IT.COM

debate I'm skeptical... Are you?!?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Josh R

Josh.coTop Member
Impact
Mike Mann reports all these domain sales which is great for him and the industry. But how real are they?

He reports very large sale prices that would only be justifiable from an end-user stand point. Even then, some of these prices are far-fetched based on the domain quality.

Now my question is, after days, weeks, months even years, why are these domains still in his name?.. Normally, the ones that are not in his name will be under privacy and not resolve to anything.

I'ts actually very difficult to find too many sales that are actually being used by an end-user. Please correct me if I'm wrong by all means... I've looked through many...

icram.com
lingerieboutique.com
shays.com
riseup.org
WeAreParents.com
Football.co

Old one for you as well, which triggered by interest.
FromRagsToRiches.com - Apparently sold in 2012 for 26K --- Never moved away from DomainMarket.com

I'm sure he has many very legit sales, but something just doesn't feel right to me?.. Thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
How did you even read all of that.. Quickest response ever. Almost feel like you're a bot.

•••
•••
Disclaimer- I don't know anything about Michael Mann or his business. I just wanted to comment that it's not uncommon for end user buyers to leave auxiliary domains unused indefinitely. When I look at names I've sold, there's a significant portion that still point nowhere or occasionally have the same nameservers I left it with.

One of the names on your list, weareparents.com, for example, shows whois as being held by an IP protection business. It may have been purchased defensively by wereparents.com but they haven't gotten around to redirecting it to their main domain. They might never.

WHOIS changes should reflect ownership changes of legitimate sales, but there are registrars that don't automatically update contact information when domains are transferred.

Again, this is not specific to MM, just based on my own experiences buying and selling domains.

•••
I don't have any info myself but I applaud investigative journalism, especially when there is risk of backlash :)

Last edited:
•••
Not sure if I understand.
Are you questioning these 7 sales?
icram.com
lingerieboutique.com
shays.com
riseup.org
WeAreParents.com
Football.co
and
FromRagsToRiches.com

•••
•••
Not sure if I understand.
Are you questioning these 7 sales?
icram.com
lingerieboutique.com
shays.com
riseup.org
WeAreParents.com
Football.co
and
FromRagsToRiches.com
Just wanted to check the end-users which purchased some of his names and it took me a little while to find any. A lot of them still seemed to be owned by domainmarket.com or not pointing anywhere.

I don't doubt that most of them are legit, if not all are legit, I'm just slightly skeptical because it honestly took me a while to find any that were being used by an end-user

•••
Are the one you are listing the ones that are being used or not being used?

•••
Mike Mann reports all these domain sales which is great for him and the industry. But how real are they?

trust your gut, when you genuinely feel that something is wrong it usually is.

•••
Guys, you probably compare yourself to Mike Mann and think "hey, I have great domains I can't sell and he sells mediocre domains for XX.XXX".
But you shouldn't.
He owns so many domains that is a game number and it's natural that he makes some great sale on average domains.
Without them he would be broken in 3 months, killed by renewals

•••
Could it be that MM is announcing sales before the escrow has even cleared ?

•••
Are the one you are listing the ones that are being used or not being used?

None of the sites linked in the original post is being used by end users.

Last edited:
•••
I am sorry but I still don't understand what the point is here.
If you have some domains that you think that were not really sold then post them so we can see.

•••
I've been waiting to see who bought RiseUp.org for $75,000 a few weeks ago considering the whois is still showing Domain Market as the current registrant and the page goes to a 'broken' parked page... But I agree with some of the others. I think at least 80% of the domains I have sold are currently dead pages or are still using the nameservers from when I owned it.

•••
I've been waiting to see who bought RiseUp.org for $75,000 a few weeks ago considering the whois is still showing Domain Market as the current registrant and the page goes to a 'broken' parked page... But I agree with some of the others. I think at least 80% of the domains I have sold are currently dead pages or are still using the nameservers from when I owned it.
I agree, there are many instances where nothing get's updated. However I would say most of the time when high prices are paid (end-user pricing) -- It's fairly common to see an end-user start using the name... I just wanted to check some sales he reported in the last 5/6 weeks and nobody is using them. Perhaps some of them drop out of Escrow as well?.. I'm not sure, but just thought it was a bit strange.

•••
Quite possible they have backed out of escrow, but out of the five, five-figure sales I have had, only two are being used, one is still pointed to my old servers and the other two are blank pages.

•••
Quite possible they have backed out of escrow, but out of the five, five-figure sales I have had, only two are being used, one is still pointed to my old servers and the other two are blank pages.
fair enough.
FromRagsToRiches.com was bought in 2012 and still points to domainmarket.com... What a waste of 26K...

•••
@Axorees please explain what is the common pattern of the domains you posted.

What do mean by nothing gets updated? Most if not all of the domains you list had whois changed or nameservers changed or registrar changed or combination of the above.

Being not developed means nothing. Especially for fresh sales like these.

•••
Hopefully he didn't prematurely celebrate the sale by stating he paid $300, sold for $75,000 and everyone commenting on whether or not Soros bought it, lmao.

•••
a lot of domains I sold are still using my nameservers and point to whatever I want them to point to

•••
@Axorees please explain what is the common pattern of the domains you posted.

What do mean by nothing gets updated? Most if not all of the domains you list had whois changed or nameservers changed or registrar changed or combination of the above.

Being not developed means nothing. Especially for fresh sales like these.
Not sure what you aren't understanding... I'm saying that the ones I looked at are either under privacy, and not pointing anywhere or have not changed ownership and still point to domainmarket.com... I finid it unusual that high prices are paid and then whois info is not updated or the domain still points to domainmarket.com 5 years later in some cases. That's all.

Not entirely sure what you're confused about.

•••
how much did football.co sell for?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back