IT.COM

Is there a 30-day lock for hand registered domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

PreciousNickia

Established Member
Impact
Hi Fellow NPers!

For a while now DirectNic has been my registrar of choice. Every week I buy a lot of domains, market them and flip them. I tell my buyers to create a DirectNic account, then let a DirectNic agent (there are usually two I specifically deal with) manually move the domain for me. I've been doing this for months with no problems at all.

Today, I try to ask a different agent who've I've never seen before, to move a domain for me and he told me he can't do it because of the domain is under a 30-day lock. According to him, they have a security policy in place that prevents domain pushes within 30 days of their initial registration. However, I don't understand this as I've been smoothy doing this with for months with them, but as soon as I get this unknown agent, it's an issue and he has to ask his manager who also corroborates his claim.

I'm confused now. Were these two DirectNic agents just being nice and not so to-the-book by doing that for me all these months or is there really a 30-day lock period? Is this a specific DirectNic policy or other registrars do this too? Of course, I know about the 60-day lock period but I didn't know there are wait periods to transfer to another account at the SAME registrar. I find it weird because I did this once before with a domain at GoDaddy (sold within 3 days of registration) and it was fine... What is up with DirectNic? Last night I was thinking to maybe use GoDaddy again because most of my buyers have accounts there, but DirectNic seemed to be the most convenient for me as a reseller. I like them a lot but maybe I should cut ties.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
afaik with Name Silo you just go to your panel and push the name to another account with them. I've done this a couple of times. I don't have to ask a rep to do this, I just do it through the panel.

•••
Maybe that agent is ignorant of the PUSH policy, or DirectNIC migh have introduced register specific policy with out notice of any users !!!

but NO with other registrar's you can push them right away

Just 2 days ago I registered 2 domains (these names re regged for the first time ever) on GoDaddy and PUSHED them in minutes to other GoDaddy accounts

•••
Hmm sounds really odd to me, I would initially say the agent is a bit confused but seems his/her manager is just as confused. There is no 30day lock that I am aware off...perhaps you should get hold of the agents you normally deal with and ask them to enlighten the other agent and his manager.

•••
I'll have to look into it. It's not outlined in their terms and conditions or FAQ either. They transferred it for me anyways, but only as a "special circumstance". I don't want to have to go through all of that for a simple push. I'll probably just stop using them.

•••
Just dont use that registrar in the future

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back