NameSilo

Infringement on Gtld's and CCtld's

Labeled as advice in Domain Extensions, started by jiy k, Dec 15, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. jiy k

jiy k Established Member

Hi,

For a particular Domain with a 10-15 extensions or more with no TM, suppose 10 of these Domains are developed including com, net and org and some other cctld's for a particular product/service, then can i register a CCTLD for this Domain and develop it for the same product/service or will it amount to infringement on other's business even when there is no TM.

Thanks.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. pinkdragon

pinkdragon Established Member

"Develop it for the same product/service" does not sound like a good idea to me.

3. Gube

Gube 48hr.com VIP

How can they have no registered TM?
    Are the other 10-15 developed sites owned by the same person, or with existing companies behind each?
    If not, that look like Dropshipping, and dropshippers are known for not respecting many rules

4. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Generic perhaps a brand hell no even without a TM.

5. pb

pb Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If the domain name denotes that product/service, then I don't see why not. If it comprises of product/service + some descriptive term, like good, best etc., then probably yes as well. If the name is distinctive and there is a possibility that your site would be associated (in consumer's view) with any of the others, then it's not a good idea.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  6. jiy k

jiy k Established Member

This is a very tricky thing to decide upon. Thanks all for the advice.

7. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Tell me the name in PM i wont buy into it guaranteed. I won't offer any legal advice just offer an opinion. Just intrigued as may be able to apply to similar as why offered and like learning.

8. johnn

johnn WeSellName.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

For a particular Domain with a 10-15 extensions or more like Apple.com with no TM, suppose 10 of these Domains are developed including com, net and org and some other cctld's for a particular product/service, then can i register a Apple.Cybersquatter for this Domain and develop it for the same product/service or will it amount to infringement on other's business even when there is no TM.

9. jiy k

jiy k Established Member

The thing is, i came across several Domain Names which were developed for same product/service for Gtlds as well as CCtlds. Some were landing pages some were developed sites. Some were variation to the original Domain Name either with Prefix or Suffix. I did not Zero in on any Domain to register as i was too thinking on the same lines of the opinion offered here. But wanted to confirm from Experts and Experienced people in this community. Thank you.

10. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

It is all in the delivery. Put down the sledgehammer John.

11. nononsense123

nononsense123 Established Member

giving an example would help! If it's like "onlinegames.com net org de co.uk" is developed, still can I develop onlinegames.in and offer games to play? Of course yes!
    If there's a brandable side to the domain name then no imo!
    (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone)

12. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Think along these lines one owner some are whitelabel some drop shipping affiliates landers all for same crap.

13. lock

lock DomainUsed.com VIP

Probably said it best. Give an example good move @nonosense123

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice