Dynadot

Interview: AbdulBasit Makrani on His 6 Month Afternic Experiment

NameSilo
Watch
Six months ago, domain investor AbdulBasit Makrani made the decision to move his almost four thousand domain portfolio from Uniregistry landing pages to Afternic to see whether the established Afternic platform would help to increase sales.

Every month at NamePros, AbdulBasit has been open about his experiences with Afternic, publishing his sales data for all to see. Since AbdulBasit is six months into his experiment, I took the opportunity to chat with him about his Afternic test, and some wider-ranging topics to do with domaining.

Read it in full here

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@AbdulBasit.com is a great investor. Very generous in sharing his experience. Thanks.

•••
•••
@AbdulBasit.com do you set reserve and floor prices on Afternic?

Floor is set for all domains and some domains don't have reserve set because while adding domains to Afternic, it doesn't give option to add reserve price but can only add when you go to your domain lists that's where we can add the reserve price. But while doing re-pricing, a great number of domains already have reserve set.

By the way, I've set both floor and reserve the same for all domains who already have floors and reserves added.

•••
Thanks for the interview! And congrats @AbdulBasit.com for all your success in Domaining.
You are an inspiration for all of us..

I had a small question:
Why is it that some of these domain sales are not visible on Namebio ?
e.g liplove.com, easteight.com, godragonfly.com and many more..
Maybe it's something basic that I have missed.

Reason I asked was to know whether there are sales on Afternic that go unreported on Namebio.
Or is it something related to Namebio's way of getting sales data ?

Thanks again for sharing your sales data & experiences!

•••
Thanks for the interview! And congrats @AbdulBasit.com for all your success in Domaining.
You are an inspiration for all of us..

I had a small question:
Why is it that some of these domain sales are not visible on Namebio ?
e.g liplove.com, easteight.com, godragonfly.com and many more..
Maybe it's something basic that I have missed.

Reason I asked was to know whether there are sales on Afternic that go unreported on Namebio.
Or is it something related to Namebio's way of getting sales data ?

Thanks again for sharing your sales data & experiences!

Thank you Steven (y)

Good question!
It's simple that Afternic doesn't report any sales officially. The users of Afternic can do it if they like to.

•••
Thank you Steven (y)

Good question!
It's simple that Afternic doesn't report any sales officially. The users of Afternic can do it if they like to.
Thanks Abdul !
Which means a lot many sales on Afternic are going unnoticed on Namebio..
Namebio does show Afternic sales, but that could be a small percentage of the actual sales happening at Afternic.
That is interesting..
Is it same for Uniregistry, Sedo etc..?
May be someone from Namebio could reply..

Last edited:
•••

Thanks Abdul !
Which means a lot many sales on Afternic are going unnoticed on Namebio..
Namebio does show Afternic sales, but that could be a small percentage of the actual sales happening at Afternic.
That is interesting..
Is it same for Uniregistry, Sedo etc..?
May be someone from Namebio could reply..

Yes, definitely most of the Afternic sales go unreported unless any seller wants to report itself.

Uniregistry used to report some of the top sales but after GoDaddy acquired them, I think they've stopped reporting.

Sedo does report sales unless buyer or seller requests not to be reported but I think has to pay additional 3% on top of the sale amount to keep the sale private.

•••
Yes, definitely most of the Afternic sales go unreported unless any seller wants to report itself.

Uniregistry used to report some of the top sales but after GoDaddy acquired them, I think they've stopped reporting.

Sedo does report sales unless buyer or seller requests not to be reported but I think has to pay additional 3% on top of the sale amount to keep the sale private.

Thanks a lot!

•••
I think Sedo reports sales above $2k only.

•••
Do a seller get any benefits when listing Afternic-listed BIN domains in GoDaddy auctions with BIN price?
@AbdulBasit.com, do you list your domains at GoDaddy auctions?

Similar question regarding listing Afternic-listed BIN domains in Uniregistry - does it make sense given that Uni was aquired by GoDaddy?
@Paul Nicks , @Joe Styler

Untitled.png

Last edited:
•••
Do a seller get any benefits when listing Afternic-listed BIN domains in GoDaddy auctions with BIN price?
@AbdulBasit.com, do you list your domains at GoDaddy auctions?

Similar question regarding listing Afternic-listed BIN domains in Uniregistry - does it make sense given that Uni was aquired by GoDaddy?
@Paul Nicks , @Joe Styler

Show attachment 160421

You just need to list at Afternic for the fullest exposure.

Last edited:
•••
You just need to list at Afternic full the fullest exposure.

I don't list domains at GD Auctions. Simply lists at Afternic and as Paul answered, which hopefully clarifies everything.

Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back