Dynadot

Is GoDaddy the best place to sell domains at auctions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi! I'm new to domaining and I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell hand-regged domains which are good in my opinion. At sedo I think the market activity is a bit low. Most of the domains sell with 1 bid and there are 9999999 domains listed and you never get offers. At Bido I can't get enough votes to go to auction and even if I get there, I can sell the domain for sh*t... I haven't tried godaddy but when I list the ongoing auction I see a way better activity, many bids and some good prices as well. So what do you suggest? OK, everyone says some blabla about how you could sell domains.com but it's no use. I'm talking about e.g. I registered forexprofession.com a week ago and I would sell it for $100 lets say. So the business model I'm guessing is handregging some good domains and selling quickly for high XX or low XXX. Can this be done or is this a bad model?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi,

To be honest I don't see value in names like forexprofession.com. That names does not make sense to me. Available in other extensions too. I don't see what makes it so great.
In general, if you find a 'great' name still available you should ask yourself why :)

People don't like to buy, most of the time they will find another domain... I could for example register forexoccupation.com. Give me one compelling reason why I should buy your domain.

Saying that, it's still possible to find good handregged domains but it takes experience to pick the ones that have at least a chance of selling one day. Domaining is not easy, otherwise everybody would do it.

Exposure does not make bad domains sell better. If you have good names, buyers will find you.

•••
Well, there can be some good names which are unregistered, expired, etc. But just look at the current list of godaddy auctions and the current bids... Full of sh*t... And this sh*t sells for $100 and so... OK mostly they are aged domains and some backlinks etc, I know it means a lot but seriously, there are guys selling ridiculous domains for $100... So I think exposure makes the bad domains sell better.
If I have good domains, buyers will find me ok. I think I could sell cars.com, yes, probably. But I don't have cars.com-like domains and neither does 99% of the domain sellers, and yet many succeed in selling bad domains for about high XX.

•••
I've sold a few domains on GoDaddy, eBay, Sedo and another domain forum site. Sedo has been the most profitable for me though I've only done fixed price and make offer (careful with make offer on $xx domains. I paid a $50 commission on a $75 offer once!).

I've got around 100 domains on GoDaddy cycling through their 90 day listings, nothing featured. I don't get a lot of hits.

You're right, there are some really dumb names getting bids. Sometimes if you inspect them though they have a high page rank and/or many backlinks.

•••
Sedo auctions (if you make it to auction) turn out the best for me.
Hand reg's still do happen, but there are a LOT of people scouring those pages in order to get a domain and flip it for 100%, which makes finding one that will sell for 1000% a harder task.
On the auctions, a uneventful 4L .com worth reg fee might sell for 100, if FZAC, was seen by Frank Zappa Air Conditioning as a good investment.
You understand the point. Its the end user in many of those cases.
Bad domains probably wouldnt sell at all if there was no exposure.
I have been unloading domains for the last few years and am down to around 120 or so. I was up to 3k of them, and I had them posted for auction all over the place at one point. Bad domains just dont sell.
There has to be some good in it.
IMHO

•••
Thanks for the replies, I had to give up hope that I handreg some average domains and someone will take them happily for $100 each :) This is not a market as liquid as stock market, we have to settle for this.

•••
Well, there can be some good names which are unregistered, expired, etc. But just look at the current list of godaddy auctions and the current bids... Full of sh*t... And this sh*t sells for $100 and so... OK mostly they are aged domains and some backlinks etc, I know it means a lot but seriously, there are guys selling ridiculous domains for $100... So I think exposure makes the bad domains sell better.
If I have good domains, buyers will find me ok. I think I could sell cars.com, yes, probably. But I don't have cars.com-like domains and neither does 99% of the domain sellers, and yet many succeed in selling bad domains for about high XX.

It takes a creative mind, what is popular, what is relevant in the world right now? For instance right now we have a very large aging population, so I bought up a hand full of very clear and easy to remember names which closely relate to some prominent medical issues that affect the aging population and that you see commercials about all the time. It's not fun and exciting but it's relevant.

•••
Hi Buxxx, if you are new to domaining than please dont term a domain name sh*t just by having a single look. No, i am not talking about DA, PA, Backlinks, SEO, etc. At first glance, most of the 4-letters and 5-letters look absurd..but they make huge money.

As beginners, we all make mistakes by having preconceived notions, because we are ignorant of the broader picture of the entire game.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back