Dynadot

discuss Is the Domain King on the money with his predictions for .WEB?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In back-to-back tweets Rick shared his thoughts on .WEB which he thinks will get more registrations in its first 30 days than any other new gTLD. It’s hard not to listen when someone who has been in the domain industry since the very beginning highlights a new gTLD when he’s in general not a huge fan of new gTLDs. Right or wrong I’m always a fan of people sharing their opinions and have always liked that Rick isn’t shy about it.
In short, I’m listening and I am very interested in seeing how .WEB does, Rick has been made some pretty solid predictions over the years, could this be his next big one? What do you think? Comment and let your voice be heard!..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
image-webchart-BC5A_58E0D4F6.png

The Top 50 New Domain Extensions
https://www.uniteddomains.com/newgtld-ranking/

•••
Where do you even register .web domains anyway? i cant find a single registrar doing them

•••
•••
I find it funny when he makes these so-called bold predictions. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that .web is the only truly universal gtld that makes sense so obviously it should get a lot of registrations. There are only a few that are universal and most of them suck. .xyz, .online, .top, .site, .link, .click, and .web. I would never build a company on any of these but if I had to choose one it would be .web.

The truth is if .net can't or won't be popular then neither will .web so don't even bother registering any.

Just for fun I checked to see if whatdidricksay.com was registered and it is. It still amazes me what gets registered these days. :)

Last edited:
•••
Cant compete against .net so what chance against .com.
Defensive buy from Verisign, there is no compelling reason for them to market heavily OR leave enough on the bone for domainers. My guess is that they will price them around $35 each retail, they will know it will be like pushing string up a hill to get high numbers without giving them away.

•••
Most of us call it the interNET these days, not the "World Wide Web". That is such a dated term. Why would .web be better?
Such a good point these nGTLDs are suppose to be for the next generation. The X generation dont use web in everyday speach; 'on the net' 'search the net' 'google it' when was the last time you heard surf the web or any other term using the word web.
We are often so in the domain bubble we have no idea what resonates with the general public and speaking of the 'web' shows you are an uncool 40 something

Last edited:
•••
I think I am the coolest - although (or becasue) I say & write 'web' / 'WEB' as often as I want - without wasting a second or a half if this term 'fits these days or not' - because I knowww that I live in the moment so maybe I am 22 or 44 or 66 or 88 or 111 or another age becasue the moment is always only nowww

Hahaahaaa
Yeahhh

web web web
WEB WEB WEB

I have nothing aginst 'net' - but it's the 'web' because it's the www / world wide web - for ever, to the top.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Cant compete against .net so what chance against .com.
Defensive buy from Verisign, there is no compelling reason for them to market heavily OR leave enough on the bone for domainers. My guess is that they will price them around $35 each retail, they will know it will be like pushing string up a hill to get high numbers without giving them away.
maybe the other way. because it's a defensive buy, they will price them around .net price and just charge premium for L LL and LLL names just like ccTLD. With their massive resources, .web can be promoted to be the only Ngtld worthy reg and trust from around 1000 Ngtld.. if it's price with above mindset, I believe it can be the new ".com" from 1000 ntld and the rest is just "new org net mobi"

•••
maybe the other way. because it's a defensive buy, they will price them around .net price and just charge premium for L LL and LLL names just like ccTLD. With their massive resources, .web can be promoted to be the only Ngtld worthy reg and trust from around 1000 Ngtld.. if it's price with above mindset, I believe it can be the new ".com" from 1000 ntld and the rest is just "new org net mobi"
The very best .web can become is the new .net. If anything has been shown over these last 4 years its there IS no demand.

•••
Depends on the OP's description of success. I think everyone is leary of new gTLD's right now and the market is getting quite saturated. If I paid big bucks for shop.net would I pay big bucks again for shop.web? Question is what is the breaking point and when would I say the hell with it I will just make a longer .com using mynameshop.com and be done with it.

I think a lot of people are starting to think that way.

Example, for one of my businesses I use:
MaridianNaturalMedicine.ca (I also own the com) and MNM.ca

In any advertisement or the back of my delivery vehicles I use the long domain version because it says everything about my business. I use the short mnm.ca mostly for email and sub domains like about.mnm.ca.

For my domaining business would I do better with MD.com or MapleDots.com?

Personally I will pass on the new gTLD's and opt for a longer .com or a top-level country code domain. They have structure and everyone knows what they mean.

.com means company .web means.... well.... web
Personally I will leave those domains for the blogging sites.

Don't get mad at me if you own .gTLD's..... I am merely stating my own personal opinion.

•••

The TLD .com stands as abbrevation for the term/s 'commerce' / 'commercial' while the (future) TLD .web isn't an abbrevation and stands for the... ...web :xf.cool:

Last edited:
•••
Given a choice between typing .com/.net/.web .web is in 3rd place due to the stretch towards the b in the middle of the keyboard.

Strangely enough .com is easiest to type. It should be top dog as long as the namespace uses the period "."

•••
Given a choice between typing .com/.net/.web .web is in 3rd place due to the stretch towards the b in the middle of the keyboard.

Maybe - but from a 'typing comfort', it's definitely .top which is the easiest to type - all letters are in one (BTW, in the top [letter] - ) rowww

[ T ] [ Y / Z ] [ U ] [ I ] [ O ] [ P ]

Last edited:
•••
Depends on the OP's description of success. I think everyone is leary of new gTLD's right now and the market is getting quite saturated. If I paid big bucks for shop.net would I pay big bucks again for shop.web? Question is what is the breaking point and when would I say the hell with it I will just make a longer .com using mynameshop.com and be done with it.

I think a lot of people are starting to think that way.

Example, for one of my businesses I use:
MaridianNaturalMedicine.ca (I also own the com) and MNM.ca

In any advertisement or the back of my delivery vehicles I use the long domain version because it says everything about my business. I use the short mnm.ca mostly for email and sub domains like about.mnm.ca.

For my domaining business would I do better with MD.com or MapleDots.com?

Personally I will pass on the new gTLD's and opt for a longer .com or a top-level country code domain. They have structure and everyone knows what they mean.

Personally I will leave those domains for the blogging sites.

Don't get mad at me if you own .gTLD's..... I am merely stating my own personal opinion.
Actually .com is short for commercial.

•••
Actually .com is short for commercial.
Dot com is short for I am on the net and I will make it easy for you to remember and find me.
Dot web is short for, what's that all about is it spam or some clever branding and I got to add the .com.

Last edited:
•••
I don't like .web - it doesn't make any sense to me. You are creating a site, and not a network. >net has a marginal appeal for social interaction sites, but I don't really like that either. I registered a few .xyz names as I thought it was a good "poor relation" to .com. I registered a .in and a .gold for specific projects, but I don't consider those tlds for general stuff.

But what do I know, I thought the Beatles would never be a success with a stupid name like that. :)

•••
Maybe - but from a 'typing comfort', it's definitely .top which is the easiest to type - all letters are in one (BTW, in the top [letter] - ) rowww

[ T ] [ Y / Z ] [ U ] [ I ] [ O ] [ P ]

you've got the advertising and marketing angle covered for the .top registry. How much are they going to have to pay you?!?

•••
you've got the advertising and marketing angle covered for the .top registry. How much are they going to have to pay you?!?

Thanks, but I am not working for the .top registry.
I this sense, I could ask you if you are working for or against Versign (they own .com / .web)?

*because of your 'pro .com attitude'
**because of your 'contra
.web attitude'

Last edited:
•••
I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how .web will totally under-perform compared to everyone's expectations and predictions.

Last edited:
•••
And that whole argument that "It's going to take time for mainstream to catch on to the new Gs" is starting to sound redundant.

We're 3 years into this game already while things go viral with tens of millions of views and the whole world knowing a new concept within a matter of hours.

There will be no landrush of 5 and 6-figure sales on new Gs. They'll be traded for $xxx, except the 1-word domain hacks for monster keywords. The new Gs are devaluing themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, but I am not working for the .top registry.
I this sense, I could ask you if you are working for or against Versign (they own .com / .web)?

*because of your 'pro .com attitude'
**because of your 'contra
.web attitude'

No seriously, that's a great idea for some creative copy, pitch it :)

But for me that awkward zone in the middle of the keyboard when palms are rested either side - makes any string with "4567rtyufghvb" have a fractional disadvantage, be it domains, proper names, usernames passwords whatever. -as long as people still use keyboards that is.

•••
No seriously, that's a great idea for some creative copy, pitch it :)

But for me that awkward zone in the middle of the keyboard when palms are rested either side - makes any string with "4567rtyufghvb" have a fractional disadvantage, be it domains, proper names, usernames passwords whatever. -as long as people still use keyboards that is.

Thanks, it's a great fact, but there is already a photo (not by me) which shows it:

upload_2017-4-5_18-10-50.png

But I think it is possible that you set your focus a bit too much on the keyboard.
You already can use voice control, this will anyway be the future.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, it's a great fact, but there is already a photo (not by me) which shows it:

Show attachment 54328

But I think it is possible that you set your focus a bit too much on the keyboard.
You already can use voice control, this will anyway be the future.

I can't wait to see what replaces the keyboard. Voice Is not going to help in quiet places or where privacy is a concern.

I'd bet on a vr/ar stylus:- with that in mind whatever is easiest to write in joined up script gets my vote.

.ws has to be a top contender for an easy to write ext.

Characters t i j k f q g p d e x carry more overheads depending on one's handwriting style.

•••
I use Google voice when I'm looking at sites on my mobile. I get some really strange results because Google doesn't seem to recognise a received English accent.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back