IT.COM

Legacy Google Keyword Tool is no more

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Google removed their legacy keyword tool:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal?forceLegacy=true

And you can read more here:
Updated Keyword Tool: Out of Beta - Inside AdWords

If they want to provide the new one, fine, but give us access to the old one. Only who really wants it and understand it's limitations go to that url!

I don't care if numbers were overestimated, it gave many more related phrases than this new one, and I know that some are really searched, it's not taken from anywhere else. I know this from my own experience, I know that particular market very well.

And note, I don't want to get all those suggestions. I just want to enter MY list of keywords and see the search number for those. If I select that option on the current interface I get 0 results!

If you want the other interface and results back, send that feedback to Google.

Fellow members, complain >:(

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeah, the new tool is much worse. I would prefer to just get the search volume for the keywords I choose. As far as I know there is no way to remove suggestions like with the old tool.

Brad

•••
And they say this data is more accurate? Try broad search for macbook , country: germany, language: german. No results????

How is that right?

P.S. Brad, almost 5000 posts? Congrats!

•••
Terrible. The new one sucks.

•••
Yeah this is really bad. The new interface is just bad..

And the numbers are far far away from the ones before.. I just checked the exact searches of a few of my top domains, for keywords that i know the numbers in the previous interface, and they are off ever for 100k.. How is that possible?

The phrase search numbers are looking much more similar to the previous exact numbers..

I must say that this is just oonfusing..

•••
•••
2 thumbs down...the new tool is terrible.

•••
I'm really missing most things about the previous interface; but when it all boils down, I only have one important question:
WHICH EXACT SEARCH AMOUNTS ARE/WERE ACCURATE?
In the old interface, the exact search amounts on almost all my names varied wildly with what the new interface says are exact searches. In a few names the number is in the same ball park, but in many other names the two figures are so far apart it begs the question, which is accurate?
If I had a name that the old 'exact' searches said 10,000, and the new interface says 'exact' 390, which is correct? That's a pretty darn wide gap there... a gap I'm seeing all too often with the new setup.

Which is the accurate figure?

•••
That's some sad news! I loved the previous version, the current is sh**ty!

•••
I better make my 5000th post worthwhile. Oops :)

Brad

You FOOL! You blew it. Only one chance to create a life-altering, world-helping 5000th post, certainly as important a decision as whether or not to have a child, or to travel to third world countries to try help those less fortunate, and you totally louse it up. I was going to give you $5K on your 5000th, but this proves you would be completely irresponsible and squander it on hookers, cigs and beer like you usually do. Sigh.
I will expect more from you on your 6000th.

•••
This is exactly what i was talking about.. I dont really care about the new interface, i will get used to it, but all i want to know is which info i should use when deciding on registering a new name..

I'm really missing most things about the previous interface; but when it all boils down, I only have one important question:
In the old interface, the exact search amounts on almost all my names varied wildly with what the new interface says are exact searches. In a few names the number is in the same ball park, but in many other names the two figures are so far apart it begs the question, which is accurate?
If I had a name that the old 'exact' searches said 10,000, and the new interface says 'exact' 390, which is correct? That's a pretty darn wide gap there... a gap I'm seeing all too often with the new setup.

Which is the accurate figure?

•••
I hate the new one, it does not work half as well for what I want as the old version and doesn't even load in Opera.

It is useless.

You know when a beta version is being tested?
Does that mean that bugs are tested, feedback is collected and the kinks are worked out or does it mean that something that doesn't work is simply forced upon everyone?

What pisses me off more than anything is that they didn't even bother to check that it works in a major browser, and though Opera does not have anywhere near the usage of Firefox or IE it is still a major player...just completely ignored.

To quote Gordon Ramsay: "Bunch of ****ing muppets."

Last edited:
•••
the new version is still very slow...tick, tock, tick, tock...

•••
I did all of my research using the old system - I don't understand the new one.

If anyone figures out a good alternative - please feel free to post it.

Thanks

•••
We may never know the answer but no big deal. The tool isn't designed for domainers but it's direct from the source and the price is right. It remains valuable despite the absolute volume uncertainty if the volume ratios are true. I'm seeing a narrow band (60-75%) drop across the board, new tool vs old, which gives me early confidence in the new tool. That magnitude reduction makes no sense since Google owns 85% of the market and they simply tossed out their partner's meager share, but again, domainers can use the imperfect data if it reliably compares keyword A to keyword B. My advice is to recalibrate based on the names in your portfolio. If 15,000 was the old green light, 6,000 may now signal go. Also sanity check other free keyword tools such as Keyword Discovery and SEObook.

•••
I hate the new one, it does not work half as well for what I want as the old version and doesn't even load in Opera.

It is useless.

You know when a beta version is being tested?
Does that mean that bugs are tested, feedback is collected and the kinks are worked out or does it mean that something that doesn't work is simply forced upon everyone?

What pisses me off more than anything is that they didn't even bother to check that it works in a major browser, and though Opera does not have anywhere near the usage of Firefox or IE it is still a major player...just completely ignored.

To quote Gordon Ramsay: "Bunch of ****ing muppets."

All they care is chrome :)

Cheers

Liquid

•••
Does anyone know how accurate Wordtracker is? And the price?

Is Wordtracker fairly easy to understand?

I am a newbie and totally lost without the old version :(

•••
A few of my minisite names (all dot.com), the old 'exact searches' compared to the new keyword tool:
Chlamydia in men - old about 13,000 new 2900
5th wheel rv - old about 13,000 new 720
smiley piercing - old about 33,000 new 5400
neon sunglasses - old about 7,000 new 1000
fake tattoo sleeves - old about 7,000 new 1600
pink digital camera - old about 74,000 new 4400 This is a HUGE difference :)
i Love You Pictures - old about 34,000 new 8100
slip on exhaust - old about 6000 new 720

The exact searches aren't important to a lot of domainers, but to those of use who buy or reg names for minisites, having accurate exact monthly searches is possibly the primary factor in most of our decisions to get a name. Appreciate if anyone knows of a tool we can use that has accurate numbers. And would sure be nice to know whether it's the old or the new google numbers that are accurate, as you can see by my above examples there are some huge differences, differences that are definitely large enough to have affected my buying or regging certain names if I had known the search numbers were inaccurate or overblown.

•••
ah, so google have changed their algorithm big style - i thought i was going mad the first time i used their new dynamic search.
I think liquidcherry is correct - google want users to migrate to Chrome.

•••
No keyword tool is bulletproof. Reduce risk by using multiple tools to find strong numbers across the board. Raise the bar (higher search, fewer words) if regs underperform. The registries are littered with available 3-word names that have direct and search traffic potential.

[rar file opener]
adwords old 18,100
adwords new 8,100
keyword discovery 64
seobook 34
wordtracker 20

•••
ah, so google have changed their algorithm big style - i thought i was going mad the first time i used their new dynamic search.
I think liquidcherry is correct - google want users to migrate to Chrome.

THX eco, now it is time to rep me!!!:bingo::sold::snaphappy::o:imho::cy:

Cheers

Liquid :)

•••
This affects everyone. Practically all domainers & website owners have relied on google's keyword tool for exact search data when thinking about buying a certain domain, getting into a certain niche, and writing an article. Many buyers will only buy domains that have 1,000+ exact searches and those will be extra hard to come by. I guess you'll just have to base registering domains now on past sales data and current trends.

Estibot.com seems to still be using data from google's old search tool. So you can check there to see how it values a domain.

•••
So all this time everyone has been basing their whole strategy on Googles so called "infallible" technology and it has been a fraud?

Isn't that nice and peachy?

•••
I sent an email to the Adwords team, complaining. If you feel the same, complain as well.

I want the data from your search partners, not just from Google.com
Google may have a big quota on the search market but it's a mistake to think it's all from people going directly to Google.com

There are portals with millions and millions of visitors that use their search, and now the new tool doesn't include that data.

Aren't those visitors as valuable as the others?

That is a BIG MISTAKE!

Now advertisers think that there is almost no market for some keywords, mistakingly!

The "advertisers" that asked for this change don't understand much about the internet world, sorry to say.

•••
how can we compress the results i wonder , takes forever to scroll down while only seeing a few results at a time

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back