NameSilo

Just bought some .ist domains

Spaceship
Watch

oozn

Established Member
Impact
Hey all,

Not sure if you know but .ist domains are now available to public registrations.

So I just went ahead and go to SimilarWeb and Alexa's top 200 websites in China and fetched all domains with numbers to Excel.

Then I logged in at Godaddy and used their bulk search and registered the following domains with .ist extensions.

Not sure if it worths the money I spent but just wanted to give it a try :)

panda.ist
888888.ist
1688.ist
4399.ist

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Because they are not good domains!

OK, I was trying to inform you about the "truth" but guess you have some kind of inferiority complex, I can not get mature, reasonable answers. So I will not continue with this discussion. You're right, the registry is holding all the good domains and that's why you could not find one. Cheers...

•••
OK, I was trying to inform you about the "truth" but guess you have some kind of inferiority complex, I can not get mature, reasonable answers. So I will not continue with this discussion. You're right, the registry is holding all the good domains and that's why you could not find one. Cheers...

I am not talking about the registry, but the extension in general.

It is not a good investment at this time IMHO.

Just trying to help you out.

I see you are a new member.

We try to help each other here.

If you are a newbie you should know this is not a good use of your $ at this time.

•••
the registry is holding almost every good hack there is, and some like the ones above - orthopaed.ist, chr.ist, jesuschr.ist - all already assigned, who knows how they were delegated
But orthopaedi.st is available (Sao Tome TLD, sometimes used for hacks).

orthopaed.ist is mine, I have many other domains like this one.
Not too many I hope...
We're talking about their potential as an investment. We'll of course have to wait for some time but I'm sure we'll be able to find good paying customers for these domains. That's what "investment" means.
This is gambling actually.

•••
I like Panda.IST...Panda is universal so will work with any TLD.

•••
The will always be a market for good domain hacks.

Namebio sales confirm this... for example check out .in and .ly sales on Namebio...plenty of good priced sales for domain hacks.

That's just two examples of TLD'S that have good hack potential, there are many more ...including .ist

•••
This is gambling actually.

Every investment has it's risks. My domains are either single/double high search volume keyword domains, LLL short-for-something domains or domain hacks. Of course I may not be able to sell them all (who does?) but in time some of them will find their customers at reasonable prices.

I truly believe that there's a problem with the "stick with dot coms" idea. Most dot coms on auctions are domains with randomly matched keywords. Even the keywords don't fit each other. People register these domains because they have two english keywords and then try to sell them. For me they are just meaningless domains I wouldn't dare to take if given for free.

On the other hand when a new tld is released, for a very limited time, you have the opportunity to find and register some of the best domains for that new tld. You either do it, or you don't and someone else does. That's the risk you take. .io became popular among software/high tech companies and those taking the risk are now happy.

Same applies for me. AsSeenOnTv.com was sold for $5.1 million and hey, I got AsSeenOnTv.ist for $15. Why not?

slots.com 5,500,000 USD
slots.ca 206,906 USD
slots.eu 31,200 USD
slots.info 30,000 USD
slots.gr 11,374 USD
slots.co.za 10,000 USD
slots.me 9,135 USD
slots.nu 9,070 USD
slots.it 8,888 USD
slots.sg 7,500 USD
slots.cc 2,600 USD
slots.hk 7,500 USD
slots.at 2,860 USD

And I got slots.ist for 15 USD. If this is not investment but gambling, so be it... :)

•••
Another tld that will be used for "creative" hacks.....

You need to think like a buyer...who will actually buy these for business?

•••
No matter what the tld is, if it's a good keyword domain, it can and it will find a buyer.

horoscope.ca 7,000 USD
horoscope.tv 8,000 USD
horoscope.mobi 30,000 USD
horoscope.biz 2,886 USD

Yeah, I got horoscope.ist, don't be a .com freak and go seek out. I hope those against .ist got my point.

•••
Every investment has it's risks.
I make a distinction between investment and gambling.
Investment = calculated, educated risk
Gambling = throwing the dice at random and buying for no particular reason or fundamentals

I truly believe that there's a problem with the "stick with dot coms" idea. Most dot coms on auctions are domains with randomly matched keywords. Even the keywords don't fit each other. People register these domains because they have two english keywords and then try to sell them. For me they are just meaningless domains I wouldn't dare to take if given for free.
There is nothing wrong with "stick with dot coms, because that's what sells the most. Still it's already hard enough to sell .com.
What people register is one thing. Indeed, lots of crap. 99% of registered domains are not valuable.
What actually sells is a different story.

If you want to make sales, you must analyze the market and look at reported sales. Wishful thinking does not produce results.

On the other hand when a new tld is released, for a very limited time, you have the opportunity to find and register some of the best domains for that new tld.
But who is making sales in new extensions, other than the registries ?

There are hundreds of extensions to choose from, end users have plenty of options to bypass the domainers if they are willing to try a new extension. The supply is infinite while there are buyers of aftermarket domains.
I don't see a future in .ist. Just another extension among too many.

•••
I don't see a future in .ist. Just another extension among too many.

It's not about "seeing a future" in something, none of us are psychics. For the last two posts, I've shown you what tlds other than .com are capable of with direct, plain examples. And those examples were selected exclusively from domains in my portfolio.

For you, .mobi is also "just another extension among too many" but horoscope.mobi sells for 30,000 USD right? What if horoscope.ist sells for 3,000 USD in 6 months? What if it sells for more? I'm having a really hard time understanding your logic. The risk you're taking by adding a niche keyword .ist domain to your portfolio is only 15 USD.

This is fanaticism, nothing else. Some of you people start holding on to your idea even though clear evidence is provided against it. This is pure bigotry.

•••
A name is about creating a perception of being something great, being something that is going to attract attention and deliver on it's promise.

What people seem to miss is that just like great brand names have a higher success rate, the same is true for the domain name. Putting a dot whatever on the end of a name kills the value instantly, not just for the domain name, but for that company, so in effect, it's future is doomed from day one.

Now if they have a good dot com and use other domain names as service funnels then that is always a good thing, but you can bet your bottom dollar, the smart ones wouldn't touch a .ist.

•••
For you, .mobi is also "just another extension among too many" but horoscope.mobi sells for 30,000 USD right?
Great example. .mobi is dead. Have you done any research ? Would you buy a .mobi today ?

What if horoscope.ist sells for 3,000 USD in 6 months? What if it sells for more? I'm having a really hard time understanding your logic. The risk you're taking by adding a niche keyword .ist domain to your portfolio is only 15 USD.
But you said: "orthopaed.ist is mine, I have many other domains like this one.". So your outlay is not $15, but much more. In one year, you will have to decide whether to drop or renew your names (spend more money).
I know what you're thinking: I just need to make one big sale to break even and pay for the other domains, and hopefully make a profit. But most domainers are losing money because it doesn't pan out as expected.

This is fanaticism, nothing else. Some of you people start holding on to your idea even though clear evidence is provided against it. This is pure bigotry.
Yes, there is evidence. Reported domain sales. New extensions do sell at the very beginning, when they are new and novelty. The registry makes the sales. Then everyone quickly forgets about it, another extension comes around etc. History repeats itself.
Buying a domain to develop it is one thing.
Buying a domain to resell it is another thing. And it's awfully difficult. Don't listen to me, do your own research. You'll see.

•••
newbies look at past sales on namebio and comeback to post them here as justification for their registrations

but do they "look" at the dates when those sales were made?

do they know about the "trends" of that time in domaining?

do they know what the .mobi extension was "predicted" to be used for....but never materialized, and can they see it in retrospect from today?

do they research to find "who owned" that name and how long it was held before selling?

you have to learn about the past, to succeed in the future.

imo....

•••
The registry did not hold the good domains, they only held some of the well known brand names like microsoft, apple etc., others were simply registered by people like me at the regular price (14.9 USD). You can't find a good one? That's because you're simply too late.

If you go right to the source, the .ist registry, and run a whois search on say, hmm, just about any "ist" ending word that comes to your mind, the result given is: Reserved by registry.

It's so hopeless I ended up registering ventur/ist, which isn't even a damn real word. But should be. And we all should continue to be venturists.

•••
I like dent.ist but when you check many good once were reserved by registry.
for example femin.ist , sex.ist are good one which wouldn't be available to public to register because registry take them all. so, only non good domains are left to us, you can still think there could be good one.. but those are not really worth to risk.. because there are plenty of gtlds in the market.. you can register top words in 1000 gtld strings if you think any top word in any extension sells so they seem like money trap nothing else.

•••
@Mustafa Odabasi is obviously a newbie who refuses to listen to more experienced members.

Leave him alone and he will learn the hard way.

•••
I am also surprised by the Registry blocking EVERY English domain hack (= every dictionary word ending with .IST). They may also have blocked every .ST Domain ending with "I"... I have never encoutered such an extensive domain hack blocking by *any* TLD before.

•••
I am also surprised by the Registry blocking EVERY English domain hack (= every dictionary word ending with .IST). They may also have blocked every .ST Domain ending with "I"... I have never encoutered such an extensive domain hack blocking by *any* TLD before.
Only way they can make money :xf.wink:

•••
If you go right to the source, the .ist registry, and run a whois search on say, hmm, just about any "ist" ending word that comes to your mind, the result given is: Reserved by registry.

It's so hopeless I ended up registering ventur/ist, which isn't even a damn real word. But should be. And we all should continue to be venturists.
I registered Buddh.ist with no problem

•••
Wow, so many people with so many "experiences", calling me a "newbie"! So funny and pathetic guys, sorry... Don't do this...

The domains you see as "reserved by registry" were registered between April 5th - May 5th, when multiple registrations per domain was excepted. The registrants will bid for those domains and their owner will be determined accordingly. These domains ARE NOT being held by the registry.

Oh and mr. inferiority complex! Do not make comments about people you don't know ANYTHING about. Believe me, I have nothing to learn from you.

Last edited:
•••

The .st ccTLD doesn't seem to have the same blocking. There are many available. But, the registration/renewal rates are way too expensive, IMO.

•••
I was gonna buy some but figured 'meh'

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back