Domain Empire

Is "SEDO" a scam? (PremiumDomains.com)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I saw "PremiumDomains.com" and saw that a website was being offered at $2,000. I clicked "Make an Offer" -- and it sent me to a form on SEDO.com and to charge me $69 to make an offer on a domain. I signed up -- and all it did was bill my credit card $69 -- and not let me purchase the domain, or even make an offer on it

Did I do something wrong --- or is this whole thing part of a scam?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wha? I went through this but I don't see how it charged your credit card. Weird.

•••
Even if PremiumDomains.com did charge the credit card in errot, that doesn't mean SEDO is a scam (which is what the title of this thread suggests) - they are totally different companies.

SEDO does leave a lot to be desired in some areas such as parking rates, but it's definitely not a scam as such.

•••
I saw an advertisement on "PremiumDomains.com" that advertised "Boats.com" was being offered at $2,000

I can't believe I was that naive to think something like Boats.com was $2000 --- so I tried buying it.... and it instead redirected me to SEDO.com

I realize the real scam was PremiumDomains.com

Anyone hear of anything similar?

What would you guys say is the best website to buy domains at fixed rates (no auctions, offers, etc.) ?

Thanks!

•••
Apparantly you paid Sedo $69? Thats for their broking service for domains not listed with them. That money's gone I'm afraid, I'm sure the boats.com won't sell for $2k.

Neither Sedo nor PremiumDomains is trying to con you. PremiumDomains lists domains for free for qualified domains, which to buy you need to visit sedo. Some people list at premiumdomains without listing at sedo, which takes you to the 'broking' offer page at sedo.

Don't see any refund on this, good luck.

•••
So you just mistakenly hired domain broker :)

•••
I would suggest contacting Sedo ( Which in my opinion is a respectable company ) and asking them how to approach in solving this issue.

•••
When people have concerns with PremiumDomains.com why not start contacting us?
It's really a chance I see this thread!

I investigated and there is a guy named Larry Carter ([email protected]) that submitted a bunch of high premium domains (he does not own), and list some of them for sale as if they was also for sale by SEDO for a cheap price. This involves a free listing is placed in PremiumDomains with a link to the domain sale page at SEDO.
Because this guy does not own these names and they are not for sale at SEDO then the landing page is:
http://www.sedo.com/broker/index.php4?domain=boats.com&language=e
This SEDO page propose that for $69.00 SEDO brokers can try to contact the owner of a domain you want and negotiate for you.
Low chances they succeed to buy boats.com for 2K.

So, is Larry Carter a cheater or an idiot?
I think he simply played with our service without imagine he could be cheating people.

But I am going to STOP these people rapidly as we plan to charge a fee to ALL the owners listing domains for sale at PremiumDomains.com and we will remove all the ones that will not pay. The idea is not make money but simply filter the cheaters and the idiots and the people that do not take care.

I just contacted the big heads of SEDO, I am sure they will refund you.
And I hope they will respond to my proposal to better secure all this by providing us a way to control a specific domain is really for sale at SEDO.

•••
cybertonic, your network is one of the better ones for premium domain qualification.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post, I think it's the OPs fault for not reading the sedo landing page completely before paying. But I do hope that Sedo gives him a refund.

As for charging for listing domains, it might work if you use those funds for promoting the domain sales, but for those of us with 100s of premium domains it might not be feasible to pay even $1 per domain. Wouldn't a whois check, like the one Sedo does be better (email from domain admin email?). Just my 0.02, I'm sure you know better what should or should not be done.

•••
Sure I submitted a lot of stuff I don't own to Preminum for their valuation as part of my education into the business. If they turned to be premium domains, I bought them. But I never listed a domain I didn't own. In the case of "boats.com" what I had submitted for valuation was "salmonandcrabboats.com." The boats.com moniker was put on my domain by Premium not me. But because they used it, I thought it was okay to list it as that. I may be an idiot but I'm no cheater. I suppose by the time I learn this business I will make a few more mistakes.

•••
These things happen.

Welcome to NamePros!

•••
Ittiti,

There is nothing dramatic except cause this glitch another newbie like you spend $69 for nothing.

For the next time, just take care of the following:

Only use PremiumDomain.com for certify your OWN domain names.
And only list your OWN domains on PremiumDomains.com or Mocus.com
For get the score of other names simply use the DomainScore.com tool.

James,

If SEDO does not refund you as they should, simply drop me a note within 7 days and I will paypal you these $69.00

Mwzd,

I was not thinking of ask a fee for each domain listed but an annual low fee to can simply list names. Because when you pay something, even if it is cheap you allways take more care on what you do.

•••
cybertonic said:
James,

If SEDO does not refund you as they should, simply drop me a note within 7 days and I will paypal you these $69.00

Good man right there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back