Dynadot

discuss Just laid off - Thinking about selling names for a living

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
3rd layoff in 7 years - sick of working for other people. I have had some success doing this - contemplating doing this for a living. May just start and see how I do for a while job hunting. Ugh

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great sale to a fellow upstate New Yorker!

•••
Yes, true. Build out a few domains.

With industry turnover in the 1% range and most end users viewing domains as a $XX expenditure, I believe one could say that website development and online marketing skills are probably better compensated than the typical domain portfolio.

•••
I definitely empathize. Had Canada legalized marijuana this year, I have no doubt my portfolio would have carried me domaining full-time; however, that is a year away. Following job loss and divorce myself, and with multiple renewals pending makes life difficult, that we can never truly predict.

•••
Yes, it is true there is a lot of money in domaining, "Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man”

•••
Very interesting Richard!

•••
Very smart @uglydork you sound like my kind of person and the smartest part is creating your new endeavor on your website/page.I like bluntness. I hope to be able to sign up for the tips soon

•••
•••
Self Employment is the best investment you can make. Period. You control your time, your destiny and call all the shots. Sure its stressful and cyclical, but well worth the price imho.

I was forced to go out on my own to avoid relocating for a industry downsizing and similar situation and looking back with absolutely no regrets and retired very early. I did a variety of things consulting, training, trading, mfg rep, brokering, buying/selling, never borrowed a dime and no financial help other than advice mentors.

In fact it's way better investing your time on specific skills than than an Ivy League diploma. Go for it!

One additional thing, if you don't attempt it NOW, you may regret it in the future now you have the opportunity to start your own business.

Very inspirational. I just graduated college last month and now I am unemployed too but always wanted to seek additional sources of income and maybe start my own brand. With only a $X,XXX dollars to my name, any suggestions of what I can invest in?

•••
Very inspirational. I just graduated college last month and now I am unemployed too but always wanted to seek additional sources of income and maybe start my own brand. With only a $X,XXX dollars to my name, any suggestions of what I can invest in?
I wouldn't invest anything with scared money but that's just me. Since I was laid off last week I have not spent a penny on a domain name. Myself and my family come first. When I start a new job or start selling more names I will spend.
I have put off marketing anything since my big sale, I need to get back on that

•••
domaining is a very good business but be carefull

•••
Last edited:
•••
I just read your site - http://uglydork.com/about/my-life-has-been-crazy-my-story-blog/

Bartending, strip clubs, stand up comic, selling life insurance.

Is that all made up? Your LinkedIn doesn't seem like you were bartending until you're 34?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-dynas-35872b7/
It sure does! I am 52 years old and I did all of those things :)
I have had an amazing life and it continues
I didn't finish college until I was in my 40's - 2009 ! I had a child - went while I was working full time and she was pregnant with our second

Last edited:
•••
I just read your site - http://uglydork.com/about/my-life-has-been-crazy-my-story-blog/

Bartending, strip clubs, stand up comic, selling life insurance.

Is that all made up? Your LinkedIn doesn't seem like you were bartending until you're 34?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-dynas-35872b7/

Just so we don't start another set of me being called a lair

Bartended at Thee Doll House in fayetville NC - Hilton Head SC and in NY
Did Stand up at Charlie Goodnights in Raleigh NC - I gave up because the owner didn't like my Dick Jokes - worked blue
Sold Life Insurance for Combined Life Insurance in NY

•••
Your book is only 14 pages?

How much can you teach in 14 pages?

Has anyone bought a copy?

•••
•••
•••
•••
What?????? 14 pages for $19.99! Holy Shit Batman! :)

•••
If you went to thee dollhouse that used to be Cadillac s!

I think it just changed to TDH when my brother (rip) and I went the first time...they just started serving/offering breakfast and sat us right up front...we were the first. I was way skeptical about the quality but it was very good...trying to remember the year...

•••
Charlie Goodnights in Raleigh

Was that a J Walters club? I ran marketing/floor manager for his club in Charlotte (plum crazy) when it opened...seems he had something to do with charlies.

I apologize for changing the direction of the thread....it was a nice trip down memory lane...thanks.

BTW all...ten years ago this day I was given 3 months to live with stage 4 cancer...still proving them wrong...never give up whether it is on living or domaining!!!

•••
You wrote a captivating crazy life story there to hook the reader....well done.

•••
I think it just changed to TDH when my brother (rip) and I went the first time...they just started serving/offering breakfast and sat us right up front...we were the first. I was way skeptical about the quality but it was very good...trying to remember the year...
1993ish?

•••
•••
Was that a J Walters club? I ran marketing/floor manager for his club in Charlotte (plum crazy) when it opened...seems he had something to do with charlies.

I apologize for changing the direction of the thread....it was a nice trip down memory lane...thanks.

BTW all...ten years ago this day I was given 3 months to live with stage 4 cancer...still proving them wrong...never give up whether it is on living or domaining!!!
Screw the comedy club - way to kick cancers ass! That is the most amazing beautiful news I have heard all day. Puts this petty discussion into perspective

•••

Screw the comedy club - way to kick cancers ass! That is the most amazing beautiful news I have heard all day. Puts this petty discussion into perspective

YES...about 1993...spring or summer of that year! I had been working on a marketing campaign for a new hotel owner in Beaufort with my brothers help. It was a great time...he was about 15 years older than I and had much more experience in the 'club' atmosphere...although we were dressed well and sporting expensive watches, we were both taken off guard at how well we were treated when we walked in TDH...I just figured he had an over due hit coming his way and this was their classy way of 'showing us the door'. LOL

Thank you regarding your comment re: cancer...but this (and the other thread) have kept my interest more than anything has in the recent past...didn't even check the drop as usual so I could keep up...such conviction on both/all sides!

BTW, let us know if/when you start another job or just stick with the domain thing. :xf.smile:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back