NameSilo

discuss Is the Domain King on the money with his predictions for .WEB?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
In back-to-back tweets Rick shared his thoughts on .WEB which he thinks will get more registrations in its first 30 days than any other new gTLD. It’s hard not to listen when someone who has been in the domain industry since the very beginning highlights a new gTLD when he’s in general not a huge fan of new gTLDs. Right or wrong I’m always a fan of people sharing their opinions and have always liked that Rick isn’t shy about it.
In short, I’m listening and I am very interested in seeing how .WEB does, Rick has been made some pretty solid predictions over the years, could this be his next big one? What do you think? Comment and let your voice be heard!..
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When is the launch date of .web?

•••
New gtlds will become more popular when the the general public starts seeing new gtld web addresses on commercial vehicles in everyday use and the public associating the company using a new gtld as their web address as a quality company and then thinking if that company uses a new style gtld as their website address we ought to etc

Birds of the feather etc etc

•••
I have no doubt that .web will be on top of all newww TLDs in the short run.
But also not, that
.top will be on top of alll TLDs in the long run.

Last edited:
•••
But also not, that

somehow i had no doubt you would show up with .top here :)

•••
But also not, that

somehow i had no doubt you would show up with .top here :)

Yeahhh and somehow i had no doubt that you would show up with a comment about my comment ;)

Seriously, I think .web will do great because it sounds much more 'compact / bigger / stronger' than .net - which sounds somehow 'thin', even a bit 'specific' / 'tech - like'.
Nothing against 'thin' - but a TLD should not sound 'thin', it should sound top if it should get heard!

Furthermore, the term 'web' sounds (already) familiar and great but on the other side, unfortuantely...
... it simply doesn't sound top - that's why I think that it will / can not stay on top in the long run - in contrast to .top which definitely sounds (already) top, everyone can hear that!

Last edited:
•••
90% of Ricks predictions are spot on.

Do remember that he lost quite a bit of money on .ws domains. "WS" stands for web site, which is very similar to .web for 'web site'.

I don't agree with his vision of .web. It may be the top preforming gTLD, but it's just another .ws that should be invested in accordingly.

I expect that the registry will launch it as some kind of cheap .com supplement.

•••
so is .link, .site, .zone, .online etc...
ok, they are longer a bit (does it matter?), then is it any better than .net?

I think that .web is a generic, neutral term with the advantage of a strong connection with a presence on the World Wide Web!

In the sense of autority .web will have less than .com, and, IMO, it will be a second choice under "king".

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've made some one-word free reservations into .web, but will see... the costs :xf.cool:

I like .web, it is a well-known worlwide term, consistent in the field.
Where do you reserve .web names?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Given the weakness .net is seeing one of the oldest, and most established extensions

It will only prove how .web might have an initial registration hype run, then flounder out.

The evidence is already there in .net and pricing.

I hear people use the term net more than web.

Experts sometimes hit, sometimes miss, if you followed his mobi call signal you would be under water. The experts who got .com right, continue to get it right, because .com carries itself.

.web was bought for what I think was $135M, how can they not hold back, or charge premiums? There is no way the model can work otherwise.

There is always a gold standard you can't have .com .net .web all sharing it. One has to be dominant, and the other has to be second best. No real business wants to invest big money into a second best term, knowing the best term is still out there.

What people fail to realize is this is not an unknown, all the info is right in front of you.

It's essentially fools gold, and people will buy regardless, and I think it's great, as this is how people learn, but 3 years into the gtlds, we are learning every month what mistakes were made, and how registrants are at the mercy of the operators. Nobody can tell them how to price.

.web can sell all the names for $50 each, then the following year jack the price up to $1000 a year, you are at their mercy.

Don't think the registries are going to let you make money ontop of money of their backs.

They didn't pay $135M, so you could profit off their investments.

Last edited:
•••
To 'reserve'* them now, is in fact nothing other than a 'trap' - an easy way for them to find out, which domain names are desired - through this 'reserve' - process* they will get a nice big picture of what they 'should' make 'premium (priced)' or even reserve (to auction it later).

*free, non binding

How Does Pre-Registration Work? https://www.uniteddomains.com/ntld/pre-register-new-domains/

First, domains with new extensions will be available for free, non-binding pre-registration. Pre-registering will ensure you’re updated with your domain’s registration to help you prepare for launch. When your domain’s release date gets close, you will be able to confirm its pre-order. Once you confirm your pre-order, we will submit it for registration automatically on its go-live date, so you don’t have to lift a finger at launch. You will only be charged for pre-ordered domains that are successfully registered and there are no additional fees for pre-ordering, so you face no risk.

•••
•••
How Does Pre-Registration Work? https://www.uniteddomains.com/ntld/pre-register-new-domains/

First, domains with new extensions will be available for free, non-binding pre-registration. Pre-registering will ensure you’re updated with your domain’s registration to help you prepare for launch. When your domain’s release date gets close, you will be able to confirm its pre-order. Once you confirm your pre-order, we will submit it for registration automatically on its go-live date, so you don’t have to lift a finger at launch. You will only be charged for pre-ordered domains that are successfully registered and there are no additional fees for pre-ordering, so you face no risk.
This makes no sense, you could order 100000 domains, and not have the money to pay for them. They have to make a deposit somewhere.

•••

@wwwweb

This procedure is transparent, because the free pre-registration allows somebody to be informed and to be in the first row for pre-order at the time of the launch. Of course, who makes pre-regestration will be advised about the fees before the confirmation of the pre-order.

Last edited:
•••
@wwwweb

This procedure is transparent, because the free pre-registration allows somebody to be informed and to be in the first row for pre-order at the time of the launch. Of course, who makes pre-regestration will be advised about the fees before the confirmation of the pre-order.
Thanks, yes confused pre registration with pre order. Makes perfect sense.

•••

Yes, nothing new - this is just 'confirming' my statement indirectly.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
Given the weakness .net is seeing one of the oldest, and most established extensions

It will only prove how .web might have an initial registration hype run, then flounder out.
I tend to agree with what you're saying. In my opinion the craze for .web is emotional but not rational.
I think it could have a following among techies as a niche TLD like .io for startups today. But no way it would become a major extension. It is often said that it looks like a poor cousin of .net, and it lacks a strong identity of its own.

Also, the timing for release could be unfavorable. 3 years on, new extensions are losing steam and it is now very clear that they are not becoming mainstream. Many people will be disillusioned and won't be expecting much from yet another extension.

•••
I personally don't get it. Pretty sure most of us call it the interNET these days, not the "World Wide Web". Why would .web be better?

Because, at least from a language viewww, .web is 'world wide' while .net is only 'inter'.

What counts more, is, that at the end, from this language viewww, none of those two (old / new) TLDs can be on top - because from this language viewww only .top can be on top.

Last edited:
•••
Because, at least from a language viewww, .web is 'world wide' while .net is only 'inter'.

What counts more, is, that at the end, from this language viewww, none of those two (old / new) TLDs can be on top - because from this language viewww only .top can be on top.
King of top, you are conflicted by your own self interests, I own GTLD's also, mainly acquired 2014/2015.

I am seeing the weakness, GTLD's should have shown this weakness most likely a year earlier, but the Chinese run up shielded this for a renewal cycle. They did not realize that domains do not have a solid secondary market when it comes to speculative stock. You cannot simply buy 10000 .99 cent domains, and hope to flip them for $2, this was happening for a while, until nobody figured out renewals go back to regular price.

The framework of the GTLD contracts is a liability to any business, until this is solved you are going to see people back off them. Domainers have been pushing this market, once they back off the short term dollars dry up.

The registries are paying tens of millions of dollars to acquire these extensions, their models cannot afford to have domainers take the cream of the crop while they get a $10 registration fee. The registries have to be able to make the 3-4 figure sales, or premium renewals in order to recoup their investments, and cover their carrying costs.

You cannot take the .com business model, and framework, and transplant it into the GTLD's. Have people been able to profit short term thru the GTLD's based on uneducated buyers in the marketplace, and other eager buyers, YES!

However we saw that come to a stop in 2016/2017 when the registries put crazy premiums to protect their best keywords for actual end users.

You can come, and say whatever you want here, it doesn't change the facts. Many people have entered this industry, not truly understanding how a buy, and hold portfolio works, and the strategy, and management behind it.

.web might make someone rich, but it is not going to be a domainer.

•••
You can come, and say whatever you want here, it doesn't change the facts.

I believe that I can create new facts which will change the old / current facts in fact.
There is no way that .web can top .top at the end.

Last edited:
•••
Completely agree with some of the posters above not pro .web.

.net is considered second best to .com by a long way and many of the biggest domainers that own phenomenal .nets have clearly stated they can't shift them, end users won't pay up for them in this day and age. You expect .web to perform any better? Web is a dated term, .net is a far better extension IMO.

I'm not even starting with all the other points, like renewal price uncertainties etc. This has all the makings of a domainer craze/fad with big registration numbers out of the gate and then the extension massively under performing in terms of end user sales and domainers flaking when they see not enough end user adoption/sales.

Oh and by the way i'm an end user and I wouldn't use .web under any conditions for a Company project. I would use .net before .web every single time if I couldn't get the .com or .co.uk equivalent domain first.

•••
Keep promoting dot web so I can snag more dot coms with less people in my way. It's worked well in the past with this hype for me.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back