Dynadot

.mobi June T.R.A.F.F.I.C. Domain Auction in New York

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Conference

The upcoming T.R.A.F.F.I.C. event in New York should be an interesting venue for introducing the domain industry to the financial and business world. It will also include a continuation of the dialogue with Madison Avenue about using domain names. "Wall Street here we are and we are here to tell you why you should care. Our top tier, all-star analysts will address Wall Street and expose them to the profitable world of domain names."

The T.R.A.F.F.I.C. conference will be June 19 - 22, 2007 at the Grand Central Hyatt in New York City, NY. Conference attendence is by invitation and the cost is $1,795. You can get information at the T.R.A.F.F.I.C. website .

Domain Auction

The live and silent auctions will again be run by MONIKER, and I believe that this time with a focus on financial industry domain names. Over 60,000 names were submitted for consideration for the last auction in March. Time to get them in now before the last minute rush.

Names for must be submitted to Moniker by Thursday, April 26, 2007. Right now you can email Moniker with your list of names and then they will ask for the name, registrar, minimum "take home price" (take home + 15% = reserve price) you will accept, a preferred category and keywords for each name. Moniker will email you a contract ("Exclusive Right to Sell Agreement") to sign and fax in. You can find information about the auction at the Moniker Marketplace

Post Your Submitted Auction Names Below

If you would like to list your names that you have submitted for consideration go ahead and add them in this thread. It will be a while before we find out which ones get selected for the auctions.

Get your MOBIs in there. Good luck to all.

-acc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
scandiman said:
Don't they always say that?

No idea .. this is the first time I have submitted anything to them? :)

•••
Last week I received an email from my Moniker sales guy saying the selection team was still working to whittle their selection list down to a managable 2,000 (I'm not sure if that means that is how many they are going to try to auction, or if that is their first cut of the list to be gone over again).

They suggested that I lower my reserve on 3 of my names. I originally had them all set at $9,999., and the suggestion was to lower them to 2,500, 1,000, and 1,000. So, one I dropped to 2,500, 3,500, and 1,000. "Two out of three ain't bad", as they say. He said that dropping, or not dropping, the reserve is no guarantee that my names will or will not be selected; but it gives them a better chance.

•••
panterrasbox said:
Last week I received an email from my Moniker sales guy saying the selection team was still working to whittle their selection list down to a managable 2,000 (I'm not sure if that means that is how many they are going to try to auction, or if that is their first cut of the list to be gone over again).

They suggested that I lower my reserve on 3 of my names. I originally had them all set at $9,999., and the suggestion was to lower them to 2,500, 1,000, and 1,000. So, one I dropped to 2,500, 3,500, and 1,000. "Two out of three ain't bad", as they say. He said that dropping, or not dropping, the reserve is no guarantee that my names will or will not be selected; but it gives them a better chance.
They tell that to everybody.

•••
is it too late to send in names?

•••
seanboy said:
is it too late to send in names?

I think so. Time to focus on the Affiliate Summit auction in Miami in July (list due in June 2007)

Good luck!

•••
•••
any news from them so far?

•••
Got 21 domains accepted for auction. Some good, and some bad.

•••
i got just 1 domain accepted for the auction-NYC. And that too .us extension and not .mobi.

•••
I got one selected of my two dozen or so submitted. It was a low-dollar dot-com. Not very exciting for me.

•••
I just received an email from Moniker"

Dear Domain Owner:

Moniker is pleased to announce the master domain inventory list for the upcoming Live and Silent Domain Auctions at T.R.A.F.F.I.C. New York City, June 19-22, 2007. This list is subject to changes.

At this time, you may review the complete list of domains to see if your domain(s) were selected. From this master list, Moniker will select the top names to be included in the exciting Live Domain Auction on June 21. A preliminary Live Auction list will be posted on or before June 13, 2007.

However, the page (https://marketplacepro.moniker.com/auction/index.html) for viewing the domains list requires a password, though there was no password mentioned in the email. Anyone else experience this?

•••
•••
dagersh said:
You can still use the download link on that page, though...
Ahhh, yesss...

thank you :)

•••
Only one of mine made it in (not a .MOBI), so we'll see how it goes! :talk:

Thanks for the download link, I think considering the specific New York venue that, of the .MOBI's, mortgages.mobi $10,001 - $25,000 ... looks to have good / reasonable potential, IMHO. I just hope the Buyer is an bona-fide End user who will develop and market it in the very near term! :gl:

Good Luck with your domains at Traffic! :talk:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Got 1 out of 5 selected for auction...it is a .info

We'll see how it goes...good luck to everyone...

•••
Just received notification that one of the mobi's got accepted for silent auction.

Good luck to everyone :)

•••
newton said:
Just received notification that one of the mobi's got accepted for silent auction.

Super coolio ... which one of yours got accepted? :gl: :talk:

* Which specific .MOBI's in the June Traffic show do you feel with garner the most interest? IYHO's.

* Do you feel that one or more Developers / End users - due to the venue in New York - may participate in this event? IYHO's.

Thanks for any insight.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Only one of mine made it in (not a .MOBI), so we'll see how it goes! :talk:

Thanks for the download link, I think considering the specific New York venue that, of the .MOBI's, mortgages.mobi $10,001 - $25,000 ... looks to have good / reasonable potential, IMHO. I just hope the Buyer is an bona-fide End user who will develop and market it in the very near term! :gl:

Good Luck with your domains at Traffic! :talk:
-Jeff B-)

Most names sold at Traffic don't go to "end users" in the sense of some large corporation not affiliated with domains buying the names. Cameras.com sold for $1.5 million at a Traffic auction last year and is a parked page. Fact is domains are valuable and not every domain will sell to an "end user". Personally I consider myself an "end user" because I plan to develop many of my domains rather than sell them but I probably am not an end user by your definition.

Microsoft might be considered an end user by your standards yet they have undeveloped properties like DO.com. I don't see anyone too concerned that they have not developed this exceptional property and the same should go for any other TLD. Obviously it is to the advantage of a new TLD to spur on development of it's domains but if one decides a simple site or parked page is their idea of development who is to say whether this is appropriate use of the domain?

My 2 cents........

•••
think said:
Obviously it is to the advantage of a new TLD to spur on development of it's domains but if one decides a simple site or parked page is their idea of development who is to say whether this is appropriate use of the domain?

My 2 cents........

Fair enough, and thanks very kindly for your input Think! :gl: :tu:

Do you feel, at this time, that it is particularly important to the of .MOBI (versus just any other new TLD) ... to spur on unique and compelling content/development of it's domains / adding to the important "ecosystem" IYHO? :gl: :talk:

At this time, IMHO, getting these higher-profile Traffic .MOBI's into those that will be developing them (typically considered an bona-fide End user / Developer) as such is very very important ... for further expansion of that "ecosystem". I don't see a parked page or forwarded domains as "development", in my view. These are my thoughts, and I appreciate all insightful and constructive discussion in this regard ... :tu:

Thanks again.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Fair enough, and thanks very kindly for your input Think! :gl: :tu:

Do you feel, at this time, that it is particularly important to the of .MOBI (versus just any other new TLD) ... to spur on unique and compelling content/development of it's domains / adding to the important "ecosystem" IYHO? :gl: :talk:

At this time, IMHO, getting these higher-profile Traffic .MOBI's into those that will be developing them (typically considered an bona-fide End user / Developer) as such is very very important ... for further expansion of that "ecosystem". I don't see a parked page or forwarded domains as "development", in my view. These are my thoughts, and I appreciate all insightful and constructive discussion in this regard ... :tu:

Thanks again.
-Jeff B-)

What is a bona-fide end user? How do I get bona-fide?

I am in the process of incorporating my domain development company. It will still be a small company but I plan to develop many sites. Will that make me bona fide?

Basically I am getting the feeling you consider large corporate interests "bona-fide" and any other small time developers like myself as "non bona-fide" which means that development of these new generic TLDs will only be accepted if it is done by "the big guys". Basically most of the big guys are branding their existing brands in Mobi with the exception of a few who garnered top generics via the trademark sunrise period like IBM did with Think.mobi.

I'm not sure why you feel Dot Mobi needs to be leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the field when it comes to big sales and development models. I would love it if it were the case and that there "bona-fide" end users ready to develop top generic Dot Mobis but the big companies still aren't even the main ones buying and developing the majority of top generic Dot Coms. Why should MOBI be any different?

Yes, Mobi encourages development and best practices for it's domains. Yes, individuals and companies are working towards this end but it happens gradually in steps not by leaps and bounds. I'm not sure if you have been following all the development of the Mobi TLD but in comparison to any other TLD save Dot Com, MOBI is on the move and in the forefront of development for all non com TLDs. Could it do better? Maybe, but MOBI is actively working to promote development of it's platform and I challenge you to name any other TLD that has invested the time, money, and resources to spur develop like MOBI has.

•••
:hi:

I consider the Bank of America developing stand-alone BOFA.mobi (and I'm hopeful that they begin to advertise and promote it to the mainstream soon) to be that of a bona-fide End user who is developing, IMHO. I also consider those - including domainers like us - that develop their .MOBI's to be bona-fide ... but, going back to the original question, in the context of the New York Traffic Show and to the higher profile status of some of the potential .MOBI Sales at this venue ... do you think it is possible or probable that one or more Developers / End users (such as a larger corporation as Bank of America, for instance) ... may participate and ultimately purchase in this event? IYHO. :talk:

Who stated Leaps and Bounds? My observation is that most would recommend development of .MOBI's and thus adding to the important "ecosystem", IMHO. I never saw as much emphasis on development of this extension's domains into websites with other new/newer extensions! Have you? The term "ecosystem" (and the critical building out of it) I'd never even heard of before the .MOBI, as well. So, I'm not sure about your "leaps and bounds" interpretation of my words, but clearly .MOBI is different in that the expecations for developments is critical for its long-term success, in my view. I've been following the .MOBI TLD, and I look forward to more information regarding this important development / "ecosystem" / promotions aspect from mTLD shorty, as well. :gl:

Thanks again.
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
:hi:

I consider the Bank of America developing stand-alone BOFA.mobi (and I'm hopeful that they begin to advertise and promote it to the mainstream soon) to be that of a bona-fide End user who is developing, IMHO. I also consider those - including domainers like us - that develop their .MOBI's to be bona-fide ... but, going back to the original question, in the context of the New York Traffic Show and to the higher profile status of some of the potential .MOBI Sales at this venue ... do you think it is possible or probable that one or more Developers / End users (such as a larger corporation as Bank of America, for instance) ... may participate and ultimately purchase in this event? IYHO. :talk:

Who stated Leaps and Bounds? My observation is that most would recommend development of .MOBI's and thus adding to the important "ecosystem", IMHO. I never saw as much emphasis on development of this extension's domains into websites with other new/newer extensions! Have you? The term "ecosystem" (and the critical building out of it) I'd never even heard of before the .MOBI, as well. So, I'm not sure about your "leaps and bounds" interpretation of my words, but clearly .MOBI is different in that the expecations for developments is critical for its long-term success, in my view. I've been following the .MOBI TLD, and I look forward to more information regarding this important development / "ecosystem" / promotions aspect from mTLD shorty, as well. :gl:

Thanks again.
-Jeff B-)

Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the discussion. I see plenty going on with Dot Mobi in terms of small end user development, large corporations who are developing Mobi sites, and forums and associations sponsored by Dot Mobi to promote and develop the TLD. Progress is being made so I'm not sure why more and more is being demanded. This is what I mean by expecting too much and expecting Mobi to be leaps and bounds ahead when the guys at MTLD are already busting their tails and development is happening.

Name one name sold at any Traffic auction that went to a "bona-fide" end user. Seriously. I haven't checked but none come to mind. This has been the pressing issue for the Traffic convention. Trying to get big corporate end users to understand the value of buying generic Dot Com traffic names to bring users to their site. It's not easy and members from Madison Avenue have paneled the last two Traffic conventions and they are still not convinced large companies want to be associated with generic domains. The tide is turning thanks to Rick Schwart'z efforts to make this happen but it still is a work in progress.

The simple fact is generic domains are still considered a step back for companies that have spent millions on branding their name. (Yes, there are exceptions) It's matter of perspective and perception. Both sides (corporate America and generic domain owners) make money and when the time comes that large corporations see the value in generic traffic that fits their brand then things will change. Knowing that it is still difficult to sell corporate America on generic Dot Coms with traffic it is not realistic to think there will be a great deal of branded corporations ready to invest in Dot Mobi Generics without any current traffic.

Cheers and best wishes,

C.T. Kirkpatrick

aka: think

•••
think said:
Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the discussion. I see plenty going on with Dot Mobi in terms of small end user development, large corporations who are developing Mobi sites, and forums and associations sponsored by Dot Mobi to promote and develop the TLD. Progress is being made so I'm not sure why more and more is being demanded. This is what I mean by expecting too much and expecting Mobi to be leaps and bounds ahead when the guys at MTLD are already busting their tails and development is happening.

Name one name sold at any Traffic auction that went to a "bona-fide" end user. Seriously. I haven't checked but none come to mind. This has been the pressing issue for the Traffic convention. Trying to get big corporate end users to understand the value of buying generic Dot Com traffic names to bring users to their site. It's not easy and members from Madison Avenue have paneled the last two Traffic conventions and they are still not convinced large companies want to be associated with generic domains. The tide is turning thanks to Rick Schwart'z efforts to make this happen but it still is a work in progress.

The simple fact is generic domains are still considered a step back for companies that have spent millions on branding their name. (Yes, there are exceptions) It's matter of perspective and perception. Both sides (corporate America and generic domain owners) make money and when the time comes that large corporations see the value in generic traffic that fits their brand then things will change. Knowing that it is still difficult to sell corporate America on generic Dot Coms with traffic it is not realistic to think there will be a great deal of branded corporations ready to invest in Dot Mobi Generics without any current traffic.

Cheers and best wishes,

C.T. Kirkpatrick

Great analysis CT. I wonder which bank may one day buy bank.com and bank.mobi. Hard to forget that branding pair but good luck getting Madison Avenue to sell the concept. Kind of like getting an accountant to support a flat tax.

•••
think said:
Hi Jeff,

I appreciate the discussion.

Me too, thanks kindly. :)

Regarding the June Traffic Show and .MOBI ... :talk:
Name one name sold at any Traffic auction that went to a "bona-fide" end user. Seriously. I haven't checked but none come to mind. This has been the pressing issue for the Traffic convention. Trying to get big corporate end users to understand the value of buying generic Dot Com traffic names to bring users to their site. It's not easy and members from Madison Avenue have paneled the last two Traffic conventions and they are still not convinced large companies want to be associated with generic domains.

Most excellent, and no I cannot name one domain name sold at any Traffic Show to a corporate type End user, IMHO. I agree with your assessment ... as it relates to the upcoming Traffic Show ... and I think it's a challenge for them, as well. Hopefully, considering the higher-profile VENUE here for this one, times may be a chaging (with an .MOBI or two leading the way)? :music:

Cheers and best wishes,

C.T. Kirkpatrick

You too, thanks again and much appreciated Think! :wave:
-Jeff B-)

•••
scandiman said:
Great analysis CT. I wonder which bank may one day buy bank.com and bank.mobi. Hard to forget that branding pair but good luck getting Madison Avenue to sell the concept. Kind of like getting an accountant to support a flat tax.

Thanks Scandi,

I'd love to hear about a flat tax. Now what do we do with all these accountants? J/K :)

To Jeff's credit he was on the right track with suggesting Bank of America might be a company to consider purchasing a premium generic Mobi as BofA owns Loans.com:

http://www.Loans.com

They do seem to be one of the companies that understand the value of generic traffic ;)

But yes, it is still a hard sell. I regret I will not be going to the New York Traffic show as it looks like it's got some potential to be very electric. Madison Avenue is returning , Steve Forbes is rumored to be keynoting, and I think the Dot Coms listed for auction are the strongest I've seen yet for a Traffic auction. Couple that with the Business2.0 article hitting the shelves and many other domain events sprouting up and it should be an exciting month for domains especially for the summer time :imho:

Cheers!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back