Dynadot

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Brad. What do you see as the biggest threats to a .com portfolio? Can you foresee a day when domain investing ceases to be viable?
As long as domains are relevant, I think .COM will lead the way, by a wide margin.

That is not to say there might not be value in other extensions as well. I don't only sell .COM.

For many years we have heard that domains were going to become irrelevant because of social media, apps, now alternatives like blockchain domains, etc. In that time, quality domains (especially .COM) have really only become more valuable and in demand.

Domains give you flexibility that options like social media and apps don't. The current system does not require special settings or software, like blockchain domains.

I don't see what is going to replace them any time soon.

The biggest issue at the moment is opportunity cost IMO. When you factor in a standard STR, the vast majority of the prices realized at major auction venues and marketplaces don't really make sense as an investment.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
For many years we have heard that domains were going to become irrelevant because of social media, apps, now alternatives like blockchain domains, etc. In that time, quality domains (especially .COM) have really only become more valuable and in demand.

Domains give you flexibility that options like social media and apps don't. The current system does not require special settings or software, like blockchain domains.

Here is a great example of why social media doesn't replace the need for domain names.

With social media, you are completely at the whims of the company.

Elon Musk reminds everyone why they need their own domain name​

https://domainnamewire.com/2022/12/...everyone-why-they-need-their-own-domain-name/

Brad

•••
As long as domains are relevant, I think .COM will lead the way, by a wide margin.

That is not to say there might not be value in other extensions as well. I don't only sell .COM.

The biggest issue at the moment is opportunity cost IMO. When you factor in a standard STR, the vast majority of the prices realized at major auction venues and marketplaces don't really make sense as an investment.

Brad
What about the possibility that .com prices increase astronomically because of V/e/r/i/s/i/g/n and URS/UDRP "upgraded" by I/C/A/N/N to the point where TM holders can easily attempt RDNHs for cheap?

•••
What about the possibility that .com prices increase astronomically because of V/e/r/i/s/i/g/n and URS/UDRP "upgraded" by I/C/A/N/N to the point where TM holders can easily attempt RDNHs for cheap?
I am not a fan of Verisign and their no-bid .COM contract, but unlike many other extensions they don't actually own the extension. They merely operate .COM under contract.

When it comes to .COM, the wide usage is a protection against these type of abusive moves. We saw this play out in .ORG when the extension was threatened by a private equity takeover. The community came together and fought against it.

If they tried to introduce any nonsense with .COM like absurd renewal prices, tiered renewals, premium registrations, etc. there would be a massive uproar like never seen before. It would not just be domain investors, it would also be small companies, large companies, non-profits, and pretty much everyone in between.

ICANN would have a very hard time defending those moves as in the "public interest".

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad,

Merry Christmas.

I have just got a question on my mind - As you have a well-established website with a great portfolio, may I ask why you do not redirect your domains to it? Instead, you give away the traffic to Dan / Sedo / GoDaddy?

P.S Many thanks for accepting the invitation via Linkedin

I wish you a Happy 2023 in advance.

•••
Hi Brad,

Merry Christmas.

I have just got a question on my mind - As you have a well-established website with a great portfolio, may I ask why you do not redirect your domains to it? Instead, you give away the traffic to Dan / Sedo / GoDaddy?

P.S Many thanks for accepting the invitation via Linkedin

I wish you a Happy 2023 in advance.
Good question.

I have tested this in the past, but the results were not as consistent.
I use my website more as a portfolio site than a marketplace.

I have some priced domains like .US going to Afternic landers. My testing has shown them to be highly effective for that category.

Afternic just has a massive reach between GoDaddy and all their other registrar partners. Also, many buyers are more comfortable buying domains at GoDaddy or from their preferred registrar as they are more familiar with them.

There is also the ease of use. Negotiating with every buyer, on every sale, is demanding.

I do prefer to handle my own leads and negotiate on better domains, that is where Dan.com works well.

The 9% fee is higher than Escrow.com for instance, but the process is so streamlined. That is just a cost of doing business IMO.

Now, if Dan.com raised their fees much higher I think it is worth exploring other options. Paying more than 9% AND handling the leads and negotiation is all of a sudden far less appealing.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thanks Brad. So my take here is that unless a person has a portfolio that is comparable to yours, a personalized website will not be useful so long as Afternic / DAN landing page is in place.
The main reason is that buyers tend to make offer via them instead of contacting the owner.

By the way, I noticed that Sedo is less mentioned here. May I ask if STR is really significantly lower with them?

•••
Thanks Brad. So my take here is that unless a person has a portfolio that is comparable to yours, a personalized website will not be useful so long as Afternic / DAN landing page is in place.
Yeah, it is definitely not necessary to sell domains. If you have quality domains, priced in a reasonable range, on popular venues, some will sell over time.

By the way, I noticed that Sedo is less mentioned here. May I ask if STR is really significantly lower with them?
I sell hardly any domains via SEDO, though in fairness I don't give them much of a shot.
Most of my portfolio there is not updated and does not have BIN prices.

In the past most of my SEDO sales have come from European buyers. I think they might just be more popular in that demographic.

Brad

•••
first thank you @bmugford for taking the time to answer all the questions, and being patient
i have already bookmarked this thread, amazing questions and answers

i want to ask your opinion and advice about domains that are not in English, yes i realize that .com domains can be in any language and that is the advantage I found on .com and .net

i do believe that the competition can be a little less intense and more opportunities can be found, even that the market is smaller still

i also want to ask, that if all your knowledge and advice on this business can be applied to non-english speaking domains

again thank you and take care

Last edited:
•••
first thank you @bmugford for taking the time to answer all the questions, and being patient
i have already bookmarked this thread, amazing questions and answers
Thanks for the kind words.

i want to ask your opinion and advice about domains that are not in English, yes i realize that .com domains can be in any language and that is the advantage I found on .com and .net

i do believe that the competition can be a little less intense and more opportunities can be found, even that the market is smaller still

i also want to ask, that if all your knowledge and advice on this business can be applied to non-english speaking domains

again thank you and take care
I own, and have sold, several terms is other languages, like Spanish and French.

One example of a French term I sold is "mise en place" in .COM. It is a culinary term.

You just have to be careful as you need somewhat of a strong grasp of the language.

It is very easy to go down the path and think a term means one thing but then realize it is a more obscure term or tense. If you can find a native speaker, even a non domain investor, it can be helpful.

Brad

•••
Here is a great example of why social media doesn't replace the need for domain names.

With social media, you are completely at the whims of the company.

Brad

All too true. I see most people who are involved with social media don't realize what censorship is. When you have an account with Facebook, for example, you are subject to their censorship, that means at the end of the day, it becomes a political thing because their voice is "bigger" than yours or at least they are holding you ransom. At the the end of the day, they have the right to mold you into their square, if you know what I mean.

Most people growing up in the social media age have a very vague idea of true free speech. Social media platforms can get away with all kinds of atrocious anti-free speech policies because they can so easily hide behind the computer screen and work from a remote country where it would be difficult to litigate for such offenses.

So that's why domains are going no where (especially .com) and all internet users should be happy with that. You can buy your OWN domain name, put up a site and say what you want. That's what free speech and right to act are all about.

But not enough people realize the rampant manipulation in the social media sphere. Hopefully they can eventually realize that something so small as a domain can actually fortify their right for free speech over the web.

Cheers.

•••

I own, and have sold, several terms is other languages, like Spanish and French.

One example of a French term I sold is "mise en place" in .COM. It is a culinary term.

You just have to be careful as you need somewhat of a strong grasp of the language.

It is very easy to go down the path and think a term means one thing but then realize it is a more obscure term or tense. If you can find a native speaker, even a non domain investor, it can be helpful.

Brad
All too true. I see most people who are involved with social media don't realize what censorship is. When you have an account with Facebook, for example, you are subject to their censorship, that means at the end of the day, it becomes a political thing because their voice is "bigger" than yours or at least they are holding you ransom. At the the end of the day, they have the right to mold you into their square, if you know what I mean.

Most people growing up in the social media age have a very vague idea of true free speech. Social media platforms can get away with all kinds of atrocious anti-free speech policies because they can so easily hide behind the computer screen and work from a remote country where it would be difficult to litigate for such offenses.

So that's why domains are going no where (especially .com) and all internet users should be happy with that. You can buy your OWN domain name, put up a site and say what you want. That's what free speech and right to act are all about.

But not enough people realize the rampant manipulation in the social media sphere. Hopefully they can eventually realize that something so small as a domain can actually fortify their right for free speech over the web.

Cheers.

Brad
thank you @bmugford for your advice.
i am a spanish native speaker..
and about what you said it is 100% true some terms can mean a completely different thing even in the same languages but in different countries... one term in Mexico can mean something and in Argentina mean a completely different thing.
do you recommend sticking with the .com domains
for terms in different languages? as they might be easier to sell because people is more familiar with .com and also pay a cheaper renewal fee
thank you

yes @DealMaker1 i agree social media in my opinion is a waste of time, and filled with toxic people, they just dont realize that they own nothing, on the other hand with a domain ( that you still dont own, but you rent it) you have more freedom
social media has no freedom of speech, it all depends on the interest of the social media owners.

Last edited:
•••
do you recommend sticking with the .com domains for terms in different languages? as they might be easier to sell because people is more familiar with .com and also pay a cheaper renewal fee
thank you
I would generally stick to .COM with these type of domains, or possibly popular ccTLD but only for top tier terms.

Brad

•••
Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for doing this, Brad.

Question:

What do you think of this one word:
Q-u-a-d-r-i-l-e-m-m-a .com
Is it worth the investment.

Thank you very much.

•••
Why do you share some of your sales on Twitter but not on Namepros?

•••
Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for doing this, Brad.

Question:

What do you think of this one word:
Q-u-a-d-r-i-l-e-m-m-a .com
Is it worth the investment.

Thank you very much.
It seems like a very niche term.

I generally look for domains that have larger pools of end users personally.

Almost any .COM can sell, but the likelihood of an end user sale seems low IMO.

Brad

•••
I generally don't report sales.

I only started doing it recently, and only for a limited amount of sales.
I am just mixing it up and trying something new.

Brad

•••
Since you mentioned this, I will go ahead and report my most recent sale here first.

CharlotteWeightLoss.com - $2,500 (net in hand).

Is it an amazing domain? Not really, but it is still a solid domain to the right end user.

It is also easy to replace and pays the bills while I wait for bigger offers on better domains.

Brad

•••
•••
•••
•••
Do you have domains with Epik?

•••
Do you have domains with Epik?
I can answer that one on Brad's behalf (hope he doesn't mind). He definitely doesn't. At this stage, no-one should. If they can possibly afford to transfer them out, that's what they should be doing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Hi, Brad!
Thank you for your twits sharing!
I like your posts, I learn from them. I have learned a lot of nuances in this business, but the pricing process is still incomprehensible to me :0) Can you use the example of one of my domains to show how to set the price correctly?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back