Dynadot

Is it possible to sell a reserved domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

maya-zir

Top Member
Impact
Hi, I want to ask something.
I have reserved a few very good domains with .insurance extension.
But I still dont know the future reg fee price.
Could I theoretically sell them to somebody if I see the reg fee price will be too high for me?
Not now, but when the day of release and reg fee price will be known.
Also have .cloud domain reserved and .phone.
Is it possible?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@kohsamui,
My question was if it is possible or not.
If it is possible to reg something you have reserved on your name to another account of the same registar.
I mean the process itself.

•••
@kohsamui,
If it is possible to reg something you have reserved on your name to another account of the same registar.
Nope! It's not possible is the final answer.

•••
I will try to explain again.
I dont know nothing at this moment.
I dont sell nothing at this moment.

But if the day of the extension release I see I really could reg the domain, but the price is too high, could I then to sell my reserve to somebody?

It is general question, I know maybe all these domains will be not aviable.
But I want to know if it is theoreticly possible to reg MY reserved domain on somebodies name?

•••
@kohsamui,

Not sure if I understand your question, but no, you can't do anything with a domain that you have pre-registered. If your provider call this "reserved" it is not really the truth.

I have reserved (read: pre-registered) more than 2000 new gTLDs and I've ended up with less than 10% of these.

•••
Ok, not possible, so not possible

•••
Yes, not possible. Unfortunately.

•••
Let me try to understand from the perspective of the OP , if what you mean is that IS it possible to turn over your reserve rights to a domain to another person before even the release? I am not sure and I think that is what you mean. But selling what you don't have is FRAUD cause at the end of the day you are SELLING what in reality you don't have.

If what you mean is the first scenario then maybe it it is possible. But then again, why would someone want to buy your reserved status right WHEN I can pre-order the same domain as you? Cause as we said, you are not GUARANTEED to have the domain.

I strongly suggest you dont try it (though I dont think there are domainers who doesnt know about this) because you will only get problems from it.

•••
There is a high probability that those domains are all ready reserved by others.

•••
No, my question was not to sell pre ordered domain.
I dont know if I really could reg these domains, maybe they will be not aviable at all for reg fee.
My question was if I really be sure I could reg these or one of these domains but the reg fee will too high for me, could I let to reg it somebody I could select?
I didnt ask if it was legal or not, I only wanted to know if it was possible to reg the domain on different owner name.
And I was surprise when somebody told it could be froud, so I tried to explain my point of view and I still dont see any froud.
Ok, it is impossible, but why froud?
I didnt mean sell them now to somebody.
I understand I dont have them.
But now I dont talk about these domains exactly.
So, why is froud if the buyer and the seller understand what they sell and buy?
Who cares whay sonebody sells to somebody if the both ot them are agreee?

•••
No, my question was not to sell pre ordered domain.
I dont know if I really could reg these domains, maybe they will be not aviable at all for reg fee.
My question was if I really be sure I could reg these or one of these domains but the reg fee will too high for me, could I let to reg it somebody I could select?
I didnt ask if it was legal or not, I only wanted to know if it was possible to reg the domain on different owner name.
And I was surprise when somebody told it could be froud, so I tried to explain my point of view and I still dont see any froud.
Ok, it is impossible, but why froud?
I didnt mean sell them now to somebody.
I understand I dont have them.
But now I dont talk about these domains exactly.
So, why is froud if the buyer and the seller understand what they sell and buy?
Who cares whay sonebody sells to somebody if the both ot them are agreee?

It is more clear now since you said if I could reg but in order for this scenario to happen you have to pay the money upfront but you dont want to spend the money since you dont know the cost and you cannot have a seller ready :)

•••
Yes, this was the point I was curiosity about.

•••
•••
You can sell anything that you find a buyer for. If you can figure out how to make the buyer feel comfortable with the uncertainty, then go for it.

•••
look at it this way, If I offered to buy those names right now, could you transfer the domain out to me? No! Because the names are not even registered yet! Therefore, how COULD you sell them?

•••
Am I the only one who thinks it is not a fraud.
OP does not want to sell domains. He clearly states that he only has them reserved.
Imagine there is a person who wants very much to buy domain X and has money enough but has missed reservation phase or domain X has been reserved at all possible websites, so he could not reserve it.
What's wrong if that person pays to OP for the right to try to buy domain X, even if there is a possibility not to get it.
I think if buyer knows exactly what pays for it is not a fraud.
The problem is to find a buyer who wants that domain and they have to be reserved everywhere already.

•••
Am I the only one who thinks it is not a fraud.
OP does not want to sell domains. He clearly states that he only has them reserved.
Imagine there is a person who wants very much to buy domain X and has money enough but has missed reservation phase or domain X has been reserved at all possible websites, so he could not reserve it.
What's wrong if that person pays to OP for the right to try to buy domain X, even if there is a possibility not to get it.
I think if buyer knows exactly what pays for it is not a fraud.
The problem is to find a buyer who wants that domain and they have to be reserved everywhere already.

I understood it but at first he did not say it like that so if there is a someone content with such deal then it will be ok.

•••
No, it is wrong.
You can sell something you have reserved.
I dont know about domains, but sell something reserved is not a froud.
But have to be something you sure you can garantee to have.
Domains and other things are not the same-thing...You can reserve or put on hold an item in a store and pay and pick it up during the allotted time. Domains are different because many people can reserve the same exact name...the name can go into a biding war and anyone could win it.

The fact is reserved doesn't mean own...It means you have a chance to own it. So how can you sell what you don't own?

I should reserve shop.online and get rich then.

•••
•••
Hi, I want to ask something.
I have reserved a few very good domains with .insurance extension.
But I still dont know the future reg fee price.
Could I theoretically sell them to somebody if I see the reg fee price will be too high for me?
Not now, but when the day of release and reg fee price will be known.
Also have .cloud domain reserved and .phone.
Is it possible?

First you have to know what you mean with 'I have reserved a few...'

I am sure your reservation is only a non binding 'reservation'.

You can choose between a non binding and a binding 'reservation'.

A binding 'reservation' is only possible if there is a price already - everything other is unlogically.
Why someone should reserving a domain name without knowing the price?

A non binding 'reservation' is possible if there is not yet a price.
After your registry informed you about the price, you can change your non binding 'reservation' into a binding 'reservation'.
If you think than, that the price is to high you can cancel your non binding 'reservation'..

So your question is a little bit paradox - you don't have to worry about selling domain names which you don't own yet and you will own it only if you decide to pay for them and you only have to pay for them if you decided to buy ('reserving' it while knowing the price already) them.

And, a 'reservation' isn't a guarantee to get the name at the end - it's nothing more than a try from your registrar getting the name for you at first when he is sending your order to the registry as soon as possible.
But, no secret, there are many registrars worldwide who try the same for other customers at the same time.
The rule is: first in = first out.
If you paid already for it it but don't get it at the end you get your money back.

•••
I have to correct myself:

In my post above I wrote:
'A binding 'reservation' is only possible if there is a price already - everything other is unlogically.
Why someone should reserving a domain name without knowing the price?'

But I meant:
'A binding 'reservation' is only possible if there is a price already - everything other is unlogically.
Why someone should make a binding 'reservation' for a domain name without knowing the price?
In addition, this is not possible in most cases because it's nonsense.'

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back