Dynadot

.mobi Interesting Story

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was talking to my sister yesterday. She just got a job about a month ago, and they gave her a handheld device that is web enabled.

I had told her nothing about .mobi, but I asked her how she liked browsing the web with it. I kid you not, she said that her biggest complaint was that the webpages do not seem to fit the screen, and that's why she didn't use it much.

I told her all about .mobi (she had never heard of it), and she said that was the greatest idea since .com.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great story Garrett. Thanks for sharing. How many people do you think she may tell about .mobi?

•••
I told my sister that I got my son's initials in a .mobi and she said, "why didn't you just get the .com?" :laugh:

POV: Don't forget about the generation gap

•••
garrett200 said:
I was talking to my sister yesterday. She just got a job about a month ago, and they gave her a handheld device that is web enabled.

I had told her nothing about .mobi, but I asked her how she liked browsing the web with it. I kid you not, she said that her biggest complaint was that the webpages do not seem to fit the screen, and that's why she didn't use it much.

I told her all about .mobi (she had never heard of it), and she said that was the greatest idea since .com.

everyone i talk to says the same thing too. They all say that they hate using the web on their phone because it doesnt fit and they also think .mobi is a great idea.

•••
pinky has a lot of questions to answer :p

•••
scandiman said:
Great story Garrett. Thanks for sharing. How many people do you think she may tell about .mobi?

She is going to tell a lot. She talks a lot and knows a lot of people. I never thought I'd be so thankful about her having a big mouth! :lala:

•••
garrett200 said:
She is going to tell a lot. She talks a lot and knows a lot of people. I never thought I'd be so thankful about her having a big mouth! :lala:
:lol: That's one of the most important ways .mobi will grow. Word-of-mouth grassroots endorsement from one friend to the next using dir.mobi and many of the other fine directories to ferret out more .mobi's. More people are discovering it every day and no doubt are wanting more out there to see.

•••
Haha,

I heard that she talked to some people at work, and one of them told her that .mobi is unneccessary and explained why.

She told me to stop buying .mobi's ...... I told you guys she has a big mouth....LOL

•••
garrett200 said:
Haha,

I heard that she talked to some people at work, and one of them told her that .mobi is unneccessary and explained why.

She told me to stop buying .mobi's ...... I told you guys she has a big mouth....LOL
So what was her workmates reasons why mobi was unnecessary?

•••
Because .com's can be formatted to fit the screens. OK, well, DUH, tell me something I don't know.

•••
garrett200 said:
Because .com's can be formatted to fit the screens. OK, well, DUH, tell me something I don't know.
I wish she asked him to show her one that was.

•••
scandiman said:
I wish she asked him to show her one that was.

LOL. Not one of the sites I regularly frequent is, come to think of it...

•••
Welp, my kid brother just got a handheld device that is web enabled. I didn't say anything about the .MOBI ... and simply I asked him how he liked browsing the web with it, etc. He said a few webpages are a bit distorted on the screen, but no big shakes IHHO. He still uses it plenty for a newbie, though! :talk:

So ... later on, I told him all about mTLD and the .MOBI, which he had never heard of before, and he had NO CLUE what I was talking about ... and, again IHHO, he said it seemed unnecessary (I kid you not)! :guilty:

Weird day, seems both extremes ... from totally unrelated people! :talk:
-Jeff B-)

•••
Jeff said:
Welp, my kid brother just got a handheld device that is web enabled. I didn't say anything about the .MOBI ... and simply I asked him how he liked browsing the web with it, etc. He said a few webpages are a bit distorted on the screen, but no big shakes IHHO. He still uses it plenty for a newbie, though! :talk:

So ... later on, I told him all about mTLD and the .MOBI, which he had never heard of before, and he had NO CLUE what I was talking about ... and, again IHHO, he said it seemed unnecessary (I kid you not)! :guilty:

Weird day, seems both extremes ... from totally unrelated people! :talk:
-Jeff B-)

Everyone I've informed about dotmobi has had no clue whatsoever about it, as you say. Worse, most of them don't even understand what this .mobi is...

edit: In all fairness, most of them haven't heard of .info, .biz, .org, and most cctld's either.

•••
Everyone I've informed about dotmobi has had no clue whatsoever about it, as you say. Worse, most of them don't even understand what this .mobi is...
this seems completely predictable given the fact that accessing the net via a cellphone is either very expensive or impossible ....when you add the fact that it looks like s#@t on small screens it's no wonder that people have no clue about mobi

we only need to see the first few unlimited web access plans and decent support and all the competition will get onboard and i bet it will happen _very_ fast

all i need to see is continual new hits and mounting totals on my mobi's .......don't forget what they said in the "field of dreams" .... :imho:

•••
nombre said:
this seems completely predictable given the fact that accessing the net via a cellphone is either very expensive or impossible ....when you add the fact that it looks like s#@t on small screens it's no wonder that people have no clue about mobi

we only need to see the first few unlimited web access plans and decent support and all the competition will get onboard and i bet it will happen _very_ fast

all i need to see is continual new hits and mounting totals on my mobi's .......don't forget what they said in the "field of dreams" .... :imho:

Where I live, unlimited data + internet plans hover around $100/month, so they're still quite out of the range of ordinary folks who don't have their own businesses. Of course, it wasn't so long ago it would cost you $100 to talk on the phone for an hour, so I'm sure it will come down :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back