Dynadot

I'm Brad Mugford, owner of DataCube.com. AMA

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I registered my first domain in the late 1990's, but have been an active domain investor for 15+ years now.

I am going to call this an Ask Me (Almost) Anything.
There might be some questions I am unwilling or unable to answer.

I would prefer to keep the questions related to domain investment, or business in general.

Feel free to ask general questions, or specific questions for instance regarding an appraisal of your domain.

About:
Twitter - https://twitter.com/datacubecom (I have not really used Twitter much, but plan to start using it more.)
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/bradmugford/

I am not sure how long I am going to leave this thread open. Let's see how it goes.

Brad

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi, Brad, please give me a masterclass on domain evaluation for Love Claws dot com. Alter estimated it at $7800, Godaddy - less than $100. I set the price about $5000. How relevant is my selling price at any marketplace?

•••
Hi, Brad, please give me a masterclass on domain evaluation for Love Claws dot com. Alter estimated it at $7800, Godaddy - less than $100. I set the price about $5000. How relevant is my selling price at any marketplace?
On the upside, it is a two word .COM. Those always have a chance.

I guess my first question though would be what does "love claws" mean?

A cursory search brings up a lot of results for a book with that name.

Is there some other meaning? I am trying to picture who the end user might be.

Brad

•••
On the upside, it is a two word .COM. Those always have a chance.

I guess my first question though would be what does "love claws" mean?

A cursory search brings up a lot of results for a book with that name.

Is there some other meaning? I am trying to picture who the end user might be.

Brad
It can be a site for love dates, sexshop or an online store for pet supplies. I always register domains with a more extensive possibilities. All my registrations are handmaded and similar to the game of Russian roulette. I know for sure that this domain will make bang and be purchased, but very often I cannot decide on the market price

Last edited:
•••
All my registrations are handmaded and similar to the game of Russian roulette.
There's a one-in-six chance of you dying?

•••
There's a one-in-six chance of you dying?
Bull's-eye! I am five-sixths sure that my domain will be bought at a high price. Yes, there is always a small chance that I will die before the domain is bought. But I've been doing naming for many years and I know what customers might like

Last edited:
•••
Hi Brad!
Tell me, please, when buying dictionary domain what one to give preference to dot ORG or XYZ? Thanks advance

•••
Hi Brad!
Tell me, please, when buying dictionary domain what one to give preference to dot ORG or XYZ? Thanks advance
.ORG. It is often the first choice of end users, especially in certain fields.

There are also no "premium" registration or renewal fees. Every domain has a standard fee.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I feel like Love Claws could be a great name for one of those RomCom Hallmark movies about a lawyer and a cat lover...or perhaps the lawyer is the cat lover.

•••
Hi Brad,

First, thanks for this opportunity to ask.

What is doing ICANN? There is regulation organization, that can limit domain reg in specific area like .ru .ir . They are terrorists. Was there such in history?
Thanks

p.s. I have Pleasers .org :xf.wink: , is it a good domain?

•••
Hi Brad,

First, thanks for this opportunity to ask.

What is doing ICANN? There is regulation organization, that can limit domain reg in specific area like .ru .ir . They are terrorists. Was there such in history?
Thanks
Extensions like .RU and .IR are ccTLD. The cc stands for "country code".
ICANN does not have contractual authority over ccTLD.

p.s. I have Pleasers .org :xf.wink: , is it a good domain?
Any single word domain like that has some potential.

Brad

•••
Thank you very much!
I just have a craze when buying domains to buy several domain zones at once, if they are free (for dictionary words). But now I am limited in funds, so I appreciate the good advice.
PS I feel that this way you will become a good domain fairy for beginners :0)

Last edited:
•••
•••
Who have?
After an extension is delegated by IANA, the country/region that they have been delegated to, or whoever has been contracted by them to operate the extension.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Thank You So Much GIF by Johnny Climax

•••
Let's not touch politics. When the United States bombed Yugoslavia and Libya, no one called them terrorists, and registrars like Namecheap and Dynadot did not expel ordinary Americans from their websites. What is happening in the world now has nothing to do with the message of our esteemed colleague. I hope for understanding.

•••
Let's not touch politics.
Indeed, it is less suitable at this place. I do want to note the following.

Parties involved in Internet infrastructure are often faced with very difficult choices. It is best they remain neutral, otherwise our whole Internet will fall apart.

RIPE NCC, the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) for Europe, Middle East and parts of Central Asia, has laid this out very clearly on the following page, which is worth reading for everyone:

https://www.ripe.net/participate/member-support/the-ripe-ncc-and-ukraine-russia

Last edited:
•••
Thank You for Your help Brad. Please I have a few questions.

Where do you list on. Is it only DAN and Afternic. You stated you don't do outbound much. So all your buyers come from those sites. ?

And finally what would you advice a newbie with a budget in mid 4 figures

•••
Hi

bmugford,​

I really like your useful comments about domaining. I have few questions:
* How do you motivated in domain investing during the time when no sale come.
* How you do time management for domain investing or i can say how much time you give on daily basis for this activity.
* Are you doing domaining invidually.

•••
Thank You for Your help Brad. Please I have a few questions.

Where do you list on. Is it only DAN and Afternic. You stated you don't do outbound much. So all your buyers come from those sites. ?
Mainly those, but they are not the only avenues that I make sales.

I often get contacted via my website, brokers, or directly from potential buyers.

Brad

•••
And finally what would you advice a newbie with a budget in mid 4 figures
This is hard to answer. There is really no magic formula.

I would read and learn as much as you can first. Without a good foundation it is very easy to waste money.

In general, I would try to buy quality domains on the aftermarket in mid $XX - mid $XXX range and maybe mix in a small amount of handregs (if you can find them).

The problem with handregs is there are around 160 million .COM taken, so the pickings are generally rather slim.

While the handreg cost is low in the first year, it adds to the portfolio carrying costs more rapidly than say a higher quality $100 - $250 domain would.

Here is a good article about scaling a portfolio with comments by myself and others.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/scaling-up-a-domain-name-portfolio.1283615/

This is another. It is a bit dated, but most of the suggestions are still good -

https://www.namepros.com/blog/exper...ins-what-would-you-buy-what-if-25-000.988553/

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have few questions:
* How do you motivated in domain investing during the time when no sale come.
I just keep plugging away.

In the domain field sales can be very streaky, regardless of portfolio quality or size.

I am more interested in inquiries than sales. If you get inquiries, sales will eventually happen.

* How you do time management for domain investing or i can say how much time you give on daily basis for this activity.
At this point probably a few hours or less, though it was much more time intensive in the past.

You can probably notice on venues like NamePros and others, that I have plenty of free time. :ROFL:

On a daily basis I mainly just look at offers and scan lists of domains at various venues and based on various metrics.

Every month I will look at renewals, and normally update my accounting files.

* Are you doing domaining invidually.
Could you clarify what this means?

Brad

•••
Thank You very much please. The advice is timely . It seems I can't quote your message because I keep getting a popup about not being able to include links or email addresses even though my reply does neither. So far I have registered about 40 names, all hand reg, because despite been in domaining for a while, I don't understand the aftermarket or how it works or what auctions are. But I'll fix it and get to learning it today( previously most explanations I got were confusing)

Thank you once more. You're valuable, I know you know that already. Wish there was a way to say thanks more but thank you. Wish you continued success

•••
Also it's impressive how you always hammer on thinking about the end user. I've been incorporating it and It helps in picking better names

•••
or directly from potential buyers.
You don't use WHOIS Privacy? Keep your contact data on WHOIS is open?

On a daily basis I mainly just look at offers and scan lists of domains at various venues and based on various metrics.
How you decide which domain(s) to drop and which is hold on for a next year?

•••
You don't use WHOIS Privacy? Keep your contact data on WHOIS is open?
Most domains use WHOIS privacy by default, though I would not really care that much if WHOIS was public.

Some contacts are via the GoDaddy contact option in the WHOIS search.

Also, some extensions I deal in like .US don't allow WHOIS privacy.
How you decide which domain(s) to drop and which is hold on for a next year?
I drop very few anymore. I might drop around 1-2% of my domains per year.

They are generally lesser extensions, or longer tail domains with limited upside.

Brad

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back