NameSilo

Is Register.com in trouble?

SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

mole

Insectivora MemberEstablished Member
Impact
34
First, delisting from the stock market, now this?

Register.com Reduces Domain Pricing

April 11, 2005 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- Web hosting provider and domain registrar Register.com (register.com) has lowered the price for its single-year domain names from $35 to $30, according to a report by research and analysis firm Netcraft (netcraft.com). The company says the new price point is not permanent, but a "limited time offer."

Register's move comes just weeks after another large registrar and Web hosting provider, Network Solutions (networksolutions.com), started giving away free single-year domain registrations to new Web hosting customers. Network Solutions, which makes the bulk of its money from domains, charges a single-year price of $35.

Internet portal and Web host Yahoo! (yahoo.com) ended its $4.98 domain name pricing promotion, moving the price back up to $9.95, and RegisterFly (registerfly.com) dropped its single-year domain price from $14.95 to $9.95.

Domain name pricing has dropped at a rapid pace across the industry as hosts sell them at a loss in an effort to attract new customers. According to data provided by research and analysis firm Netcraft (netcraft.com), Yahoo!, Go Daddy, Hostway, Interland, 1&1 Internet and EV1Servers all sell domains for less than $10.
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
It probably wouldn't matter to me if they dropped them to 1$ - I believe I'd still pay someone else :hehe: I run the other direction when I see their name in the whois of anything I'm bidding on or interested in ~
 
0
•••
I read the same article on thewhir. If they are trying to be competitive dropping 5.00 is not going to help. I see register.com being gobbled up by some big hosting company or isp this year
 
0
•••
yeah, Register.com is famous for hoarding names with no whois whatsoever, except that its Registrar-Locked with them and thin air.

Bit fishy practices, imho.
 
0
•••
CatchedCatched

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back