Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

.mobi Is .MOBI really dead?

SpaceshipSpaceship
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
40
Hi,

I just reg'ed a couple of .COMs, and a friend suggested I get the .MOBI extension for the names to since it is also applicable for cell phones, etc...

But I'm thinking it's a waste of money and little use to me from the standpoint of making any profits in any form whatsoever, ever and even of little or no use to end users.

Is there any data to support or refute this bias I've developed based on hearsay over the past few months?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I challenge anyone who can find a better search portal that happens in seconds that works on every phone and PC! :wave:

Just say your name is (John Dombrowski) traveliing on a business trip from New york to Denver or any other city. (mainly they carry smartphones/iphones) But any cell phone will work.

Now you want to find a taxi from the airport to your hotel, or you want to find a restaruant/Bar or anything else. Just type in city/state and what you are searching for, for example Pizza or Taxi or hotel. The results come up in seconds, because it was designed to be mobile user friendly.

Go to mobiz.mobi Please tell me what else can do that in the USA (for now till it grows) with any mobile device. Even if your traveling your own city, you may find other spots.

Now Kate tell me how long would the process take on your mini laptop that fits in your purse along with your cell phones.

I just built this site up aswell n-j.mobi It is an entire search portal for the state of New Jersey and will be much more soon. The intent I have with this is mainly for people at the "Jerzey shore" to find what they are looking for, no one brings laptops to the beach nor has real internet connection in there rental house. And the majority of beach go'ers in New Jersey are rentors so they only rely on the yellow pages (and flyers from there realtors) for dinning, entertainment bars ect..., But I am fixing that and marketing this site so that people can just go to n-j.mobi and find exactly what they are looking for, wheather its golf, Casinos, boat trips ect....

But please let me know if anyother site can do this and on any mobile phone?

.
 
0
•••
mo_dork said:
We have 1Billion web users worldwide, we have 4Billion mobile phones right now. The number of these phones that will be web enabled will increase substantially over the next few years. Eventually the mobile web will be multiple times larger than the pc web.

Also there is 10 billion fridges, and 30 billion tv's. Unfortunately not many people who own fridges or tv's are really that interested in surfing the web on them.

Not that I think lots of people won't surf the internet on their phone but I really have no idea of what extent it will be to, and the mobile phone stats that MTLD keeps trotting out means very little when those users don't actually use the device for that purpose.

No idea when and if and when mobile phone browsing will overtake pc's, one thing I do know though is things generally take a lot longer than what most domainers expect.

thebiffenator said:
I challenge anyone who can find a better search portal that happens in seconds that works on every phone and PC! :wave:

.....................

Go to mobiz.mobi Please tell me what else can do that in the USA (for now till it grows) with any mobile device. Even if your traveling your own city, you may find other spots.

I challenge someone to spam the forum in a more creative way than this.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
I challenge someone to spam the forum in a more creative way than this.

It is not spam buddy it is facts! We are talking about traffic and the argument .mobi is not necessary and dead.

It is not spam at anyway but only an examle of what a .mobi can do and the need for it! :wave:

Some people reading this thread get bad vibes off the bat. This is a .mobi discussion snoop and positive for .mobi!
 
0
•••
I challenge anyone who can find a better search portal that happens in seconds that works on every phone and PC!

Challenge accepted. m.google.com

Now you want to find a taxi from the airport to your hotel, or you want to find a restaruant/Bar or anything else. Just type in city/state and what you are searching for, for example Pizza or Taxi or hotel. The results come up in seconds, because it was designed to be mobile user friendly.

My G1 phone has Google Maps built in. I open it up, it does a scan for my location, I search pizza and bingo I get results. Never even use a url typed in and Google doesn't bring me to any mobi domains. Blackberry's and other smart phone have similar functionality. Since December when I got my G1 I have yet to find a useful mobi that I would bookmark. Normally I am using an application or searching and use whatever results I get from Google.

Mobi isn't what it was advertised as. There is no "mobile internet" just the internet being used by people on mobile devices. Mobi or not people aren't doing real full internet use via their browser. It's just imho something to occupy your time a bit and check your favorite sites.

For the mobi crowd...what's a mobi site you visit frequently and find extremely useful?
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
Challenge accepted. m.google.com



My G1 phone has Google Maps built in. I open it up, it does a scan for my location, I search pizza and bingo I get results. Never even use a url typed in and Google doesn't bring me to any mobi domains. Blackberry's and other smart phone have similar functionality. Since December when I got my G1 I have yet to find a useful mobi that I would bookmark. Normally I am using an application or searching and use whatever results I get from Google.

Mobi isn't what it was advertised as. There is no "mobile internet" just the internet being used by people on mobile devices. Mobi or not people aren't doing real full internet use via their browser. It's just imho something to occupy your time a bit and check your favorite sites.

For the mobi crowd...what's a mobi site you visit frequently and find extremely useful?

Thats nice, but everyone doesnt have a G1. I wil check m.google.com on my standard cell phone though after I eat dinner and let you know how many steps it took with out an app. I got verizon and verizon does not carry the google phoen nor iphone.
 
0
•••
now that labrocca is a mod... does this mean i get to say whatever i want since im on his ignore list? :tu:
 
0
•••
snoop said:
So if you know all about timing the market and buying when things are cheap how come you joined this site right at the peak of the .mobi boom in 2007 and started bidding on lots of LLL.mobi's?

I also was around and got names at landrush and from other locations. I made a few mistakes too, like most of us. But I am not saying I have perfect timing. I wasn't referring to myself. I think it is possible to make shrewd investments related to the mobile web, right now, last year, this year, next year. Its still very early to get cheap names and build killer mobile sites.

Regarding a lot of the other posts about how many people will or will not be be surfing the web from their phones. There is SO much info out there on this, here is one article-

http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...net-understand-mobile-of-4-billion-users.html
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
For the mobi crowd...what's a mobi site you visit frequently and find extremely useful?

wapedia.mobi
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
Mobi isn't what it was advertised as. There is no "mobile internet" just the internet being used by people on mobile devices.

Weather.mobi

And lots of others. I don't even remember, I often key in the mobi version of a .com site to see if it works, sometimes I get lucky. There are plenty, such that I don't really remember, its not a big deal anymore. Just looked through my blackberry's history. I was at treehugger.mobi yesterday, fandango.mobi, a couple of days ago and ofcourse mobility.mobi.
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
For the mobi crowd...what's a mobi site you visit frequently and find extremely useful?

People here in Spain seem to find the renfe.mobi site useful.
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
Challenge accepted. m.google.com



My G1 phone has Google Maps built in. I open it up, it does a scan for my location, I search pizza and bingo I get results. Never even use a url typed in and Google doesn't bring me to any mobi domains. Blackberry's and other smart phone have similar functionality. Since December when I got my G1 I have yet to find a useful mobi that I would bookmark. Normally I am using an application or searching and use whatever results I get from Google.

Mobi isn't what it was advertised as. There is no "mobile internet" just the internet being used by people on mobile devices. Mobi or not people aren't doing real full internet use via their browser. It's just imho something to occupy your time a bit and check your favorite sites.

For the mobi crowd...what's a mobi site you visit frequently and find extremely useful?

I just checked out m.google.com and mobiz.mobi to search for pizza in Denver on a 1 and 1/2 year old phone. There basicly the same for search due to API. But i found Mobiz easier and much quciker to find a business in the area. Plus I was able to use the mile radius and zip for more detailed search. Now I didnt have the app that you have, my phone won't alow me to get it.. But don't get me wrong Google is one of the top and by no means Iam I comparing to there search, but stressing the simplicity of a .mobi site app.

Mobiz is to the point, very clean and simple. It only askes 3 things and you can adjust the mile radius and it shows up in clear black and white with basicly the same features, click to call and map it with out downloading anything at all.
 
0
•••
I got verizon and verizon does not carry the google phoen nor iphone.

Verizon has the blackberry's which come with a similar feature. What's more likely? That phones will continue to evolve and incorporate more applications? Or that people will be more exposed to mobi and accept the more compact sites as normal.

The rate of people exchanging their phones is very high. Most plans allow you to get a new phone after just 1 or 2 years. I got my G1 for $100 by extending my plan 2 years. Verizon is offering the Blackberry Pearl for FREE. In 3 years everyone will have smart phones with smart applications making mobi even more usless than it is today.

People here in Spain seem to find the renfe.mobi site useful.
http://alexa.com/siteinfo/renfe.mobi
Ugh...never heard of it. Is that by chance your own site?

now that labrocca is a mod... does this mean i get to say whatever i want since im on his ignore list?

I have removed everyone from my ignore list so I can properly do my moderator duties in the Auction area. You can still say whatever you want but now you get the benefit of my replies. It's been a peaceful time with many on my ignore list but alas duty calls.
 
0
•••
0
•••
labrocca said:
Verizon has the blackberry's which come with a similar feature. What's more likely? That phones will continue to evolve and incorporate more applications? Or that people will be more exposed to mobi and accept the more compact sites as normal. QUOTE]

To tell you the truth I forgot to mention this, but with iwantinfo.mobi here are the browsers/OPS that use the site.

Most of the hits came from the US since last week 56,591, 2nd place with hits is india at 6,000 this week.

Operating systems:

35.35% Macintosh
24.6% Unknown (which means cell phones)
17.6% Windows
15.8% sony play station portable
5.4% Symbion
0.9% Linux

Browsers

Safari 40.1%
Netscape 16.5%
IE 13.9%
Opera 7.1%
Unknonw 5.4%
Nokia 5%
Sony Errickson 2.5%

The rest are under 2%

But it does go to show that the iPhone and .mobi mix well from the stats of iwantinfo, they seem to keep going to it.
 
0
•••
labrocca said:
I have removed everyone from my ignore list so I can properly do my moderator duties in the Auction area. You can still say whatever you want but now you get the benefit of my replies. It's been a peaceful time with many on my ignore list but alas duty calls.


<edit>

okay just read the reply... how ya been the last 3 years?

i missed you and would like to hold hands now if i may.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Pred said:
well to answer the original post
i have to say firstly im always dubious of the sincerity of a post with a title like this as it always attracts the trolls

anyway. you have just regged some coms.
well im guessing if you handregged thenm they arent earthshattering and i doubt any enduser will buy. so no point regging the mobis either

if however you plan to develop them , or one, wait and see if its a mild success and then you could reg a .mobi, beauty is you could free get the content on the .com mobilized for free by the rgistrar and instant mobilizer.
a damn site easier paying $7 and branding up a mobile site for that price. course you dont have to you can go for a m. if you're more technically minded and sort your end

but theres a lot of ifs and buts. the .coms are unlikely to be much cop and theyre not even devloped, so dont reg any

as far as is it dead. far from it, you can believe the rhetoric from the resident trolls or do research.

companies are using more and more, not cos technically they have to, although does offer a guarantee, but its also about branding.

a few sites people came across past couple days

http://www.europapress.es/
http://europapress.mobi/

big news agency in spain

www.promogranprisma.mobi

another johnson and johnson site

http://wbul.mobi/home

florida student union radio

http://onetribe.mobi/sites/controller.php/OneTribe/

another vodafone site


etc

a lot of companies are bringing out loads of niche sites and satellite sites.
theres a lot a foot, a few people posting here would do well to take their head out their ass and stop cut and pasting stuff from 2 years ago. and yes my portfolio is 80% .com & .co.uk so i'm no noob just into mobi. and i dont jump into aisa or tel or .us etc

this mobi thing is gonna prove a lot of people wrong , im brave (or stupid enough) to speak out loud about it too.
as far as setting dates, only fools do that. all i know is i see progress every day

post your domains here btw out of interest (o/p)

Well thanks for all the great info. In another post I suggested they change the extension name to .CELL and it would be HOT.

Anyway, no offense. My post was sincere. I have a .COM that will be running an app that suits itself remarkably well to mobile clients as part of the service. However, I'm not sure what advantage .MOBI would provide me that I can't get from .COM since iPhones and most of the newer phones have browsers and utilities that can find any URL and the .COM site can recognize requests from a cellphone and present differently.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war. I guess it's par for the course and I should have known better, but when I posted it, I thought I'd pretty much get a consensus opinion. It was a newbie-ish question. I'm not a total newbie in all of this but still a lot to learn.

Thanks for your in-depth, thoughtful reply.
 
0
•••
ya.... .CELL man

hit me up in my jail.cell
 
0
•••
thebiffenator said:
I challenge anyone who can find a better search portal that happens in seconds that works on every phone and PC! :wave:

Just say your name is (John Dombrowski) traveliing on a business trip from New york to Denver or any other city. (mainly they carry smartphones/iphones) But any cell phone will work.

Now you want to find a taxi from the airport to your hotel, or you want to find a restaruant/Bar or anything else. Just type in city/state and what you are searching for, for example Pizza or Taxi or hotel. The results come up in seconds, because it was designed to be mobile user friendly.

Go to mobiz.mobi Please tell me what else can do that in the USA (for now till it grows) with any mobile device. Even if your traveling your own city, you may find other spots.

Now Kate tell me how long would the process take on your mini laptop that fits in your purse along with your cell phones.

I just built this site up aswell n-j.mobi It is an entire search portal for the state of New Jersey and will be much more soon. The intent I have with this is mainly for people at the "Jerzey shore" to find what they are looking for, no one brings laptops to the beach nor has real internet connection in there rental house. And the majority of beach go'ers in New Jersey are rentors so they only rely on the yellow pages (and flyers from there realtors) for dinning, entertainment bars ect..., But I am fixing that and marketing this site so that people can just go to n-j.mobi and find exactly what they are looking for, wheather its golf, Casinos, boat trips ect....

But please let me know if anyother site can do this and on any mobile phone?

.

That's a very nice site. But what I'm wondering is what can you do with mobi that you can't do with a .COM that renders content differently for different media types? I mean if you were mobiz.com couldn't you be "all that and more", and adjust your content to the client.
 
0
•••
sky said:
That's a very nice site. But what I'm wondering is what can you do with mobi that you can't do with a .COM that renders content differently for different media types? I mean if you were mobiz.com couldn't you be "all that and more", and adjust your content to the client.

Thanks for the replay Sky

Right now with the mobile web to make it work for every enduser, we must be carefull. Not everyone has the capabilities of the new phone and even if they do, it still works better on the new phone.

I can't say much since things are under development, but I can tell you this.... The site is focused for people on the go with a short time to check the site, with many more features to come. Nationwide (which mobiz is made up of is basicly a beta version) It will be last but for now we are concetrating state by state. N-J how ever I am focusing on localized advertisment sinc I live in the area and know how the state works for vacation and will try to monitize for it (I lived prettymuch evry summer in the Jersey shore).

No business/innvestment or anything is peferect unless you put your time time in to develope/market it.

Now for what you can do that a .com can't do IMHO is develope it and index it in the mobile search engines for the future. I do believe changes are happening in mobile search and with a .mobi your chances are better of getting it hit on a mobile device.

I was one of the first people to have live mobile sites and I just watch the bars grow and grow. It is really neat. But what ever happens M. Wap. DotMObi or whaterver, there is no denying the fact that the Mobile web is here and here to stay. I get crapped on by my family for spending to much time with this.

It's happening folks.....

The whole plan is simplicity
 
0
•••
thebiffenator said:
Thanks for the replay Sky

Right now with the mobile web to make it work for every enduser, we must be carefull. Not everyone has the capabilities of the new phone and even if they do, it still works better on the new phone.

I can't say much since things are under development, but I can tell you this.... The site is focused for people on the go with a short time to check the site, with many more features to come. Nationwide (which mobiz is made up of is basicly a beta version) It will be last but for now we are concetrating state by state. N-J how ever I am focusing on localized advertisment sinc I live in the area and know how the state works for vacation and will try to monitize for it (I lived prettymuch evry summer in the Jersey shore).

No business/innvestment or anything is peferect unless you put your time time in to develope/market it.

Now for what you can do that a .com can't do IMHO is develope it and index it in the mobile search engines for the future. I do believe changes are happening in mobile search and with a .mobi your chances are better of getting it hit on a mobile device.

I was one of the first people to have live mobile sites and I just watch the bars grow and grow. It is really neat. But what ever happens M. Wap. DotMObi or whaterver, there is no denying the fact that the Mobile web is here and here to stay. I get crapped on by my family for spending to much time with this.

It's happening folks.....

The whole plan is simplicity

Maybe I'll hedge my bets and as my .COM gets more under way I'll get the client side .MOBI as an alternative option and see what happens. Thanks!
 
0
•••
Appraise.net

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back