Dynadot

.info .info and the future? Hmmmmm...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was just thinking! What if after the free .info spectacular is over, they raise the price of the .info upwards of $20+ - It makes sense to me. Instead of just raising the price out of the blue, they decide to give away a boatload of domains to make the price increase seem less harsh...

I'm not saying this is what is going to happen... it's just a thought I had, and was wondering if anyone else thought the same.

Much Success-
Jennifer

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think that since not many .info's were being sold they decided to give them away in hopes that after a year you will re-reg for $ or to sell hosting/design services etc along with the domain. Its like the cell phone companys giving away the cheap phone for free IMHO

•••
I really doubt that would happen. I believe the free promotion was just a stunt to boost numbers.

•••
You're probably right :tri:

...but it's nice to dream :laugh:

I just feel bad for people that spent good money on investing in the .info before they became free. I'm sure there are many angry people who feel totally jipped out there.

Jennifer

•••
Maybe .... but ....

Maybe .... but .... I personally think it was a stunt to make the the "Big" Vein throb out of the side of my head ....

No seriously - I don't think they'll raise the price but the Term will probably go back to the 2 year Registration ....

.edu said:
I really doubt that would happen. I believe the free promotion was just a stunt to boost numbers.

•••
Yeah I'm pretty sure people that bought .info domains before felt like that as well.

•••
Couple things, I don't feel ripped off for all the .info's I purchased before. There's no chance the names I bought would have been available now, and I would take a decent $8 domain over an ugly free name anyday. I've only found about 6 names I liked enough to register for free yet.

This whole promo is an opportunity for .info to both get their numbers up and collect when renewal time comes around next year. I'm guessing 90% of the names registered don't get renewed, but that remaining 10% is going to be a lot of additional renewals for the namespace. And heck, maybe a few will get developed along the way and give .info some additional recognition and exposure.

•••
Just have to mention - lol

"PassCollege.com - Helping College Students Pass
7000+ Free Term Papers for Research : 18,000+ Professor Ratings : Drink Recipes : College Photos and More! "

-RJ- Do the drink recipes really help Pass College now a days .... Almost had the opposite Results for me ..... :p

•••
I too only registered free .info's that I thought would be worth re-regging next year if it came down to it. It also took me quite some time to pick out my freebies, and still haven't reached my maximum yet.

Personally, I think the concept of the .info is excellent, and am looking forward to see how this whole thing turns out.

Good luck to all of us :hearts:

Jennifer

•••
well, you can never go wrong with free city .infos.

•••
I agree with RJ. I own 1 .info and it would never ever be available for reg in any extension. I tried to take advantage of the freebees but I just couldnt find anything I wanted. Great promotion but no use for me. I'm glad everybody got free domains though.

•••
John-

would you say that for any population size, as far as the cities go?

Thank you :hearts:
Jennifer

•••
i would say it's best for cities over 5,000 people. there are PLENTY available. I got through 10 states and quit because it was taking too long. I've had little trouble reselling city .info's for small towns and cities - mainly just as reselling, but a number to endusers. Have probably made $2500 or so from cities in the past. Just a tip.

•••
-RJ- said:
This whole promo is an opportunity for .info to both get their numbers up and collect when renewal time comes around next year. I'm guessing 90% of the names registered don't get renewed, but that remaining 10% is going to be a lot of additional renewals for the namespace. And heck, maybe a few will get developed along the way and give .info some additional recognition and exposure.

In addition, I think it will entice some owners of com/net/org to go ahead and pick up the .info. Once they own it, it may be hard for them to actually let it drop and be picked up on the drop service lists by others.

For free, you can hardly go wrong registering the 25, parking them for potential income, and dropping them if they don't make reg fee+ by next year in PPC income.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
-RJ- said:

In addition, I think it will entice some owners of com/net/org to go ahead and pick up the .info. Once they own it, it may be hard for them to actually let it drop and be picked up on the drop service lists by others.

For free, you can hardly go wrong registering the 25, parking them for potential income, and dropping them if they don't make reg fee+ by next year in PPC income.
I agree, that is why i am gathering my 25 domains, i will just park them for $$$

•••
I think the whole .info situation is just a well tried example of flooding the market to create a demand. It's a tactic that has been used very successfully and utilized in many industries but non so much as the drug industry. Give away free samples, create demand then charge cash. I don't think after being smart enough to offer the names for free they'd then be dumb enough to try to charge extorsionate fees for renewal. I would imagine renewals will be inline with .com's

Personally I think it's a great offer and I'm sure many people will profit from it at some point in the future ;)

My two cents.

Lux

•••
how many places are offering the 25 free .info's? I know of three offhand, but don't know of any more....

•••
I've only found about 6 names I liked enough to register for free yet.
I am taking more of a volume approach by regging as many as I can w/ the intention of dropping up to 75-80%, maybe more, if I don't see a workable future or sales potential in them after a year's time. A good analogy for this is the way different photographers approach their work. Some like to blast away and shoot rolls of film and than go back, study, and pick out the shots they want, while others prefer to prepare and wait for the right moment to get their shot. It's really a matter of how one likes to operate.

The volume approach works for me, because, to use another metaphor, I am still putting together a team and exploring my players strengths and their chemistry, and I just couldn't pass up a free draft. I already had my eyes on well over 25 3 char names w/ meaning/significance, and who knew a year ago that the 3character market would take off, as it did and who knows ehere it may go? I also uncovered 3 solid/appropriate single word names and found a half dozen keyword search term combos that go well w/ info, and are in the 25M-140M OV search/mo range. And how could I pass on a few that are brandables or in need of some proactive marketing like: AccountBalance.info, HowSite.info, YourIQ,info, Artifaqs.info and TrialOffer.info? Than there are a couple of regionally significant city names that may be good for local businesses near me, and of course there are the larks- the ones that are just for fun, like heythere.info, 4MM.info (my initials), StrangeStuff.info, and Paybacks.info.

All of the ones I have mentined are probably destined for the drop box, but maybe one will work out. If not,I have only been set back a few hours of time, and no out of pocket outlay.

Perhaps the time will come when my sight becomes more focused, but at present, I'm keeping a full roster and am only making cuts after I've worked them out, and only as necessary. This does tend to make things somewhat hectic, so I do see the advantages of a more serene and deliberate approach, as well. :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Dotster Started Yesterday ...

johnny6 said:
how many places are offering the 25 free .info's? I know of three offhand, but don't know of any more....

Dotster Started Yesterday ... :wave:

•••
all4cost said:
johnny6 said:

looks like the wave is starting and the reg companies are getting pressures to offer .infos for free.

•••
i have looked through some sites and they are still offering .info domains for $25/yr!

•••
luxinterior said:
I think the whole .info situation is just a well tried example of flooding the market to create a demand. It's a tactic that has been used very successfully and utilized in many industries but non so much as the drug industry. Give away free samples, create demand then charge cash. I don't think after being smart enough to offer the names for free they'd then be dumb enough to try to charge extorsionate fees for renewal. I would imagine renewals will be inline with .com's

Personally I think it's a great offer and I'm sure many people will profit from it at some point in the future ;)

My two cents.

Lux

Very good insight there. They want it to work in the same way that Elequa wanted immediate value to his three letter .us names, so he bought all the rest of them, thus creating demand...

•••
all4cost said:

One important thing to note with Dotster is that they say you can't alter whois info until January! Any idea why?

•••
Can't alter whois until January :o what if we push a domain to another accout?

The first 25 .info's that I got at DomainSite.com were for the most part utter crap, but after looking at the list of 25 that I am about to reg at Dotster.com I am VERY pleased with some of the domains I found.

•••
I doubt that Afilias would do that across the board. I have noticed that the $7 - $10 range registrars are not yet offering free .infos. I think that the ones offering freebies hope that you'll renew at their prices rather than go through the hassle of transferring them away.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back