IT.COM

debate Is .XYZ Brilliant or Dumb? 7 figure loss from their "penny" promotion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Addison

Top Member
Impact
Daniel Negari gloated over the company’s growth in 2016.

Negari stated that .XYZ registrations outsold those of .COM by “over 1 million in June.”

xyz-registrations-june-2016.jpg

Effectively, .XYZ more than doubled its registration numbers at a loss, through the penny promo. Negari stated that the registry incurred a loss of “7 figures in ICANN fees.”

If the 5% renewal rate holds for the $0.01 .XYZ registrations, the Registry is looking to retain 158,506 domains and lose more than 3 million domains at anniversary time, June 2017.

Read more . . .

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Numbers have already been dropping since Oct. 18 according to - https://ntldstats.com/tld/xyz and https://namestat.org/xyz

If in fact it does lose 3 million regs next Summer, that's going to make news, it's not going to be a good look. It's about half the regs.

You also have about 20 registrars that have them for $1.99 and less, 10 of them for $1 and less. And the numbers are still dropping. Things like penny promotions and $1.99 and less regs are basically training domainers to wait for deals like that. Get 1 domain now for $2 or wait for a penny promotion and get 200. That's not brilliant. I would be interested to see what they come up with to possibly offset that Summer drop.

Last edited:
•••
Because, simply dot xyz looks awful. You cannot brand yourself on that extension and be taken seriously.

•••
Daniel Negari gloated over the company’s growth in 2016.
Negari stated that .XYZ registrations outsold those of .COM by “over 1 million in June.”

That sums up their strategy right there. They can advertise and boast the registration numbers to the general public who are not aware of the reduced prices.

•••
•••
Brilliant today, dumb tomorrow.

•••
Well I'm a .com man, but I did reg an xyz name. It was for a farmer friend, and he wanted something with the farm name in it. It's a common name, and most extensions have been reg'd, so I reg'd the xyz. I'll probably renew it when the time comes and pay a reasonable fee.

I agree that xyz is a bit strange, but then so is com - what is it short for communist, commercial, community, company, compendium or Comoros ( that's the COM country code).

•••
I agree that xyz is a bit strange, but then so is com - what is it short for communist, commercial, community, company, compendium or Comoros ( that's the COM country code).

Actually .km is the ccTLD for Comoros and .com is a TLD derived from the word commercial.
I do apoligize however for interrupting your misinformation campaign :)

Last edited:
•••
It was a costly bet. Hope they recover soon. They are one of the active GTLD ambassadors.

•••
As investors, why will you purchase a domain promoting by registries for penny?
It's shows no value to anyone. Good luck.

•••
Actually .km is the ccTLD for Comoros and .com is a TLD derived from the word commercial.
I do apoligize however for interrupting your misinformation campaign :)

I didn't suggest it was the TLD for Comoros - I said the "country code" for Comoros is COM, and this is the 3 digit interntional code, you can verify this via Google before you post accusing people of misinformation, and attempt to spred your own misinformtion.

Of course com was intended to be an abbreviation for commercial back in the days of cno domains ( com, net, org for the newbies). My point was that the use became so diluted that BIZ was created to try to focus on commercil sites. These days COM just means a respectable and possibly well established domain. The letters are now meaningless in that context. It's my opinion that xyz is a better description of a general website category. However, .com is so well estblished, that xyz is unlikely to catch up imho. It does have a place on the net for low-budget and personal sites though

•••
Because, simply dot xyz looks awful. You cannot brand yourself on that extension and be taken seriously.
agree 100 % , how can someone be taken seriously with a .xyz domain extension , now if it's just for fun , just a silly project your working on I say go for it , why not .

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back