not just part of the forum, but is actually designed to support those requests with filtering, ect.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back