Dynadot

poll IS DOMAINER GPT THE NEXT STEP?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

🤔 DOMAINER GPT: Is this the next step for domaining and GPT technology?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

QUAD DOMAINS

Established Member
Impact
✅ BY DEFINITION:

👉 DOMAINER GPT - An Ai query tool that exists for the sole purpose of providing domain investment insights and guidance.

🤔 Is this the next step for domaining and GPT technology? Comment below.

🗣 Mel - QUAD DOMAINS

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
AI is going to help some domain investors, but the reality is quality domains (mainly single words) have long been gone and you don't need advanced AI to know which words are the most popular.

By the time AI picks up on any new trends, you can believe the innovators have registered those domains already.

•••
The absolute basics can be provided by GPT. Things a youngster could figure out.

Human domainers don’t agree on anything, have different investment styles and the most successful don’t divulge their trading secrets on the internet. The info and experience is in human brains. Everything else is conflicting opinions not facts.

So much of what we do involves fine details that make a world of difference and discernment. GPT can’t scrape that off your brain. At least not yet.

They can copy domaining tips disseminated on the internet but it has no way to prove what is hogwash and what is good advice.

AI is allready heavily used on SquadHelp with insights and trends provided but even they only have their own marketplace trends not overall trends of all domain sales.

Last edited:
•••
There's money to be made so everyone jumps on the bandwagon while it's topical......would be ironic / rather apt if one of these half baked Ai products or one of it's offspring ended up being the cause of human extinction.....

The ironic thing is humans being the designers of their own extinction...

We are intelligent creatures indeed.

•••
They're all rushing things to gain first mover advantage. There's a lot of hype regarding chatgpt. I'm underwhelmed tbh.

AI is a serious matter. Not impressed by the half baked 'products' being released just to get on the train before it takes off.

•••
KglXKj9.png

•••
They're all rushing things to gain first mover advantage. There's a lot of hype regarding chatgpt. I'm underwhelmed tbh.

AI is a serious matter. Not impressed by the half baked 'products' being released just to get on the train before it takes off.
There's money to be made so everyone jumps on the bandwagon while it's topical......would be ironic / rather apt if one of these half baked Ai products or one of it's offspring ended up being the cause of human extinction.....

•••
AI is already used in domaining. By now, I thought this would be obvious to everyone.

AI is just a buzzword. In most use cases it's just a term used to describe a fairly complex automation/autonomous system.

It's no difference in domaining.

Not directly targeted at you Twiki but AI is a rather dumb albeit highly practical and efficient tool.

•••
There's a response from ChatGPT going viral around in my country, how to safely preserve and cook cow eggs.

•••
The problem with GPT is that it programmed to deliver popular (and not necessarily factual) responses.

In fact, let's test it out.

KzjOBkW.png

While the advice isn't necessarily bad, it's not particularly useful either. Some of it is even a bit questionable, and could easily be misconstrued by inexperienced domainers.

You could probably summarize the list of criteria for a useful domain on a sheet of paper the size of a business card. Beyond that it's just people determining what a particular domain is worth to them.

•••
That bing ai thing I just got access to it. It's a lot worse than chatgpt. Also I don't want something telling me when to "leave it there".

Disappointing compared to gpt even though it's supposed to be based on it and a better version.

•••
It's not coming as many expect here.

AI is already used in domaining. By now, I thought this would be obvious to everyone. I've already commented recently, the folks that are "hidden partners" of DC are definitely using AI as nothing worth anything is left un-captured at drop currently. I've watched the registration patterns, that's not human it's AI and it went so during the pandemic, they used to be more sloppy before.

I'm using AI as of now. To remove 95% of my work (although there is a good part of classic algos as well not just machine learning).

There are countless other AI tools not just GPT or even in the NLP field in general. Those are going to be far more useful in domaining in comparison with GPT. Simply because there you need something else; to identify patterns in specific datasets, to analyze multi-dimensional data such as regs, past sales, trends and whatnot. GPT is not so useful here.

I see most of the people commenting here are not in touch with the AI field directly.

Now:

- You can't replace domainer experience with AI. To be smart, the AI needs domainer experience and it won't have it, unless you are a pro domainer to train it in the first place. (I trained my minions to replicate me; Edit: as far as my experience goes, of course.)

- If you have that experience, you don't need AI, something like basic filters and existing tools out there will do the job for a small monthly fee. Building it yourself, probably not worth the hassle.

- The best domain names are already taken. Years ago.

- AI will not turn crap regs into the source of eternal gold. Doesn't work like that.

- AI is already used and it made a difference but it's slight at most. I also see improvements in GD's automatic appraisal tool lately, perhaps they have improved it in this direction. Anyway, as I said, due to factors and data is not going to make any great difference soon.

- However you can use it to learn about domaining. But that is not going to turn you into a pro faster. You either have it in you, or not.

- To be successful in domaining, you need three things. Hard work, experience, and money. Lack of any of these factors ends in no profit. You can automate most part of the hard work using AI, but so far I don't see anything replacing human experience there. And money of course.

So it's rather like the floor cleaning robot. It helps in the household, but it's not Skynet. (not that Skynet isn't coming, it is but that's a different story altogether)

People like to dream though, and get excited, and that's alright. I tend however to question and bring clarity into things before getting too excited about stuff I'm not fully familiar with.

Last edited:
•••
1. it will be easy for AI program to search from .xyz then xyz .com so com will not be the only king in future.
2. AI will always be dependent on data created by human beings so humans will remain there lol.
Regarding #2, that is not the case anymore. Most of my vision models generate their own training data now. There is a discriminator (also a model) that judges the quality (FID, etc) outputs (thousands of them) and we feed it back in. This is incredibly useful in fine-tuning models for purpose where there is very little real data.

In fact, there is not enough human data to train models now. We've exhausted the entirety of the data available and it's still not enough to pass fit especially in large language models. The thinking used to be that larger models and bigger GPUs was the key and even reusing data on multiple epochs in training looked good. Now, it turns out, it's much more important to train for longer on more data which the whole of humanity does not have. So, now we make it. Ton's of it.

You wonder why the big companies aren't locking you in claiming copyright to your use of the outputs of these models? First, there's no point. Second, you are becoming a part of the process. You're rating the outputs of the model by your usage of that data on the internet in some way is a great way to grade it. Rock on!

•••
•••
🤔 Although it might be convenient to solely consider the “domainer and Ai dynamic”, it’s also worth considering the “registrar and Ai dynamic as well”.

🤖 Granted, many domainers won’t deal with Ai UNTIL it’s introduced to them via a medium they have to engage with for the sake of maintaining their portfolio.

🛫 Domain marketplace and auction platforms have the most to gain from AI being used in the domain space. It’s “a runway for fine-tuning operations”.

🤒 If registrars and other major players incorporate Ai, (which some are doing) domainers will be likely be forced to adapt to the new variable in domaining.

👀 Ai will be intricately woven into registrar’s upselling strategies and customer incentive programs etc. The domains won’t be their primary focus.
I changed my vote “no” to “maybe so”!

Last edited:
•••
The issue is the limited amount (and quality) of data to train the AI. I would trust an average domainer's judgement more.

•••
Disappointing compared to gpt even though it's supposed to be based on it and a better version.
ChatGPT won't give you (specific) financial advice either unless you jailbreak it. I think the reason for that is that Open AI would be liable for bad investment advice and (given the size of the platform) possibly market manipulation.

•••
ChatGPT won't give you (specific) financial advice either unless you jailbreak it. I think the reason for that is that Open AI would be liable for bad investment advice and (given the size of the platform) possibly market manipulation.
Yeah, I'd question why you would ask it for financial advice though. However, I think Bing have got it into their heads that everyone has to be treated like a baby.

Bring on a version of this technology that doesn't I say.

•••
•••
•••
I reported my own post removed; but it seems Namepros is content to let my post stand there to see most dislikes it can get. Thank you all!

I said no, and i stand by my answer.
Elon Musk is making a competitor; and Google Lard too.
Google Bard, not Lard! Awful name lol

•••
1. it will be easy for AI program to search from .xyz then xyz .com so com will not be the only king in future.
2. AI will always be dependent on data created by human beings so humans will remain there lol.

•••
Why not to use AI or ChatGpt You can automate most part of the hard work using AI.

•••
AIDNTools are the right answer?

•••
I've posted this here on namePros a few of days back: Are domain names becoming less valuable in the near future?

So you can see that I'm aware of this current trend with Ai.

However, I don't think that GPT technology has what it takes to be a decent domain investor.

The main reason is, as the GPT definition suggests, these are Generative Pre-trained Transformers. What that means is, it's a system that was trained with existing content to generate similar sounding content.

So at best, a good GPT will sound like an average domainer, who takes in some good advices from great domainers, but at the same time, also takes in some poor understanding from beginning domainers.

Besides, at the very core of a decent domainer, there must exist the understanding and intuition of new and emerging trends. GPT tech. by definition has neither. It can only generate content based on existing content, it can't predict the future. There are other types of data analysis Ai that can possibly make some predictions, however, I'm not aware of any such innovation that can predict domain name trends.

So unless something significantly changes in the Ai tech to incorporate business naming prediction for the future, we'll not see someone becoming a decent domainer only by taking suggestions from GPT. Also, even if Ai catches up with newer innovations, it'll most certainly not be called GPT - because it'll not be Generative Pre-trained Transformer anymore.

Last edited:
•••
Regarding #2, that is not the case anymore. Most of my vision models generate their own training data now. There is a discriminator (also a model) that judges the quality (FID, etc) outputs (thousands of them) and we feed it back in. This is incredibly useful in fine-tuning models for purpose where there is very little real data.

In fact, there is not enough human data to train models now. We've exhausted the entirety of the data available and it's still not enough to pass fit especially in large language models. The thinking used to be that larger models and bigger GPUs was the key and even reusing data on multiple epochs in training looked good. Now, it turns out, it's much more important to train for longer on more data which the whole of humanity does not have. So, now we make it. Ton's of it.

You wonder why the big companies aren't locking you in claiming copyright to your use of the outputs of these models? First, there's no point. Second, you are becoming a part of the process. You're rating the outputs of the model by your usage of that data on the internet in some way is a great way to grade it. Rock on!
Thank you. you just yourself validated my point. these models ran out of data which means not enough "Human" generated data research there. you can do more micro refine these models but at the end there training will remain dependent on human data. those discriminator models also judging the quality based on available correct human research or incorrect human research. it is possible when AI would be able to do correct research itself to produce that data and we are far behind in it atm. Am Example, Doe needs an eye operation you can train AI to do that for you based on Already existing research. great work AI. what about a new eye disease ops AI can bring in new data and now those discriminators can not judge this new disease coz no data available. good thing is it brought back new data now a human doctor will work on that data to make it correct or incorrect for discriminators. so judgment will always be based on humans coz bits can not think. what about if i train my bits for 0 as ON AND 1 as OFF dangerous right.
Untill Human Progress is there AI cant be Perfected. so its not dangerous to humans or take over as some people believe. ya we would lose our jobs so its better to create or have some kind of digital asssets as these will be your future full time work. and i would recommend to buy a domain and build your own asset on it ya i am biased lol. i am sure future assets will include how many websites social accounts apps you are leaving for your childrens.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back