Dynadot

advice If you have seen a major drop in parking revenue read this

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
You will be shocked how many parking pages show a blank if the user has adblock. Over 200 mil users use adblock and even large media companies are seeing a major problem with that.

So get the adblock plugin and test your parking pages

The companies can easily fix this

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have more of a common sense question to ask in regards to this:

If people who have installed adblocker are being forced to see ads, are they really going to click on them?

It seems to me that spending a lot of effort trying to force-feed ads to people isn't very productive. The people who go to the trouble of installing blocking software are not your target group.

Disclaimer: I'm quite a new domainer, and I know pretty much nothing about parking. It's just that from a logical standpoint, I don't see the problem.

•••
We keep track of the amount of people who have an ad-blocker installed, how many see the ads, and how many click. The amount that click is actually a lot higher than you would think.

In my case personally I have 4 browsers installed on my machine. Edge, Chrome, Canary, and Firefox. Canary and Firefox I have ad-blocking software installed on. The other two I do not. 95% of my surfing is either in Edge or Chrome which doesn't have an ad-blocker installed.

Donny

•••
I have more of a common sense question to ask in regards to this:

If people who have installed adblocker are being forced to see ads, are they really going to click on them?

It seems to me that spending a lot of effort trying to force-feed ads to people isn't very productive. The people who go to the trouble of installing blocking software are not your target group.

Disclaimer: I'm quite a new domainer, and I know pretty much nothing about parking. It's just that from a logical standpoint, I don't see the problem.

Let me explain a bit better. We don't have to sit and speculate anything. As domainers we speculate too much and sometimes we forget there is real data we can review.

The number 200 million is a number that was published over 6 months ago. To assume it stood still at that number would be a fools game.

If publishers are saying they are feeling a big hit because of adblockers, if publishers are coming up with ways to deal with this problem obviously it is a problem for them.

You have many people in this business that have a bias, they rather not admit that there is a problem, to admit there is a problem means they have to get off their behinds and try to deal with it.

Earlier this year facebook admitted they are worried about adblockers, thats FACEBOOK! How delusional must someone be to sit around and proclaim adblockers to not be a problem, seriously?

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-admits-that-its-worried-about-adblockers-2016-1

•••
I agree their is a problem, but we have already addresses it. We are in the ad-block plus acceptable ads program. I pay a fee on a monthly basis so that surfers can see your ads on your domains.

Donny

•••
I agree their is a problem, but we have already addresses it. We are in the ad-block plus acceptable ads program. I pay a fee on a monthly basis so that surfers can see your ads on your domains.

Donny

Great, props for doing the right thing for the webmasters who rely on you guys!

•••
I have posted now 1000 messages, I rarely need to use that tone, however, when someone like yourself comes along and shows complete disregard to facts and makes statements that are not civilized, I respond in exactly the same way.

You will have to learn to show respect if you wish to get respect, learn that quickly please.

And as a reminder, if 200 million people cannot see a link, you have 200 million people less who can click on a link.

Simple math that made sense even in 3000BC.

With "not civilized" you mean "don't agree with me"?

I like the subject, but I think we can all be more friendly here.

And about the 300 million people, it is not as if these people are all visiting your page. It is a small percent of the total active internet users, so revenue should decline with less than 1% I believe.

The question I get from this is: if you see a revenue drop of let's say more than 10% and then make sure you won't show a blank page with ad blockers, will the rev get back up with 10%? I am curious if anyone experienced this.

For me, it would be surprising if ad blockers really take away more than a few percent of the revenue. For Facebook and Google this is obviously a big deal since a few percent is really a lot to them, but for parked pages, I assume it is mostly not that big of a deal (although any money loss is not ideal obviously)

•••
This is all very interesting data, but still no one has been able to answer my question:

If people are going to the trouble of installing adblocker software, what makes you think they'll start clicking on ads if you bypass the blocker?

•••
With "not civilized" you mean "don't agree with me"?

I like the subject, but I think we can all be more friendly here.

And about the 300 million people, it is not as if these people are all visiting your page. It is a small percent of the total active internet users, so revenue should decline with less than 1% I believe.

The question I get from this is: if you see a revenue drop of let's say more than 10% and then make sure you won't show a blank page with ad blockers, will the rev get back up with 10%? I am curious if anyone experienced this.

For me, it would be surprising if ad blockers really take away more than a few percent of the revenue. For Facebook and Google this is obviously a big deal since a few percent is really a lot to them, but for parked pages, I assume it is mostly not that big of a deal (although any money loss is not ideal obviously)

This is all very interesting data, but still no one has been able to answer my question:

If people are going to the trouble of installing adblocker software, what makes you think they'll start clicking on ads if you bypass the blocker?

You need to realize that so many things are blocked by adblock by default even basic elements on sites that they mistake for ads.

People do not download adblock because a godaddy parking page destroyed their surfing experience. You have to understand the mindset as to what is getting the users mad.

There are many innocent victims in this adblock game.

•••
You need to realize that so many things are blocked by adblock by default even basic elements on sites that they mistake for ads.

People do not download adblock because a godaddy parking page destroyed their surfing experience. You have to understand the mindset as to what is getting the users mad.

There are many innocent victims in this adblock game.

Maybe I'm not understanding... The concern is parking revenues being affected by adblock, right? If people are installing adblock, then common sense would dictate that the last thing they want to do is click on an ad from a parking page. Right? Am I out to lunch?

•••
Actually, when most people install adblock it's not to stop from seeing ads on their normal site, it's to stop some of the crazy sites that have 1000 ads on them. I would bet money you probably have only ever had one person ever see a parked domain and say, I need an ad blocker now! :)

Donny

•••
Actually, when most people install adblock it's not to stop from seeing ads on their normal site, it's to stop some of the crazy sites that have 1000 ads on them. I would bet money you probably have only ever had one person ever see a parked domain and say, I need an ad blocker now! :)

Donny

Okay, that makes sense. But if those people didn't have adblock, would they be clicking on parking page ads (that are otherwise blocked for them)?

•••
Even if we assume adblock is hindering parking revenue, it happens only for certain parking companies. Afaik it blocks Godaddy and Sedo, while DNS, Bodis, Voodoo and others are displaying ads regardless of adblock.

•••
Yes this is an issue depending on where you park. I noticed for my names that are parked and for sale that ABP also stops the "for sale" link from displaying. So I either get a white blank page or legacy page with no sale link.
Now I am building custom landing pages instead that cannot be blocked (so far with my test even my banner ad insert is not blocked by ABP.)

•••
Even if we assume adblock is hindering parking revenue, it happens only for certain parking companies. Afaik it blocks Godaddy and Sedo, while DNS, Bodis, Voodoo and others are displaying ads regardless of adblock.

Depending on the format I noticed that Bodis is indeed affected by ABP. I haven't tested it on a lot of browsers or with different plugins - just the one I use a majority of the time so far.

Edit to add: If it's setup for Escrow sale page with Bodis directly ABP does not seem to affect it all.

Last edited:
•••
Depending on the format I noticed that Bodis is indeed affected by ABP. I haven't tested it on a lot of browsers or with different plugins - just the one I use a majority of the time so far.

Edit to add: If it's setup for Escrow sale page with Bodis directly ABP does not seem to affect it all.

I have ABP on Chrome and I can see the ads on Bodis parking pages. But regardless of the specificity of setups, the point is:

Some parking companies are in the adblock acceptable ads system.

So @AEProgram , what do you say about the following solution: if your parking revenue is indeed hindered by the AdBlock users, you should simply move to the parking companies that work well with Adblock.

•••
Has anyone noticed a huge drop in CTR at PC? Are they testing some new templates or anything? Cause my CTR dropped from steady 13-14% to 7-8 in the last 7 days or so.

•••
I have ABP on Chrome and I can see the ads on Bodis parking pages. But regardless of the specificity of setups, the point is:

So @AEProgram , what do you say about the following solution: if your parking revenue is indeed hindered by the AdBlock users, you should simply move to the parking companies that work well with Adblock.
I don't just think about myself, its a nasty habbit I picked up, I know its very not human like, thats why I felt the urge to alert others.

•••
@decades80 I had a bad time of it on Friday (27th) was wondering what was going on - down maybe a third on ctr % but overall traffic seemed low as well. I was going to drop them a note but the past couple of days it seems kind of back to normal. Did support tell you anything?

•••
Has anyone noticed a huge drop in CTR at PC? Are they testing some new templates or anything? Cause my CTR dropped from steady 13-14% to 7-8 in the last 7 days or so.

.. they bought another parking company ....

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back