IT.COM

Is Afternic a shamless platform? You decide.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just found this,

http://www.mimidi.com/unscrupulous-afternic/

It seems that Afternic, as a platform, tried to eat the price difference between sellers and buyers.

In short,
Someone listed his domains at Afternic as accepting offers.
And a buyer contacted the seller and offered $2000 at Godaddy.
Then an Afernic support emailed the seller asking for a buy now price, not specifying that $2000 offer.

What will happen if the seller set the buy now price below $2,000?
It up to you to guess.

An explain is needed by Afternic.

The following is a translation by Google,

I play domains, has been preferred English meters, domain name trading is basically dependent on foreign platforms, some time ago feeling Afternic is a good trading platform, so they put most of the hands of rice into Afternic sale, did not expect, because a recent transaction, Found, Afternic is a shameless platform, why say so? And listen to me slowly Road.

August 1, more than one o'clock, a domain name received from foreign offer, and foreigners come and go several messages, and finally talked about $ 2000, but I asked the premise must be immediately traded, I asked the buyer can use Escrow.com Transaction, of course, if he is not used, you can also choose Godaddy or SEDO. Foreigners replied that he was more accustomed to Godaddy, I told him Godaddy transaction fees are very high, about 200-300 knife, he said he was willing to pay, people say, how can we do, only from the.

I originally wanted him to use Godaddy's Domain Buy Service to complete the transaction, but in the Godaddy home page on the search and found that my domain name has been in Godaddy's auction list, and I did not put the domain name to Godaddy, Afternic help me put up, because the domain name I listed in the Afternic on, Afternic has many Partners, all sold in the Afternic domain name, all partners in the Afternic website will be displayed, so Afternic income sellers intermediary fees Also particularly high. Intermediary fees high I understand, because they have to pay to the Partner commission ... ...

The words are a bit far, the following back to the topic, when I order to save trouble, directly to his Godaddy to the domain name (here is the Afternic help me on Godaddy) bid $ 2,200 (count intermediary fees, Costs more than $ 200). After a few minutes, the buyer told me that he had bid, the strange thing is, I waited for a few minutes did not receive a quote (supposed to be immediately notified by e-mail), I also specifically registered Afternic, No news. I can not wait, I simply put the domain name to Godaddy's own listing, and then let him out a price, he bid is completed, after a few minutes, I Godaddy appeared on his offer, immediately Agree, and then tell him, I have agreed, he can go to pay, and soon he replied to the message that has been paid, and then sit Godaddy verification funds.

Trading to this stage, as the seller has been sigh of relief, the transaction has been basically successful, yes, the transaction is very smooth, but the next thing, so I am speechless, because I found, Afternic was originally such a pit users.

After about 20 hours (his sister, until now only to inform me, really waiting for him this message, are all over), Afternic sent me an e-mail that someone asked me the domain name. Look carefully under the mail, the heart does not know how many TMD in the surround, this message I have often received, always thought it was Afternic want me to domain name price to improve the turnover rate, did not think it is Kengren. I believe that in the Afternic sell rice friends are often received, I have received such letters are directly ignored, I am still used to the buyer bid and negotiations, but, in fact, if you receive such a message, that in Afternic or Afternic's partner platform is where buyers bid on your domain name, but Afternic hides the fact that someone is bidding on a domain name, telling you that someone is interested in the domain name, and then letting you bid for a price. One can imagine, if you price is low, Afternic can eat the difference between buyers and sellers, or, in the next inquiry negotiations, to black-box operation, you say, this is how a shameless platform?

If the buyer is commissioned by the intermediary, the intermediary to eat the difference, which I also recognized, because this is the game rules, but Afternic engage in, too shameless, the buyer is clearly a domain Offer, Afternic email you, but tell you A buyer asked the domain name, think about the previous received so many such messages, alas, I just want to say: I bought a table last year, really bought a table ah!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Huh? This is a long terrible translation. Perhaps you can make a quick summary that we can actually understand.

•••
•••
Yep. I too tried hard to get your point. But failed. Afternic is owned by GoDaddy. They are close partners. If you add a domain in Afternic it will show up in GoDaddy as well. But all dealings you have should be with Afternic. You shouldn't be talking to the customer directly. When somebody shows interest in your domain at GoDaddy, you will get an email from Afternic for Buy Now and Floor Pricing. Then you leave everything up to the broker to complete the sale. As a matter of fact. Both GoDaddy and Afternic have the same commission rates of $20%. I hope that explanation helped.

•••
Think their saying that if someone makes an offer on your domain instead of presenting the offer to you they ask you for your price. If your price is lower than the offer they accept the offer and steal the difference. That's how I translate it.

Last edited:
•••
Think their saying that if someone makes an offer on your domain instead of presenting the offer to you they ask you for your price. If your price is lower than the offer they accept the offer and steal the difference. That's how I translate it.

This is also how I am understanding Simmplex. I am not sure there's evidence they are doing this, but if they are, it definitely a questionable practice, unless it is somewhere specified in their terms. I am not sure if it is.

•••
If true, lawsuits incoming.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back