NameSilo

status-resolved Is an asking price the same as Buy It Now?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Hi all,

Just what the title says. If someone says they’re asking $10 for a domain and you agree to pay $10, is it binding per NP rules?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The planet where "ice cream" is one thing and "ice" is another.
  • "Tennis shoes" vs. "tennis"
  • "Car wash" vs. "car"
  • "Solar system" vs. "solar"
  • "Movie theater" vs. "movie"
  • And so on
Asking $10,000. Please define what $10,000 represents if it’s not the price?

•••
10k is the ask. Just because you've met the ask, does not mean it ends there. The seller must accept your offer at the ask before it becomes binding. Asking price is no where near the same as BIN. Another offer came in after yours, at higher than the asking price.

Meeting a BIN is immediately binding to both parties.

As far as I could tell, the OP felt immediate entitlement to a domain because he met the sellers asking price, before the seller even accepted it.

What was that about planets?
Well said.

•••
Asking $10,000. Please define what $10,000 represents if it’s not the price?
An amount of dollars. Asking for an amount of dollars (for consideration? to sell?) is not the same as using the term "asking price," but it's a moot point, isn't it?

Even if the seller had written BIN, you still countered/rejected it, which means it would not have been binding regardless.

We hope everyone can at least agree that using "asking" and "asking price" should be avoided because there are clearer terms available, such as Buy-It-Now price, or BIN for short.

However, the terminology would not have changed the outcome in this particular case.

•••
An amount of dollars. Asking for an amount of dollars (for consideration? to sell?) is not the same as using the term "asking price," but it's a moot point, isn't it?

Even if the seller had written BIN, you still countered/rejected it, which means it would not have been binding regardless.

We hope everyone can at least agree that using "asking" and "asking price" should be avoided because there are clearer terms available, such as Buy-It-Now price, or BIN for short.

However, the terminology would not have changed the outcome in this particular case.
There were 2 places that the price was given. Yes I countered privately but I posted SOLD in the public thread.

It comes down to intent, not splitting hairs about what asking or buy now is. After giving me the price via PM, the seller went back to his thread to add that same price to the thread title. His actions show that he wanted, was asking, would accept, hoped his buy it now price would be agreed to.

I get emails daily from people that say, what is the ask, asking price, for x domain? If I choose to provide a specific dollar amount, it’s understood that the price is to buy it now. If the buyer decides to accept my asking price, I do the honorable thing and complete the sale.

•••
There were 2 places that the price was given. Yes I countered privately but I posted SOLD in the public thread.
That's a fair point and brings us back to the seller's intent of asking for an amount of money.

Is the seller asking because that's the minimum amount he's willing to consider, or is he asking because that's the minimum amount he's willing to sell?

Unfortunately, the terminology and intent is not clear enough for us to determine.

Tip: This is one reason why signing a sales contract is beneficial; the contract helps to provide clarity to the agreement and acceptance from the involved parties. A contract of sale serves to eliminate ambiguity and misunderstandings.

•••
Is the seller asking because that's the minimum amount he's willing to consider, or is he asking because that's the minimum amount he's willing to sell?
To ask for anything is just a hope to get it. Can you give me a loaf of bread? Can I please have a glass of water? Will you give me $10,000 for my domain?

The fact that I came along and said sure, I’ll give you what you’ve asked for, is a sellers dream. But for the seller to then say, sorry, I now want 2 glasses of water... that’s fucked up and wrong on several levels.

NP should not allow this kind of behavior. @Melatonin Purveyor you’re not an honest person.

Last edited:
•••
That's a fair point and brings us back to the seller's intent of asking for an amount of money.

Unfortunately, the terminology and intent is not clear enough for us to determine.

Tip: This is one reason why signing a sales contract is beneficial; the contract helps to provide clarity to the agreement and acceptance from the involved parties. A contract of sale serves to eliminate ambiguity and misunderstandings.

But we need things to get straight here first, you are right about the sales contract, but I can't get there when someone says asking $10,000 I say I will give you that which you ask kind sir. And then they say oh I want more.

•••

Avoid, it should be banned like how I got xxx banned from Domains Wanted threads and made it that it had to be $$$ amount.

•••
Avoid, it should be banned like how I got xxx banned from Domains Wanted threads and made it that it had to be $$$ amount.
Perhaps, but there are many words that can cause problems and banning words seems excessive/unnecessary.

This is something that members can manage themselves: it's as simple as asking a follow-up question for clarity, which will be much faster than reporting someone for not memorizing their vocabulary homework and/or waiting for moderators to tell them not to use words from the naughty list.

•••
Perhaps, but there are many words that can cause problems and banning words seems excessive/unnecessary.

This is something that members can manage themselves: it's as simple as asking a follow-up question for clarity, which will be much faster than reporting someone for not memorizing their vocabulary homework and/or waiting for moderators to tell them not to use words from the naughty list.

Well I think you are going to find some are going to have some fun with this.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/soccer-us-asking-20.1187525/

So get ready to do a lot more work cleaning up threads and joining pms.

•••
lol. That was a terrible example Keith, re. Nos. I mean, many sellers will take the offer at the asking price, otherwise what's the point, but when there are multiple offers coming in there is no reason to accept the first offer that meets it when you could get more.

Just relay to the first potential buyer that you've gotten a better offer, and give them a chance to something better.

Otherwise, there is the option to display BOTH an asking price and a BIN, which is exactly what you did. And exactly what I do with most all my landers. My BINs are set to the same price as my asking price. A lander with these options is NOT the same as what you have been referring to throughout..it was just one option, "asking 10k".

•••
•••
I’m already getting PMs but I want $500,000

Although I disagree with you I get why you're p*ssed. Take it out on the mods, the seller, whatever. Wasting other people's time with your domains for sale at ridiculous asking prices is just unprofessional. Don't stoop to the level of those you despise.

•••
Although I disagree with you I get why you're p*ssed. Take it out on the mods, the seller, whatever. Wasting other people's time with your domains for sale at ridiculous asking prices is just unprofessional. Don't stoop to the level of those you despise.
I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but sometimes it takes drastic measures to get attention. The mods are operating very wrong here and need to be checked.

First and foremost we are here to do business. If you sign up and participate, you need to be prepared. Mods should never give a pass because someone is new or didn’t do their homework.

•••
I don’t want to waste anyone’s time but sometimes it takes drastic measures to get attention. The mods are operating very wrong here and need to be checked.

First and foremost we are here to do business. If you sign up and participate, you need to be prepared. Mods should never give a pass because someone is new or didn’t do their homework.

I agree but that's your battle to take on. Now you're getting Innocent bystanders involved and you waste their time.

You speak about ethics, doing the right thing. This is not the way to go.

•••
I agree but that's your battle to take on. Now you're getting Innocent bystanders involved and you waste their time.

You speak about ethics, doing the right thing. This is not the way to go.
Only following rules. Maybe it’s time that we make changes for the good of the community.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Only following rules. Maybe it’s time that we make changes for the good of the community.

And at the same time disrespecting other honest people on this forum. Good for you.

To quote a well seasoned domainer:
"First and foremost we are here to do business. If you sign up and participate, you need to be prepared. "

Your actions don't follow what you preach. But heh, nobody is perfect.

•••
And at the same time disrespecting other honest people on this forum. Good for you.

To quote a well seasoned domainer:
"First and foremost we are here to do business. If you sign up and participate, you need to be prepared. "

Your actions don't follow what you preach. But heh, nobody is perfect.
But I was prepared. I know the rules here...

•••
But I was prepared. I know the rules here...

I know, as you and anybode should. But maybe not enough as the mods seem to disagree :) Look, like I said, it's your battle. Fight it with everything you've got but posting threads like you did will only weaken your case. Just saying.

•••
I know, as you and anybode should. But maybe not enough as the mods seem to disagree :) Look, like I said, it's your battle. Fight it with everything you've got but posting threads like you did will only weaken your case. Just saying.
I’m posting certain content to make a point. Maybe it’s not the best way to go about it but attention needs to be brought here.

This isn’t a game, it’s a business. If I’m wrong I prefer a slap in the face to wake me up vs a soft pat on the ass which has little effect. To the point is always better but I agree, sometimes my tactics aren’t thoroughly thought out, although well intentioned.

•••
Well I think you are going to find some are going to have some fun with this.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/soccer-us-asking-20.1187525/

So get ready to do a lot more work cleaning up threads and joining pms.
I’m already getting PMs but I want $500,000
As we’ve explained in this thread, intent is important. Your intent is clear.

Warning issued for violating rule 1.2. Restrictions are next if you continue.

Once you stop having a constructive conversation with us, the conversation ends there and you lose our ear.

We are not here for your amusement. We expect professionalism.

Thread closed.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back