Domain Empire

discuss Is .IN taking off? Cycle.in sold for $16,500

Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I came across this sale of Cycle.in for $16,500 on Sedo.
That is a great price for a ccTLD.

I wonder if .IN is taking off slowly. I spoke to some of the biggest .IN investors at DomainX conference and they said that big things are going to happen in .IN and that it's going to be one of the most popular ccTLD in the coming time.

What are your views?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ananda, Azad - are brands...
I'm talking about generics...

Regarding SVT - I don't see any Indian enduser there... it is parked on Voodoo and for sale...
Its purchased by special vehicle technology making company.. They have not changed name servers, they will launch site when their product is ready... I was the seller, if you are not trusting I can email you the escrow Screenshot to you ... I have sold 10 names this year..none on sales reports..because I don't like to pay the unwanted sedo commission fees... Why to spend loads in commission fees when it can be handled outside??? ...Ananda.in and azad.in are not brands.. They are pure generic names..you can ask any of your Indian friends. They can confirm the same...

•••
•••
Regarding Sedo...
They can be used as Escrow only... in this case: 3% or min. $60

•••
•••
•••
California...
I have asked you about English-generics and buyers from India...
Oh ok...I have sold few at low xxxx.. Near.in is sold by an Indian to an Indian company....it's sold by a friend of mine... Approximately to mid xxxxx usd... Later near.in company acquired for multi million usd...

Also you are missing one important fact...companies outside also buy. IN names as they don't want to miss Indian market.. Almonds.in is a classic example.same way HPE.in is purchased by HP. Amz.in is purchased by Amazon...

•••
Endusers outside India now have a tons of alternatives...
So their demand on .in dropped significantly except defensive purchases...
I didn't miss anything. Quoted again and bolded.

•••
Then everything purchased by outside companies can be classified as defensive.... Why do they need almonds.in if they don't have business interests with that name..agency could have easily charged low xxxxx usd... Why anyone wasting xxxxx usd??

India is a huge country no one want to miss the market.. Pcs.in purchased by Pcs.co.uk.. It's a small company.. It's for much higher than almonds price. This year only... I can give hundreds of such examples... Only 17500 plus lll.in names are.possible...already 6% are in use...almost 5% in end users hands and un developed...

India itself has millions of businesses...world.wide companies want defensive purchases...how many lll.in are needed... How many premium keywords are required... Global ceos are must need to focus on India...the growing. Market...
Doesn't matter Defensive or non defensive purchase... We are hear to make profits...

•••
I just answered why foreigners are important... because the most profit is generated by them.
OK, that's all for me in this thread.

•••
I just answered why foreigners are important... because the most profit is generated by them.
OK, that's all for me in this thread.
Everyone is important.... Foreigners or Indian doesn't matter....as.long as there is a demand...that's good... Clearly the initial demand for after market purchases came from outside India..i have already agreed with you in previous posts but I strongly disagree that Indian companies doesn't pay or can't afford... This is where I am trying to correct you.. Also it's my opinion, very soon the demand will come from India...indian companies demand itself is more than enough...any other usage is a bonus... I am 1000% confident. IN is unstoppable and the profit making extension in coming years..

Last edited:
•••
The number of users is going up, the number of startups is going up, the economy is going up, the number of VCs and funds is going up, why do you think there will be a 'drop off' in .IN domain usage or prices?

That is your main mistake right there. IN is an English word, a pretty popular preposition in fact, which .cn isn't, so the only demand for .cn is local or companies looking to target China. .IN demand is global, 228 countries from what people have said, hardly symptomatic of a niche usage.
There is a difference between registration and usage. Are there endusers or investors for .in in 228 countries or simply that many registrations?

Just because in is an English word doesn't mean that has any real impact on registrations. It's not like .co which can mean company, why would anyone care about a short word, which is a preposition, after their keyword? Outside of a handful of hacks, I can't imagine anyone using that as a reason to invest.

•••
There is a difference between registration and usage. Are there endusers or investors for .in in 228 countries or simply that many registrations?

Just because in is an English word doesn't mean that has any real impact on registrations. It's not like .co which can mean company, why would anyone care about a short word, which is a preposition, after their keyword? Outside of a handful of hacks, I can't imagine anyone using that as a reason to invest.

If .CO can stand for company, .IN can stand for - “International”, “Inc”, “Internet”, “Insurance”, “Info”, “investment" among many others...

•••
If .CO can stand for company, .IN can stand for - “International”, “Inc”, “Internet”, “Insurance”, “Info”, “investment" among many others...
It can and is. Fortune 500 companies use co in their names I.e PepsiCo, Sysco, Costco, People's Insurance Co, Tesco, etc. I can't recall seeing those examples abbreviated with IN. Either way, companies prefer .com even with the opportunity for shorter names via ccTLDs

•••
I really really love all those that don't think .in will grow again and again, since they don't compete with me to invest :)

•••

Lol .co means company who told that? .co means colombia its a colombian cctld.. just .co registry branded that as .company .. if thats the case .IN can be branded as .Internet , .International , .Information , .Inc, .Incredible, .inspire, .india, .indepedendent , .investment , .insurance , .ink ...etc .Infinite branding opportunities .. also can use as a domain hack like Amazon.in/India, Amazon.in/China, Amazon.in/America like a domain hack.. berl.in another domain hack.. .IN has much branding potential and use cases than .co , more over its a cctld of the second largest most populous and as well as internet nation.. by 2022 worlds largest populous country. check the fundamentals..

•••
It can and is. Fortune 500 companies use co in their names I.e PepsiCo, Sysco, Costco, People's Insurance Co, Tesco, etc. I can't recall seeing those examples abbreviated with IN. Either way, companies prefer .com even with the opportunity for shorter names via ccTLDs
how many fortune 500 companies are using Inc in the end , the first one itself Wal-Mart Stores, Inc , Apple Inc .. what about companies like Lockheed Martin, Linked In (offcourse 733 rank)..

•••
how many fortune 500 companies are using Inc in the end , the first one itself Wal-Mart Stores, Inc , Apple Inc .. what about companies like Lockheed Martin, Linked In (offcourse 733 rank)..
notice you're saying inc, investment, insurance, and not just "in", so you're proving my point. If you want to stand by inc so much, there is a .inc extension, maybe that's the next big hit ;)

India has had over a billion people for decades now and .in is still behind many other ccTLDs. so now suddenly it will change? Everyone is saying .in is such a great investment NOW, why wasn't it 5 or 10 years ago when you could get premium keywords for a fraction of the price?

I'm going to start a thread "computers; are they the next big thing?" You're acting like I said I don't think .in is great, while I'm saying don't convince yourself it's suddenly great due to factors which have been in play for years.

•••
Ananda, Azad - are brands...
I'm talking about generics...

Regarding SVT - I don't see any Indian enduser there... it is parked on Voodoo and for sale...
Ananda - JOY in English
Azad - FREEDOM in English

Peoples are choosing Hindi words as brand names in India... As these are easy to spell-out for Indians
Many of the companies are using Hindi words...

Untill you entered in the .in market, can not judge the current situation...

I frequently rejecting low xxx offers on some of my two word .ins like buyersclub.in jobmania.in mtickets.in etc

•••
Anyways, let's come back to this thread in 2022. Will come to know whether .in has really taken off or slowed down
Ha ha...with a deal with sweet, i think we .in believers are ready for that challenge :-D

•••
2022 is too long...just revisit in 2020 January to conclude non believers are lost :)

Sure. I will visit in 2020 and will be happy if I am proven wrong. Till then, continue with ur hyping of .in domains.

•••
I guess my 5 examples of co being used as company in real, billion dollar, global companies slipped past you. Can't be a double standard if my examples are actually standard.

While I read the entire thread again, you can have a look at these statistics (from the World Bank) about how great india's economy is and how it translates directly to domain names;

GDP per capita: 1,498.87 USD (2013) World Bank
Internet users: 15.1% of the population (2013) World Bank

For comparison, here's china;

GDP per capita: 6,807.43 USD (2013) World Bank
Internet users: 45.8% of the population (2013) World Bank

And the US;

GDP per capita: 53,041.98 USD (2013) World Bank
Internet users: 84.2% of the population (2013) World Bank

In addition, the median per capita income in India is $616 USD, which is 99th out of 134 qualifying countries. If the median (not average) person has to spend 1% of their yearly income just to hand reg a .in, I'm going to assume that's not where the growth of .in is coming from. It's not the US where the average person can afford to dabble in domain investing, or China where everyone shares intrinsic meanings for certain patterned domain names, thus creating a demand. Just saying "emerging market" or "growing infrastructure" won't make .in "the best extension"
Try Comparing 2013 vs 2015 vs 2020 forecasts.. You will change your opinion..
One need to look at future while valuing past data.. fortune 500 companies are not constant...they change time to time on their performance ... One need to innovate and stay invested for future...same applicable in domaining

•••
Try Comparing 2013 vs 2015 vs 2020 forecasts.. You will change your opinion..
One need to look at future while valuing past data.. fortune 500 companies are not constant...they change time to time on their performance ... One need to innovate and stay invested for future...same applicable in domaining

Lol. Now your constant spamming regarding .in domains seems to have an ulterior motive. If you are happy, so be it, you can continue buying scores of .in domains. I will be happy if you are successful. But for me, investing in .in domain is a waste of time and effort.

Last edited:
•••
Sure. I will visit in 2020 and will be happy if I am proven wrong. Till then, continue with ur hyping of .in domains.
Friend, you are crossed line calling me hyping... What data you have to substantiate your claim? I am just sharing my experience, knowledge and opinions about future .. Hype is a bad word and I never want to associate with any pump and dump models...anyone associated in. IN know as. IN believer and I helped with my knowledge sharing with many... I have not sold any names to any resellers to make money....you can check wirh anyone associated with. In names.. Am I a seller to reseller.. Or I.purchase from resellers.?? I am a popular buyer than seller... You have your opinion and I have my opinion...everyone can share their opinion in public forum.. Accusing an individual in a public forum without any data proves your arrogance.. Check your attitude of treating others...

•••
Lol. Now your constant spamming regarding .in domains seems to have an ulterior motive. If you are happy, so be it, you can continue buying scores of .in domains. I will be happy if you are successful. But for me, investing in .in domain is a waste of time and effort.
Lol... You jumped on. IN thread and asking me to stay away from talking. IN names?? What's this called as.. You decide...

•••
Lol. Who has asked you to stop buying .in names. Please read carefully, I have written "you can continue buying scores of .in domains".

Personally for me, investing in .in is BIG WASTE OF EFFORT, TIME AND MONEY.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back