Dynadot

information Just changed NetworkSolutions Whois info. Did I mess up?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

greggb

Established Member
Impact
I've had a domain name registered with Network Solutions for a long time. I'll just go ahead and tell you that it's ebang.com. It used to be a site that I ran and made money on. Now I'd like to sell it. So a little while ago I logged into Network Solutions and made some minor changes to the whois info. I didn't change email address or phone number of anything like that. I removed the "Company" field, because Ebang is no longer part of a company.

I listed it at sedo.com without any difficulty. Then I noticed the email address flippa was going to send confirmation to wasn't my own. It was: [email protected]. Then there was this in the whois:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited

I've been reading that making changes to whoisdata can cause this.

So I'm assuming that means I can't transfer to another registrar for 60 days. Is that correct. Does that mean I also can't transfer to another Network Solutions account?

Thanks,
Gregg

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
can you change the email?

an invalid email might be the reason for the transfer block

•••
I forget NetSol's policy exactly, but yes, I think they do lock a domain for 60 days if you change anything in the whois info. Your best bet would be to ask their support. They usually take about 3 days to reply and they don't work at weekends. You might also need to clarify their reply. But to do that you need to open another ticket. You can't just reply to their email. It would be better to get a reply from the horses mouth, than from us clowns :)

Their system is so awful, that I calculated between support tickets, and extrapolated for 1 day, and it seems that they get about 400k support requests a day. Be warned, you are heading into a quagmire.

•••
Thanks for both replies. My email address is valid. What's weird is that I finally managed to request an authorization code without being told that the change in DNS was still in progress.

It was really stupid of me to stick with them all this time. They were recommended to me when I got started in the world of internet about 12 years ago. I definitely wouldn't recommend them now, with an annual registration fee 3x higher than that of Godaddy's. I don't like the feeling that they have such so much control over the fate of my domain.

Then there's Flippa... because I can't receive an email from Flippa I created a text DNS record with the code they gave me, but there's not even a place to request that they check the text record.

Anyway, thanks again. Big time lesson learned.
Gregg

•••
Thanks for both replies. My email address is valid. What's weird is that I finally managed to request an authorization code without being told that the change in DNS was still in progress.

It was really stupid of me to stick with them all this time. They were recommended to me when I got started in the world of internet about 12 years ago. I definitely wouldn't recommend them now, with an annual registration fee 3x higher than that of Godaddy's. I don't like the feeling that they have such so much control over the fate of my domain.

Then there's Flippa... because I can't receive an email from Flippa I created a text DNS record with the code they gave me, but there's not even a place to request that they check the text record.

Anyway, thanks again. Big time lesson learned.
Gregg

clientTransferProhibited just means you have it locked. When you unlock it, that will go away.

•••
If you've been with them for 12 years, then you know what their support is like :) You are a much more patient man than me, maybe richer too :)

•••
you need to fix that "no valid email" thing. ASAP.

it shows in the domain whois

have you verified that email acct with NetSol since that became a requirement?

•••
That occurred to me, also.

•••
Sorry to bump this old topic. But...I wound up getting a transfer code from Network Solutions even though according to the message that was showing up I wasn't supposed to be able to, since I'd made changes. Now I think I'm all set to transfer to GoDaddy. Except that someone made an offer on the site at Sedo and I've been going through the offer process with them.

I'd feel much better about selling the name if it were at GoDaddy, not being sure what Network Solutions may try to pull when it comes time to make the transfer. I'd really like to transfer the name to my GD account, but my concern is that in the process of doing that I may mess something up at Sedo, since my ownership is already verified through Network Solutions.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Gregg

•••
Sorry to bump this old topic. But...I wound up getting a transfer code from Network Solutions even though according to the message that was showing up I wasn't supposed to be able to, since I'd made changes. Now I think I'm all set to transfer to GoDaddy. Except that someone made an offer on the site at Sedo and I've been going through the offer process with them.

I'd feel much better about selling the name if it were at GoDaddy, not being sure what Network Solutions may try to pull when it comes time to make the transfer. I'd really like to transfer the name to my GD account, but my concern is that in the process of doing that I may mess something up at Sedo, since my ownership is already verified through Network Solutions.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Gregg

I wouldn't bother with the transfer if you're about to sell the domain. Just give your buyer the transfer code and save yourself the transfer fee. Netsol is annoying about how they handle transfers but they're not going to prevent it and since you already have the code you don't need to interact with their customer service team any further. Additionally, any problems you might experience getting the domain to the buyer would be experienced anyway in the course of transferring the domain to your own GD account so I'm not sure what you'd be accomplishing by going that route. I'd wait to see if the deal goes through before moving it to GD.

•••
Thanks for the advice, though I made a command decision right before reading it and started the transfer. I just didn't want to risk having anything get messed up, or get a bad rating at Sedo.

Then I got a private message from someone who explained to me that I'd actually be transferring the domain name to Sedo, which really makes me wish I hadn't done that.

Lesson learned. Thanks again for the advice.

•••
It's not too late to abort. Netsol will send you an email that will give you the option to cancel the transfer if you like, but I don't think it's a big deal either way go. If you proceed with the transfer, the biggest issue will be for the buyer since he won't have a choice but to use GoDaddy for the next 60 days. Beyond that it's not going to matter that much. Anyhow, good luck with the sale.

•••
Thanks. Though I'm curious, with domain flipping isn't pretty common for buyers to be stuck with one registrar for 60 days? I'd think as the result of a hand-reg and a quick flip?

•••
Thanks. Though I'm curious, with domain flipping isn't pretty common for buyers to be stuck with one registrar for 60 days? I'd think as the result of a hand-reg and a quick flip?

Yes, you are correct. In that scenario the buyer would get stuck with the existing registrar.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back