Dynadot

.biz Is .biz dead?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Ive been doing a bit of research and ive found some pretty decent .biz domains, domains that make logical sense with the .biz extension, but im reluctant to register them.

Is .biz worthwhile? or a clear no go zone...(apart from dictionary domains of course...)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unless you have some awesome name....yes

•••
.BIZ is the officially sanctuated Internet generic top level domain (gTLD) for 'Business'

There is no other gtld equivalaent except .COM, which is the officially sanctuated Internet generic top level domain for 'Commerce' 'Commercial'.

.BIZ is the perfect fit for B2B companies, but has some legs for B2C applications as well;

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site:biz+biz&btnG=Search

Is .BIZ worthwhile? At $6.99 a piece since you are looking at reg fee rather than aftermarket acquisition, I don't see why not? :-/

•••
mattius said:
ive found some pretty decent .biz domains, domains that make logical sense with the .biz extension,.....Is .biz worthwhile? or a clear no go zone...(apart from dictionary domains of course...)
There're plenty of "dictionary" domains that wouldn't make much logical sense with .biz (or for that matter any tld)...With .biz being out for almost three and a half years and well over 1M domains registered in it, I truly doubt there are any/many gems out there left unregged. However, if you do find a good decent domain for under 10 bucks, its really a no brainer ....usually, what happens is that we think we're looking at decent unregged names and just after a few days (often a few hours) after regging them they suddenly don't look as promising....so try using some objective (although not perfect) measures such as OVT bids (total number and the amount of highest bid), OVT suggestion tool #, and number of paid ads and indexed pages on Google for the keyword/term.

•••
Thx Binfus, thats a good call, ill check those stats out for the domains in question...might get lucky.

•••
your domain name should fit the citeria of a business site, or its name..if not, its is a worthless name..for eg. www.anime.bix.. its look kind of worthless name for a personal site, but for anime industry..its worth... it depends..

•••
I have only registered .biz, and that was becuase it was a good name :)
yea, it is sorta dead :(

•••
I don't see .biz as "dead" per se. The main issue, as I see it, is that biz is a speciality name. People have tried to apply it to all sorts of applications, but, ultimately, it really only works for sites directly related to market activity. As was stated above, you can't merely find a "good" name, see it unregistered in .biz and attain immediate value. However, a selective application of the extension can yield nice results in the B2B and B2C markets.

•••
alot of businesses have .biz but i think you have to have a business set up before you can do that, i think thats why there arent much people with it.

•••
Hi,

If you check some of the rules for .biz they are trying to encourage business type sites. This may reduce the number of registrations, but over a period of time you should see better quality sites which relate to business
:)

I don't think number of registrations should affect value with an extension like .biz. Some tlds, particularly some of the cc (country codes) sell for quite high prices, even though the registrations may not be that high.

Also, some people may worry about buying and selling dot biz because of some of the technical rules, however there have been quite a few sales.

kraam said:
alot of businesses have .biz but i think you have to have a business set up before you can do that, i think thats why there arent much people with it.

A business could be a sole trader.

•••
Unlike some I also don't believe .biz is "dead"....With relatively simple development, the following domains are making ten times their yearly cost every month: www.Maldives.biz www.Memphis.biz www.Collectibles.biz www.Caribbean.biz... also, many of my undeveloped .biz names get more type-ins than their .info counterparts. However, its true that the thing that matters most to domainers, the aftermarket activity, is much more prominent in .info and lately .us than in .biz...but may be thats how its meant to be.

•••
Dead? Wouldn't this imply that it was at one time alive? If it was, I missed it. As far as I know .biz was stillborn. I grabbed a few.biz names when the extension was first introduced. I had no real luck with them. No traffic, no offers. I dunno why. As far as I'm concerned it should be better than .info for corporate sites.

•••
Ya its kinda strange, i still think it has potential. I guess one of the problems lyes in trying to convince business to establish there online presence with .biz over the well known .com. There customers are obviously familiar with .com, and maybe what 1% of the population even know .biz exists...

Its like so many of these lesser tld's, there's been virtually no promotion of them in a consistant, significant kind of way. Promotion and marketing = awareness, awareness will eventually = use.

.biz needs a big corperate ally.

•••
I know what a lot of you guys are saying my shipped.biz would be idea for a shipping company and there are so many of them out there. I have had a few enquries over the years but nothing superb. I actually was really excited when the .biz was released but i still think one day it will get better but i am not holding my breath.

•••
budgetname said:
...there have been quite a few sales.

Here are all reported four-figure and higher New Extension (.biz, .info, .us) domain sales for the first three quarters of this year:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2005-3Q-expanded-newtld.htm

There are a lot of .biz sales of $1,000 to several thousand on that list, many of which the original owners got for reg fee or slightly above. I have sold many at 1K and above myself. If that kind of ROI is synonymous with death I guess I'll hang around the funeral home awhile longer. 8-X

•••
WoW some nice .biz sales there. I notice most of them are dictionary though, still its encouraging to see business get behind it. Time to hunt down some b2b, and b2c applications using it...

Man nobody told me 90% of my time learning this game would be spend on research :p

•••
Yes, probably only sales names are worth to register in .biz, imo.

•••
I would say if it is not dead yet, it is very close to dying. I have had a few .biz domains in my portfolio, but had absolutely zero luck with them. They were decent keywords that fit the extension well, but when I parked them, they received no traffic, when they were developed, they were not popular, despite my best efforts, and when I tried to sell them, there was not much of an interest. I would consider this dead, but if the domain is really premium, then as Duke mentioned, there still will be interest in the low $x,xxx range.

Tom

•••
I don't see any great future for .biz
invest in something else

•••
jeter4982 said:
I would say if it is not dead yet, it is very close to dying. I have had a few .biz domains in my portfolio, but had absolutely zero luck with them.
I've had the same experience. Im off in a different direction. Luckily I only have 8 in my portfolio...

•••
In my opinion .Biz is dead. I don't know why, but I don't really like that extension. Maybe because of Z >_<

•••
It depends on which side of the fence you are. If you are a reseller or traffic monetizer, then chances are .BIZ would appear pretty much stillborn.

If you are a developer with something good to offer visitors, it is a good extension to build targeted traffic and give your brand that differentiating edge. Once you build, the traffic will come, and leakage will come down over time.

•••
I think that it probably takes a lot more time to build a good business site than maybe a personal site. There's heaps of free tools available for building a site for personal use, you don't have to worry so much about the reliability of the site for things like transactions. I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, I have a couple of these names and I really want to put a lot of time into building some good sites but its going to take me a long time to do this, I don't want to spend money on advertising a site that doesn't look professional.

•••
Duke said:
Here are all reported four-figure and higher New Extension (.biz, .info, .us) domain sales for the first three quarters of this year:

http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2005-3Q-expanded-newtld.htm

There are a lot of .biz sales of $1,000 to several thousand on that list, many of which the original owners got for reg fee or slightly above. I have sold many at 1K and above myself. If that kind of ROI is synonymous with death I guess I'll hang around the funeral home awhile longer. 8-X

Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect.

It is quite frustrating how Duke always wants to bring facts and logic into the discussion when fear-mongering usually plays so well. :bah:

•••
.biz is no more dead than .info which is just cheaper to reg. For building an ecommerce website .biz is much more suitable than .info, but unless a prime word I would be inclined nowadays to keep to .com/.net/.org re regging.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back