NameSilo

question January 2022 - Slow on sales for me. How is it for you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
November and December 2021 were two of my best months since I started domaining 12 years ago. December was the best, with a few nice four-figure sales, especially NFT and Metaverse related names. My last sale was around 12/23. However, January has been extremely slow for me. Practically no sale activity this month, with the exception of three low ball offers, which I rejected.

How is January 2022 treating you?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I haven't been able to sell any names since October 2021. Might look to let go of average domains and get a better quality domains.
I hope you get a decent sale soon!

•••
Hi

going on 20 years in domaining now.
so, slow sales in January 2022 don't mean nothing

i only sold a couple of domains in 2021 and who knows, might not sell any this year.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
It's only two weeks into the new year. January generally sluggish for most business. Good luck to everyone in the new year 2022.

P.S.
Had two small sales this month.

Last edited:
•••
•••
OK overall, no sales in the last week.

•••
I had a relatively slow December, but a solid January (so far).

Even if you own a large portfolio sales tend to be streaky, but even out over time.

I don't judge sales on a short time scale. If you are getting inquiries, the sales will come.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Slow last 3 weeks of december, not too bad january

•••
Slow here too- one unpaid sale :( buyer did not paid yet, Hope for good sales.

•••
I think what is good to do now is not be optimistic or pessimistic about it, but rather think, analyze and plan. And especially understand where we are now.

I had an average September, a good half of October, a scary second half and October and absolutely scary November, followed by a great December that basically saved year's sales.

Now in January, first week = lots of sales, second week =silence.

So what's going on?

- Whoever planned to buy stuff at the beginning of the new year, might have bought them then (if they had funds).
- Many SMB owners don't have cash right now = everyone spent a lot during holidays. They'll have more by the end of this month.
- Markets are spooked, Bitcoin is down and while there's no direct connection, whenever the market is bearish the domain sales tend to decrease.
- Domain market is still here and will stay here.

Overall, expected fluctuations. Domaining is a sit tight and wait game, not a fast trade etc.

What you can / should do?

- Probably nothing major yet. There is no conclusion over a trend until April or something. Any conclusion right now is taken too much in haste. Even so, in May things might go on the reverse.
- If market slows down over the next few months, rethink your strategy. Keep your best names, don't renew the questionables, buy more at low price OR (better idea) buy much less but perhaps more expensive names, but with a highest possible sales ratio.
- Apply the 80/20 rule. Works very well in domains too. (get rid of the low values)
- Watch reported sales here on NP and elsewhere. Sit tight meantime.
- And perhaps a good idea is to send some mails and see if something sells. That's outbound.
- Also rework your prices (not necessarily lower but us prices that match the domain's value), list on more marketplaces, etc.

We're in an economical crisis and it's no wonder that it impacts everything. But intrinsically, domain market has grown significantly lately. There is turmoil and high fluctuations but money is still flowing, as long as people and businesses still have access to money.

Last edited:
•••
@twiki Have you ever been accused of overanalyzing things? :xf.wink:

When it comes to short time frames – whether in domain investing, playing poker for a living (I did that for 8 years), or similar – luck/chance/randomness plays a huge role. With that said, I like your advice to sit tight and use time to sharpen your sword.

•••
@twiki Have you ever been accused of overanalyzing things? :xf.wink:

When it comes to short time frames – whether in domain investing, playing poker for a living (I did that for 8 years), or similar – luck/chance/randomness plays a huge role. With that said, I like your advice to sit tight and use time to sharpen your sword.
Maybe accused occasionally - but I have an analytical mind. It helps me getting a grip over reality.

There probably is an analytical bias from my business background, where this feedback loop (measure - project - adjust - repeat) is an ongoing process that never ends. But it is also is one of the keys of my success in domains too.

However, whoever is best at projecting the future has chances of being much more successful (in domains and whatnot), rather than the one who is accurately defining what is. That's the reverse side of the coin. Projections, events and trends tend to beat accurate measurement.

Some people definitely find some inspiration though in my analysis.

(edited for clarity)

Later edit: But I also give actionable steps and conclusions whenever possible. I think people need some of that too, and not just mere saying, "I think this year's gonna be great" and that's all.

Last edited:
•••
@twiki I didn't mean to criticize. I both enjoy and learn from reading your posts. And I fully agree that to be successful, you definitely need to analyze, think and plan next steps.

•••
@twiki I didn't mean to criticize. I both enjoy and learn from reading your posts. And I fully agree that to be successful, you definitely need to analyze, think and plan next steps.

That's alright - some criticism is good if well intended.

•••
That's alright - some criticism is good if well intended.

I think it's normal to feel like this, because you have a huge portfolio and must pay a shithoad of money in renewals every month. I would feel the same.
I'm new in domaining, but managed to sell 10 domains in clearance prices over the last 30 days, that I would drop otherwise.
I thought they would not sell, because they were my entry level hand regs, but they did. At least I got my money back plus 50 dollars haha.

Last edited:
•••
November and December 2021 were two of my best months since I started domaining 12 years ago. December was the best, with a few nice four-figure sales, especially NFT and Metaverse related names. My last sale was around 12/23. However, January has been extremely slow for me. Practically no sale activity this month, with the exception of three low ball offers, which I rejected.

How is January 2022 treating you?
Just fine.

•••
•••
December 2021+January 2022 - no sales for me.
My portfolio: 1200 domains /560+ squadhelp premium/:xf.eek:

•••
January: Great start + some pending sales from December. It is a very slow week for me too. No stress. That's domaining.

•••
Not too bad. Should be better. But 2022 is a special year, awakening year, end of many big businesses, or new owners for them. Ukraine joins Russia (and US supports this under Trump presidency, otherwise Russia would want Alaska back..). End of covid story probably, and this may be positive for some businesses. Not sure how things would develop in domain sense. We may see aliens on TV at some point, first show an AI version just in case things go wrong.

Last edited:
•••
I guess it depends on what type of domains you own. Sometimes selling just one domain in the year is a big deal. Especially when you have higher quality names.

•••
So far no sales in January, just low-ball offers and couple of fake deals, SEDO and DAN are following up with buyers but I have no hopes at all.

Looked at my previous years of sales data and January for me was always slow. 2021 was a record-breaking year for me and only had couple of thousand dollars sales in January 2021.

•••
Was slow but picking up. Had few small sales but so far did about 15k in sales. Had a few sales every week. Highest 3500, average around 2k. Hearing mixed results for Jan from my friend circle as well . No rhyme or reason.

•••
Not too bad. Should be better. But 2022 is a special year, awakening year, end of many big businesses, or new owners for them. Ukraine joins Russia (and US supports this under Trump presidency, otherwise Russia would want Alaska back..). End of covid story probably, and this may be positive for some businesses. Not sure how things would develop in domain sense. We may see aliens on TV at some point, first show an AI version just in case things go wrong.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter....

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back