NameSilo

It is not easy to say a domain name is legal or illegal?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I think that it is not easy to say a domain name is legal or illegal? I have domain name: downtownasia.com. Hopefully, there will be a project under this name. Do you think it is legal?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is easy to say that I dont understand what u r trying to say.

•••
Why would downtown Asia be illegal? Check if there is a TM on downtownasia (perhaps its a company). If there is not TM on downtown asia, the domain is not illegal.

•••
Asia has a downtown??? lol

Ok, domains are not illegal per se, it is more like "is it infringing on a TM?". There are many factors invloved in determining if your domain violates TM rights. the name, the TM, usage, classification, intent...

So it usually isn't wwther the name is illegal, it more like ar the actions of the owner illegal. So due diligence in researching names before you register them always help. Also, having an idea in mind wouldn;t hurt either. Many people will see a domain and invent a reason to use it (knowing that it is infringing on the TM) and the TM holder would ahve to prove the person registered the name in bad faith.

It is usually never a black and white guideline with domains, usually many gey area are involved.

•••
Thanks for your comments! I agree that many domains in the grey area. I believe that downtownasia is legal... but you already know that there are many fights for domain names :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back