.mobi Is .MOBI really dead?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
Spacemail by SpaceshipSpacemail by Spaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
40
Hi,

I just reg'ed a couple of .COMs, and a friend suggested I get the .MOBI extension for the names to since it is also applicable for cell phones, etc...

But I'm thinking it's a waste of money and little use to me from the standpoint of making any profits in any form whatsoever, ever and even of little or no use to end users.

Is there any data to support or refute this bias I've developed based on hearsay over the past few months?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
0
•••
0
•••
snoop said:
I think you need to appreciate just how popular an extension needs to be before people will start type in names in any significant way. Even .net which has been around a long time and is widely known tends to get low type in flow on even the best names. Something like .mobi just isn't on the radar of people naturally typing in names. Think bot traffic and typos on some rare cases only.

well this is where it takes some foresight and why the defined purpose and restrictions of .mobi is so important.

as opposed to simply typing in anything.net just to see what's there (and honestly having no idea what's going to populate), typing in anything.mobi means the user is looking for a very specific type of site (one specially designed for those on the go).
 
0
•••
namewaiter said:
well this is where it takes some foresight and why the defined purpose and restrictions of .mobi is so important.

as opposed to simply typing in anything.net just to see what's there (and honestly having no idea what's going to populate), typing in anything.mobi means the user is looking for a very specific type of site (one specially designed for those on the go).

Foresight in what way? I don't follow you at all, people aren't typing in anything.mobi in any meaningful way, this is a debate about nothing in my view.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
Foresight in what way? I don't follow you at all, people aren't typing in anything.mobi in any meaningful way, this is a debate about nothing in my view.

foresight as in accepting the idea that the mobile web may become something all unto itself, and .mobi might have something to do with it.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
this is a debate about nothing in my view.

It kind of is a debate about nothing, as there are some people here who are very informed about the world of domaining, debating with people very informed about the world of mobility.

namewaiter said:
foresight as in accepting the idea that the mobile web may become something all unto itself, and .mobi might have something to do with it.

Somewhat unto itself. But the mobile web is also just a massive expansion of the current web with new services and businesses. All requiring new domains. If I can't get a dot com, and infact I don't want one, too expensive etc, then hey there is .mobi and its perfectly suited. If mobi becomes universally recognized as a relavent mobile website, then it will compete directly with .com. Meaning it will be the #2 TLD in the world in due course. Buying a generic name in the #2 TLD in a massively expanded market than the current web is worth the risk.
 
Last edited:
1
•••
snoop said:
Foresight in what way? I don't follow you at all, people aren't typing in anything.mobi in any meaningful way, this is a debate about nothing in my view.

I beg to differ. I'm typing in Fidelity.mobi several times a day to trade. Fidelity has plenty of customers like me. Fidelity tracks every account transfer and trade and knows how they were done. My account rep at Fidelity knows about .mobi, and probably so do the rest of her clients.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
0
•••
mo_dork said:
If mobi becomes universally recognized as a relavent mobile website, then it will compete directly with .com. Meaning it will be the #2 TLD in the world in due course. Buying a generic name in the #2 TLD in a massively expanded market than the current web is worth the risk.

That is a massive "if", especially since the tide is going the other way. Maybe 18 months ago the above looked like a possiblilty, before the backers made their initentions not to use the extension clear etc. I think realistically the best people can hope for is that this becomes an alt tld for people looking at estbalishing a mobile site.

HeyNow said:
I beg to differ. I'm typing in Fidelity.mobi several times a day to trade. Fidelity has plenty of customers like me. Fidelity tracks every account transfer and trade and knows how they were done. My account rep at Fidelity knows about .mobi, and probably so do the rest of her clients.

You're a real pisser snoop! Your predictable, venom-spewing vitriol is not accurate, and it's too bad you're such a miserable person you feel the need to BS others whom are enthusiastic about something.

This isn't natural type in traffic, it is people typing in a site that already know of, ie the site has been advertised.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
That is a massive "if", especially since the tide is going the other way. Maybe 18 months ago the above looked like a possiblilty, before the backers made their initentions not to use the extension clear etc. I think realistically the best people can hope for is that this becomes an alt tld for people looking at estbalishing a mobile site.



This isn't natural type in traffic, it is people typing in a site that already know of, ie the site has been advertised.
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I think "mobi" sounds clumsy or a bit goofy. I don't think most people would have a natural affinity for it as much as for other extensions. I also think the 4th character is a liability that would only help if it was a really desirable term in and of itself.

For example .LOVE, hot, .ZNTQ, not hot.

I could be wrong, but that could be part of the subtle factor behind .MOBI's failure to really take off. I think .CELL would have been vastly better than .MOBI. I realize that .MOBI is designed for mobile devices in general, but that nerdish distinction is quickly lost.

I bet if the .MOBI TLD announced it was changing the TLD to .CELL and taking all existing registrants with it, there would suddenly be a lot of VERY happy .MOBI owners and that TLD could be on it's way to taking off. Just a hunch.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
That is a massive "if", especially since the tide is going the other way.

Its not though. Its moving in the right direction.

How are you judging, by the pathetic resale prices? This is a bad indicator IMO, end users are always behind the curve a little, domainers are too focused on domaining. You have to look beyond this and study the underlying stats of the mobile market and then crunch the number on new mobile business ventures. You have to see the trends in many regions and know that the .com owning western markets are not necessarily where the growth will come from. You also have to have a long term view. But you can aswell look at the RSS feeds on mobility and see everyday huge corporations adopting .mobi. The headlines are not, kodak launches .net site of microsoft launches .tel site. its that they are launching .mobi sites. Nokia has many such sites, MS also many.
This is literally the tip of the iceberg- http://why.mobi/brands.php

I asked the question yesterday, do you agree that the primary way to access the web will be via mobile phones in 5 years?

sky said:
From a purely aesthetic point of view, I think "mobi" sounds clumsy or a bit goofy. I don't think most people would have a natural affinity for it as much as for other extensions. I also think the 4th character is a liability that would only help if it was a really desirable term in and of itself.

For example .LOVE, hot, .ZNTQ, not hot.

I could be wrong, but that could be part of the subtle factor behind .MOBI's failure to really take off. I think .CELL would have been vastly better than .MOBI. I realize that .MOBI is designed for mobile devices in general, but that nerdish distinction is quickly lost.

I bet if the .MOBI TLD announced it was changing the TLD to .CELL and taking all existing registrants with it, there would suddenly be a lot of VERY happy .MOBI owners and that TLD could be on it's way to taking off. Just a hunch.


The 4th character is fine. If you can write an email on a phone, you can write a 4th character. remember the trend is towards smart phones, we will all have one in due course.

'Cell' is a very US centric word, not international at all!
Also Cell relates to a mobile phone, doesn't necessarily include all mobile devices. Phones are more than phones these days. I am sure the term mobi has been thoroughly thought through and analyzed in many languages. I have heard in certain European languages it sounds very appealing.
 
0
•••
sky said:
I bet if the .MOBI TLD announced it was changing the TLD to .CELL and taking all existing registrants with it, there would suddenly be a lot of VERY happy .MOBI owners and that TLD could be on it's way to taking off. Just a hunch.

I don't think so personally. "Cell" is a very US centric term also, I don't think it means much for probably half the world.

mo_dork said:
How are you judging, by the pathetic resale prices? This is a bad indicator IMO, end users are always behind the curve a little, domainers are too focused on domaining. You have to look beyond this and study the underlying stats of the mobile market and then crunch the number on new mobile business ventures.

It is a bit like saying stock prices are a bad indication of the value of a company. At the end of the day those prices are low because domainers like you and me think things have changed for this extension. You can look at all the stats you like but current prices simply reflect how people see things. Maybe the market is wrong and you are right...I don't see it personally.

mo_dork said:
But you can aswell look at the RSS feeds on mobility and see everyday huge corporations adopting .mobi. The headlines are not, kodak launches .net site of microsoft launches .tel site. its that they are launching .mobi sites. Nokia has many such sites, MS also many.
This is literally the tip of the iceberg- http://why.mobi/brands.php

To be honest I haven't seen any evidence of this. The big players are using sub domains, google, yahoo, youtube, facebook. Go through the largest 10 sites on the web and none are using .mobi, all are using sub domains.

The examples of sites using .mobi are sites of near no importance, foxnews, bank of america, purina etc.

mo_dork said:
I asked the question yesterday, do you agree that the primary way to access the web will be via mobile phones in 5 years?

No idea.
 
0
•••
sky said:
I could be wrong, but that could be part of the subtle factor behind .MOBI's failure to really take off. I think .CELL would have been vastly better than .MOBI. I realize that .MOBI is designed for mobile devices in general, but that nerdish distinction is quickly lost.

I bet if the .MOBI TLD announced it was changing the TLD to .CELL and taking all existing registrants with it, there would suddenly be a lot of VERY happy .MOBI owners and that TLD could be on it's way to taking off. Just a hunch.


.CELL? dude, no offense but how old are you? this is like Jeff saying .TEL is "highly brandable"... who calls it a telephone nowadays? same with "cellphone" or "cellular phone"... those terms will die off eventually and was never even really that popular in any other parts of the world besides usa..

i thought .mobi sounded a bit funny at first too but it turns out the word is even being used by mobile-focused companies all over the world that dont even necessarily own or know about the .mobi domain. apparently mTLD (the registry) did some extensive research on this issue and determined .mobi would be the best fit.. and considering the other options i will have to agree.
 
0
•••
I agree with comments made from both sides of the table. And I, for one - although I don't agree completely with all his posts -think snoop is spot on a lot of the time (thanks for that).

Here are some of my thoughts for ya'll to chew on.

- The majority of .mobi's I see around here and regged in general are, and always will be, crap... of course there is a possibility that some day perhaps end users will come along for a few of them... but most are just $$ down the drain.

- I'd say that easily half (ok, more than half) of all .mobi's regged are worth nothing or next to nothing.

- I can't imagine 'normal' people blindly typing in .mobi's at this point. Someday maybe... maybe not. It's not uncommon for some of my .mobi's to get, say, 60 views a month at Sedo. But I don't believe that much of it is real, 'natural' traffic. Bots, maybe. Domainers, maybe. But I can't believe that it's 'normal' people for the most part. There is no reason for people to randomly type in .mobi's.... they would definitely strike out way more often than not, so why would they form that habit?

- I believe that as long as the mobile web is around, so will .mobi. Some companies/websites will use it, others won't. There will never be a sole 'standard'.

- There is definitely money to be made, if you know what you're doing. I know of a couple members here who have found a very profitable development niche that makes them $$$$/month. I've made some decent money with .mobi (yes, even recently) just by making wise investments in a down economy. But I am also a DEVELOPER, and I only buy domains that I have plans for... so in most cases I don't even expect just the domains themselves to make me much of any money. Helps keep my head out of the clouds... I wish more people would follow my example, but I could say the same thing about any extension. And at the end of the day it's their money, not mine.

- Many people will lose a good deal of money on .mobi because of making not-so-wise investment choices. .Mobi will not compete with .com; it's just another alternative choice extension. Some generics will hold value, and yes, development will be a key part of making a profit with .mobi... but, most domainers never really get around to developing much of anything, so........

- The majority of companies that supposedly "use .mobi" really are doing nothing more than protecting their brand. All these alleged ".mobi investors/backers/supporters" mean nothing to me unless they're ACTUALLY promoting their .mobi. Think Fox News, Disney (promotes .mobi on TV), Zagat, BofA, etc. I don't give a crap if they redirect or not, because 'normal' people don't care or even notice. All they pay attention to is what they're told to visit.
 
0
•••
Agree with with your points Egnited, good post.
 
0
•••
snoop said:
It is a bit like saying stock prices are a bad indication of the value of a company.

It definitely can be. Like right now, prices are really low, so all companies are bad... or maybe good time to buy?

In the tech sector you get a lot of bubbles in specific hot industries. Sectors can be worthless and then become hot. Do you buy after the price goes up or before?
 
0
•••
Oh and another thing...

For .mobi to really take off, we would need to see a good number of TOP sites actually seriously PROMOTING .mobi's as their mobile sites.

Google.com
Yahoo.com
YouTube.com
Facebook.com
Live.com
MSN.com
WikiPedia.org
Blogger.com
MySpace.com
Baidu.com
WordPress.com
QQ.com
Microsoft.com

These are all Top 20 sites according to Alexa.

Only a couple of them even resolve to a relevant page. None of them are being promoted in any way.

And, personally, I'd be surprised if any of them are ever promoted. I hope I'm wrong, but realistically I don't see it happening. Maybe one or two... but as I said I would be surprised at even that.



------


All that said..... do I believe .mobi to be worth investing in? YES, if you know what you're doing, and make wise choices. If you're strictly a domainer - especially one without much domaining experience.... I say be careful. There are definitely some good .mobi's out there that have value and may even be great buys in this economy!... BUT there is also a ton of crap.


------

OH, and don't get me wrong:

I think .mobi is great for companies to use to advertise their mobile site.

It just makes a lot of sense to me as a marketing enthusiast.

The question is.... how many will actually do it?




?
 
Last edited:
0
•••
mo_dork said:
It definitely can be. Like right now, prices are really low, so all companies are bad... or maybe good time to buy?

Generally though the best indication of value is what the company trades at. You might argue prices now are really low, just as many others probably think they are too high and that it is a great time to sell.

mo_dork said:
In the tech sector you get a lot of bubbles in specific hot industries. Sectors can be worthless and then become hot. Do you buy after the price goes up or before?

Unless you are holding a crystal ball it is simplistic to say people should buy before the price goes up, just like it is meaningless to say sell before the price goes down. Some things go up, some things go down, some things go no where.
 
0
•••
Egnited said:
Oh and another thing...

For .mobi to really take off, we would need to see a good number of TOP sites actually seriously PROMOTING .mobi's as their mobile sites.

Google.com
Yahoo.com
YouTube.com
Facebook.com
Live.com
MSN.com
WikiPedia.org
Blogger.com
MySpace.com
Baidu.com
WordPress.com
QQ.com
Microsoft.com

These are all Top 20 sites according to Alexa.

Only a couple of them even resolve to a relevant page. None of them are being promoted in any way.

And, personally, I'd be surprised if any of them are ever promoted. I hope I'm wrong, but realistically I don't see it happening. Maybe one or two... but as I said I would be surprised at even that.

Would serious .mobi promotion by these companies help .mobi? Absolutely. But IMO what will make .mobi take off is mobile web entrepreneurs who build the next killer mobile web apps on .mobi domains. It's very much like iPhone apps, the people who are making that space explode are entrepreneurs, not major software corporations.
 
0
•••
scandiman said:
Would serious .mobi promotion by these companies help .mobi? Absolutely. But IMO what will make .mobi take off is mobile web entrepreneurs who build the next killer mobile web apps on .mobi domains. It's very much like iPhone apps, the people who are making that space explode are entrepreneurs, not major software corporations.
But is this happening? What mobile web entrepreneurs are actually using .mobi for their killer mobile web apps? Or do you see it as something [hopefully] yet to come?
 
0
•••
Egnited said:
But is this happening? What mobile web entrepreneurs are actually using .mobi for their killer mobile web apps? Or do you see it as something [hopefully] yet to come?

Yes, it is happening, but a lot more needs to come, and it is coming. For example a serious adult site with an affiliate program was recently launched that is going strong, a big mobile web dating site is currently in beta, and I'm personally involved in something that is going live soon as well in a different industry altogether. Each new player becomes a catalyst for others, the bar keeps being raised and .mobi grows in the process.
 
0
•••
DomainEasy: white label portfolios are live. Enable yours.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back