IT.COM

question Is my asking price reasonable?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello guys
I have received the following email regarding one of my domain names:

( My name is ---------------- and I am the owner of the company -------------------- . We recently had an issue with our emails from Go Daddy where we did not receive any of their notifications that our domain name was about to expire until it was already too late.
We see that you recently purchased the domain name --------------------. Since our company emails and information is already set up with that domain we would really like to continue to use it instead of having to start over entirely with a new address. I am willing to purchase for a reasonable price the domain. We would like to discuss getting our domain back, as our entire business is tied to it. Your consideration is most appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,)

So, I have asked $4,500 for it.
Do you think guys it is a reasonable price?
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
An impossible question to answer without knowing the domain.

•••
Without domain near impossible to tell! Bare in mind size of the company, how many other offers you may get and if perhaps (company depending) if they could offer you anything else as well as cash.

•••
Knowing the type of domain helps understand if it is reasonable or not

•••
It is not possible at all to post the domain name now.

•••
Host the name, and see if you are receiving emails. If not, then they are telling you porkies.

•••
•••
You can describe the domain in a similar way
Two word
Brandable/or not
Geo based
Number of letters

•••
LOL $4500 not going to be reasonable to them. Reasonable going to be low xxx (even without knowing the domain) Good luck

•••
I think that would be fine. I mean what are your options? If you believe their story, then it's a fair price. If you end up with a U*RP, and they can prove it, they would probably get it back.

Best of luck! $4500 is not a bad day's work!

•••
•••
Obviously somebody screwed up to let the domain drop. At the end of the day if nobody screwed up the management is always responsible. And the management can write and sign the check. So I see no problem with 4k+ :xf.smile:

•••
Check out archives.org
If any website is present, price it based on
their services/product pricing, the website professionality and other similar factors

•••
Check out archives.org
If any website is present, price it based on
their services/product pricing, the website professionality and other similar factors
It is based on photography business.

•••
LOL $4500 not going to be reasonable to them. Reasonable going to be low xxx (even without knowing the domain) Good luck

Thinking the same.

•••
I had this situation several months ago. Acquired a nice brandable domain at the GD closeouts. I was contacted by a previous user of it. He proved me the ownership and actual need of it for his business emails. I requested low XXX USD and he paypalled me the sum. I think that was a fair deal for both of us (including minor compensation for me and following my basic moral principles).

•••
We would like to discuss getting our domain back, as our entire business is tied to it. Your consideration is most appreciated.

So, I have asked $4,500 for it.
Do you think guys it is a reasonable price?
If their entire business depends on this domain you totally give them a reasonable price.

•••
How big is the company?
Small $500
Medium $5,000
Big $50,000.

•••
•••
•••
I think you need to take the company size and potetnial revenue they are generating into consideration..

I mean if it's a 1 man photographic studio and he turns over $5000pm with $2000 being net proffit...then $4500 is going to be a problem......if they are a large company turning over 6 or 7 figures then sure.. $4500 is more than reasonable.

•••
How big is the company?
Small $500
Medium $5,000
Big $50,000.

That's what I was going to say except 50k was going to be 25k for a quick turnover.

•••
Really I don't know

You need to find out who you are dealing with, don't be afraid to ask questions, information is your friend. They want the domain so you need to qualify them.

•••
Are you past the clawback window?

photography business pretty much answers the small medium big question. For $4500 can get a lot of business cards printed, website made etc.

The large amount might make them give their best counter offer upfront.

•••
1) they tell the truth

my first thought was $488 USD

so we are not far off
just factor 10
let s negotiate ;)

-- assuming you got the domain for reg fee

2) they lie

then you are perfectly reasonable
with $4500 USD

if its a medium or small business - add a zero for a large company

-

check http://www.screenshots.com/ and archive org
to verify
if they tell the truth

and yes check that email
if they really receive emails

how about renting if $4500 is to much?
"if its not worth $200 USD / month why do you bother me?"

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back