Domain Empire

Is GoDaddy's website down?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pick.pk

Account Closed
Impact
I have contacted my isp and they are saying that the godaddy website is having some problems...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Anonymous knocked out Escrow.com also. Godaddy trending number 2 on Twitter.

•••
Official GoDaddy statement on this at their support site, that surprisingly loads ok (while myaccount part of the site is down):
Network September 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM
We are aware of an issue affecting several services, including email, our website and some customer websites. We understand your frustration. We want you to know that our team is investigating the source of the issue and is working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

•••
Change ya acct pw once site is back up!!!

•••
Misleading title, they are experiencing a DDOS attack, it's not the same as being hacked.

"Twitter accounts claiming to be associated with The hacking group
Anonymous claimed responsibility for the attack"

Now I don't know if it were a hack attack or a specific DDOS attack. However, you can conduct a DDOS hack which will still be considered a hack attack in general.

•••
•••
News got around fast: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/09/10/5-reasons-you-should-leave-godaddy-and-how/

As much as I dislike some of GD's practises - I think this quite a poor article, especially as its on a reputable website like Forbes. I have hundreds of names at GD - I dislike many things about them, but (*un)fortunately they provide the cheapest registrations and renewals... so I keep my business there.

However, when it comes to hosting - I make an effort never to host and register names at the same place. Especially not with GD.

I hope no-one here is badly effected by this downtime on GoDaddy.

•••
•••
News got around fast: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/09/10/5-reasons-you-should-leave-godaddy-and-how/

As much as I dislike some of GD's practises - I think this quite a poor article, especially as its on a reputable website like Forbes. I have hundreds of names at GD - I dislike many things about them, but (*un)fortunately they provide the cheapest registrations and renewals... so I keep my business there.

However, when it comes to hosting - I make an effort never to host and register names at the same place. Especially not with GD.

I hope no-one here is badly effected by this downtime on GoDaddy.

Yeah, I read that. I think somebody at Forbes, said, go find me an intern, knock out an article real fast. Sloppy article, doesn't look like she was very familiar with what she was writing about.

--Godaddy is back up for me now. At least the home page. I clicked my sig and it's still not up yet.

•••
Now I don't know if it were a hack attack or a specific DDOS attack. However, you can conduct a DDOS hack which will still be considered a hack attack in general.
It appears it is a DDOS attack, launched against DNS servers more specifically.
Anybody can launch a DDOS attack, it doesn't take any talent. It will work best if you control a number of zombies though.
Penetrating a computer system is another story. While gd is unreachable it's not like their systems were breached. But maybe that is the next step, you never know :(

Everybody should use a third party DNS service to increase their resilience.

•••
From Godaddy's temp landing page:

We understand this is impacting some customers

'Some' is one hell of an understatement-word to substitute for 'ALL our millions of customers' :)

•••
that landing page looks like a pretty bad sign. I thought they were already about to fix it.

•••

That is an awful Forbes piece, just a pumper ad disguised as an objective article.

I admit that I have a love/hate relationship with Godaddy, but this attack could happen to any registrar, maybe even ICANN or the State Department. I just hope the major internet sites are on high alert.

I'm just afraid this attack is a precurser to a larger internet attack in the wings; the timing is just too coincidental.

I think GD was attacked because of its massive reach and its outage having the newsworthiness to garner some national attention, which it has (albeit not that much).

•••
•••
•••
•••

That is an awful Forbes piece, just a pumper ad disguised as an objective article.

I admit that I have a love/hate relationship with Godaddy, but this attack could happen to any registrar, maybe even ICANN or the State Department. I just hope the major internet sites are on high alert.

I'm just afraid this attack is a precurser to a larger internet attack in the wings; the timing is just too coincidental.

I think GD was attacked because of its massive reach and its outage having the newsworthiness to garner some national attention, which it has (albeit not that much).

I saw your last post about 9/11. Little too conspiracy theory for my taste, think it's just coincidence. People are always trying something, every single day. Maybe it was just somebody who was mad they're cutting down/out on the bikini commercials or tried a coupon and it didn't work.

That is beyond stupid on their part. They'll probably get it next now.

•••
•••
Sh*t... you're right.

Jumped the gun.

•••
Thought it was up as well but I couldn't log in either. Bad business. You would think they would be able to prevent something like this from happening.

Nope, just the homepage.

I couldn't log in.

•••
I can't believe it. They are so fast! I figgured it needs to be saved for the history.

Check the strategic placement of FB "like" button just under "GoDaddy is Down" message.

attachment.php

Attachments

• namegodaddy.PNG
    namegodaddy.PNG
    114.6 KB · Views: 54
•••
•••
•••

At the very least, there should be a message on that homepage about the outage.

GD needs to keep its customers in the loop.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Stupid ad.

How can anyone transfer out of GD when the GD transfer codes aren't available due to the outage?

New regs, yes, transfers = epic fail.

Despite its short name, Name.com is just a little squeaker among registrar giants.

I can't believe it. They are so fast! I figgured it needs to be saved for the history.

Check the strategic placement of FB "like" button just under "GoDaddy is Down" message.

attachment.php

•••
I was just able to login...finally!

•••

Now it seems to be back.

I was able to access at least one of my sites.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back