NameSilo
  1. → We are performing a scheduled upgrade. The site may be intermittently unavailable. ←

Is this domainer taking a risk?

Labeled as question in Legal Discussion, started by MapleDots, Oct 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM

Replies:
Views:

1. MapleDots

MapleDots Top Contributor VIP

Picture0010.png

For my business I use a credit union instead of a bank and their web address is MeridianCU.ca

I made a mistake and typed in MeridianCU.com

Picture0012.png

Hmmm, is it just me or is the owner of this domain just asking for a UDRP?

Would you risk a few pennies of parking income on something like this?

There is no way anyone would EVER use a domain like MeridianCU other than to target the owner of the company that obviously owns the right to the name.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

That's an interesting question. It appears MeridianCU.com was registered 2 years (in 2002) before the .ca version (in 2004). I'm not a lawyer but wonder if that will have a bearing. Was Meridian Credit Union around at that time and have they already been using that name?

3. MapleDots

Picture0013.png

Looks like it came to be in 2005

So I assume the .com was dropped in 2004 and then hand registered again in what year?

4. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't think he thinks the domains had much resale value since it is too specific the said CU and just squeezing out the type in traffic for some parking revenue as long as it is working.

5. Windoms

Windoms Top Contributor VIP

I have a 4L which is the acronym of a very very very large organization.
    That 4L was once parked using Godaddy's nameservers. Basic godaddy type of homepage lander.
    Then GD changed so that when you use their nameservers, it directs to afternic parking landers with ads, that change happened a couple months ago.

One day I visited the domain and found ads pointing to that very specific company's website..

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

I think having monetized ads is definitely a risk in the case you show.

Beyond that, meridian is a generic word that could be used in many areas - expeditions, consulting, navigation, sailing, reference, etc. OpenCorporates show more than 14,000 active listings for the word, indicating lots of possible uses all over the world.

So I see no risk with the domain, that I would view as valuable, but yes advertising that seems to target a TM owner is unwise and dangerous.

Bob

7. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

According to Whois, the registration year for .com version is 2002. So it doesn't appear to be dropped since.

Hi Bob. Interesting points you raise as well. The way I see it is that financial related ads do not violate TM. It's too generic. I can see if you had a tesla related domain and had tesla ads on it. That is very specific. But someone may prove me wrong.

The fact that the .com owner registered a matching name of the .ca owner 2 years earlier, it is hard to understand the motive unless that person had some real inside information and preemptively registered the domain knowing that the same name would be used by a Canadian company in a couple of years. It's possible but would need to be proven.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 6:22 PM
  8. MapleDots

I don't think the issue is as much the Meridian tag as it is the combination of Meridian, CU (Credit Union), and the fact they are targeting similar in the ad.

So 3 no no no's in my opinion

I mean really, what are the odds of more than one MeridianCU in the world?

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Top Member NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

Few minutes of search indicated at least two, one in US one in Canada. I expect others somewhere.

10. xynames

xynames XYNames.com PRO VIP

As I’ve said many times before
    People just repeat the same thing enough times about how you must avoid PPC landing page ads because these are somehow fodder for udrp claims until they think it’s true.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 8:39 PM
  11. MapleDots

Picture0014.png

Yes you are correct www.meridiancu.org

12. CraigD

CraigD 360promo.com VIP

Cu is also the elemental symbol for copper, and there is a Meridian mining group who mine copper.

I'm just pointing out that it could be unrelated to a credit union.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 11:47 AM

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice