Dynadot

Is 60-day buy-lock at Dynadot unfair?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just bought a domain at dynadot at a bin and it is locked for 60-day can't even be moved to another dynadot account (or other register either). "The domain, ... has been moved into your account. The domain will remain on "buy" lock status for 60 days. You can still use ... and change the domain's name servers during this time."
Is this unfair and should dynadot make the buy-lock on bin listings the same as auctions there? Should they reduce it to 15 days? Any idea how I can make money with this policy of waiting about 2 months?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
this is new icann 60 day lock and Its frustrating if ur trying to make quick flip, but i was thinking that is valid for only transfer to another registrar :/

•••
That, is not completely accurate this lock is imposed by dynadot. Yes, there is a similar lock that icann does on some domains from transferring out. However, this auction-lock is dynadot policy which doesn't allow transfer to another dynadot account either thus holding my domain hostage stuck in my dynadot account for 2 months.

•••
@Daniel Owens is right. This is their marketplace /auction lock

•••
Just bought a domain at dynadot at a bin and it is locked for 60-day can't even be moved to another dynadot account (or other register either). "The domain, ... has been moved into your account. The domain will remain on "buy" lock status for 60 days. You can still use ... and change the domain's name servers during this time."
Is this unfair and should dynadot make the buy-lock on bin listings the same as auctions there? Should they reduce it to 15 days? Any idea how I can make money with this policy of waiting about 2 months?

As far as I'm concerned, companies like NameCheap, GoDaddy, and other registrars have the same 60 day period where a domain cannot be transferred. I highly believe this has to do with ICANN's policies in any case. The company I work at is the absolute same in that regard of a domain registration, as we aren't resellers and an actual verified Registrar.

•••
@RS_Yoan This is their marketplace /auction lock. Thanks for the tip.

•••
Dynadot catches names too, that is the good thing. Fair? Like allowing re-regs on expired names like other marketplaces is a far worse issue.

Next time use a different registrar where you can do an immediate push. I believe Namesilo does, and Namebright allows pushes before the hold period. Check into them. Very great batch processing tools, redirects, etc. imho.

•••
Domain is always locked to the registrar for 60 days after ownership name changes. Being unable to transfer it within Dynadot seems a bit extreme.

•••
usually for 60 day locks.. you cna still push to other accounts.. are you sure about this one?

•••
Yes, 100% sure you can't move even to another account.
"
Why is my domain in "Buy Lock" status?

When you purchase a domain through our marketplace, our system automatically places it on a "Buy Lock" for 60 days. The domain can still be used during this time - you can still set your name servers, DNS, etc - however, you will not be able to move the domain to another Dynadot account or transfer the domain to another domain registrar.

The reason for this lock is to prevent fraud. This lock helps protect our sellers from not being compensated for their domain and then losing the domain because the buyer transferred it out."

usually for 60 day locks.. you cna still push to other accounts.. are you sure about this one?

•••
I like the fraud protection part. Excellent idea actually.

•••
Yes, 100% sure you can't move even to another account.
"
Why is my domain in "Buy Lock" status?

When you purchase a domain through our marketplace, our system automatically places it on a "Buy Lock" for 60 days. The domain can still be used during this time - you can still set your name servers, DNS, etc - however, you will not be able to move the domain to another Dynadot account or transfer the domain to another domain registrar.

The reason for this lock is to prevent fraud. This lock helps protect our sellers from not being compensated for their domain and then losing the domain because the buyer transferred it out."

thats weird. I know of no other registrar which prevents pushes on the 60 day lock. I do it regularly on godaddy for example.
oh well.. now I have one more reason keep away dynadot.
I only have like 10 domains there.. and they keep getting worse easch year with the rules.. like recent reduction days after expiry and extra payment for recovering domain or renewing or transfering away... after xpiry.

plus their interface is like atari 800xl

gl

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back