Dynadot

question If there was a magazine...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeh cause swiping bacteria-ridden cancer-causing glass is so much cleaner. Let me tell you something that glass lovers will never understand nor enjoy: seeing an old coffee stain on the pages of your favorite book or magazine, remembering how mildly annoying it was but now a fond part of the experience. How about the edges chewed by your first puppy, or a torn page by your kids as they were learning the yes's and no's..

I like real paper books, I began to read from 8 years old. I mean began read books in amount, not just read.
I read at least 1 book (250-300 pages) by day.
I read all our home biblioteca and we had a huge biblioteca at home.
I also visited public bibliotecs and too much time was just stealling books from there and paying fire for "lost" books.
I remember that old-paper smell of old books pages and also remember watermelon like smell of new child magazine with a lot of images I was recieving each month.
I rememeber a huge joy of discover a new bunch of old books...
I read adventure books, historic books, science fiction and just fiction books, travel books, world-wide folklore books and mithology, child books, dictionaries, enciclopedies of all kinds, books with museums pictures and statues, I read bigraphies of famous-person-series... etc...
My sister never was interested in any book, so all those books were mine, and just mine... All for me...
After we moved I just keeped my favorite children books, adventures and scient fiction books and my first school books and of couse my collection of pre-columbian mexican culture books, total around 200 books, they are very old now but smell fantastic.. They smell my childhood.. That time when all was so magic and seamed to be possible in the future.. Travels.., I was dreaming travelling arund the world..

But now I move from one place to another one, and books weight so much and it is impossible to take all of them with me.
So, I have around 90k downloaded books on my sd card of my mobile.
I dont need move tons of books from one place to another, I dont need light to read them at night or in transport.
I have tons of books in my pocket.

But I keep at home my old 200 books from my childhood...

PS: My samsung is used just by me, so all bacteries living on its glass are mine, not from somebody else :) By the way, I clean it a few times during the day... so dont think it has so much of them...

Last edited:
•••
I mean library...
Biblioteca = Library.
I always confused between spanish and english words :(

•••
This actually sparked an idea for me as well. I've been holding DomainNamesSold.com for a while trying to do something with it thats not being done. The domain would be perfect to list domain names that have been sold but Namebio does that perfectly already. But give away free Domaining Magazines and make money from advertisements within the magazine, is not a bad idea or charge a few dollars for the magazine itself.

•••
While you guys are debating I've already published my magazine, 1 billion subscribers and counting!

20170908_200630.jpg

•••
•••
you still read real paper magazines or books??!
Yeah, I just love the book smell.
Even though there's a PDF of everyone of these books, I still rather read them on actual paper tbh.

•••
Domainers are so cheap that if the magazine was a buck ,they would search an hour for a
.99 cent coupon
10735193_1496429907289834_1888578601_a.jpg

Last edited:
•••
•••
Domainers are so cheap that if the magazine was a buck ,they would search an hour for a .99 cent coupon

And then after perusing it for an hour, ask the newstand guy for a "Grace Delete" refund!

•••
It all depends on the quality of the content.

I think we already have the purest content at namePros forums.

•••
I used to get that and enjoyed reading it, To be honest I think it is a great idea, there is almost no outreach for non domainers, once copies flood the countryside, they would start showing up at doctors and dentists offices, so instead of reading a 30 year old" womans day " could be interesting reading. You could charge domainers 10 bucks a want add(for sale) etc
Joe T

•••
Nope, they make wordpress website for that haha.

•••
•••
As domains are a web - based matter, a printed magazine doesn't make really sense in the long run.
It would be like a online - magazine about how you can avoid using the web.

Last edited:
•••
As domains are a web - based matter, a printed magazine doesn't make really sense in the long run.
It would be like a online - magazine about how you can avoid using the web.

Don't agree but an interesting comment!

Last edited:
•••
The downside with the paper magazine was that many news were old news - I had already read about them on blogs months ago. So it's true that a large portion of the content was outdated.

•••
The up side of a printed magazine is if you tell the elite members of the domain community you will feature them on the cover of the magazine, they might actually sit down with you and do an interview.

But really a printed magazine would need a different approach than what can be had at NP and Twitter...etc to be successful. Like more intimate and letting guard down interviews, and wider thinking. And since the average daily forum going member would rather have four or five extra hand reg domains in their port than purchase a magazine subscription, the targeted population would have to be more skewed to the type of people that tend to go to domain conferences.

But a magazine telling domainers how to search for NNNNN,coms and what coupon codes to use and how to email end users. will get dusted by NP. Better to have an online news letter.

•••
I like real paper books, I began to read from 8 years old. I mean began read books in amount, not just read.
I read at least 1 book (250-300 pages) by day.
I read all our home biblioteca and we had a huge biblioteca at home.
I also visited public bibliotecs and too much time was just stealling books from there and paying fire for "lost" books.
I remember that old-paper smell of old books pages and also remember watermelon like smell of new child magazine with a lot of images I was recieving each month.
I rememeber a huge joy of discover a new bunch of old books...
I read adventure books, historic books, science fiction and just fiction books, travel books, world-wide folklore books and mithology, child books, dictionaries, enciclopedies of all kinds, books with museums pictures and statues, I read bigraphies of famous-person-series... etc...
My sister never was interested in any book, so all those books were mine, and just mine... All for me...
After we moved I just keeped my favorite children books, adventures and scient fiction books and my first school books and of couse my collection of pre-columbian mexican culture books, total around 200 books, they are very old now but smell fantastic.. They smell my childhood.. That time when all was so magic and seamed to be possible in the future.. Travels.., I was dreaming travelling arund the world..

But now I move from one place to another one, and books weight so much and it is impossible to take all of them with me.
So, I have around 90k downloaded books on my sd card of my mobile.
I dont need move tons of books from one place to another, I dont need light to read them at night or in transport.
I have tons of books in my pocket.

But I keep at home my old 200 books from my childhood...

PS: My samsung is used just by me, so all bacteries living on its glass are mine, not from somebody else :) By the way, I clean it a few times during the day... so dont think it has so much of them...
It was heartening to read this by you, and frankly I was surprised, as initially I did not think to see this sort of appreciation coming from you based on previous comments.

As for having to tote hundred of books around vs conveniently stored on a memory stick or device, totally get that.

•••
The downside with the paper magazine was that many news were old news - I had already read about them on blogs months ago. So it's true that a large portion of the content was outdated.

in contrast,
the upside of that "old news" is that it was "new news" then, and a lot of it is still applicable today, since many of the "new news" predictions back then, have yet to manifest themselves or have failed from launch.

they can serve as reference points to track progression and/or demise of those in the news then, versus now.

the rhetoric, propaganda or opinions given then, versus what those same people "who and if" they are still in business, are saying today.

and one of the biggest downsides of an online blog or online magazine is, it can be taken down, hacked, edited or content removed and there's nothing you can do about it.

but with hard-copy magazines, what was said at time of printing stays there, until the paper deteriorates.

:)

imo....

•••
I like the idea and I think it could be done. You could do a little bit about domaining news but most of it would have to have other interesting sections not really found online like:
  • in depth features into certain words e.g. Crypto - do a feature into all the sales, what companies are using them, available names, values etc...
  • Domainer comics, I could do a few quite easily
  • A serialisation of a novel featuring a domainer involved in a murder mystery or trying to unlock a shill bidding scam and gets his family killed or something!(I am sure there are a few budding writers here no Namepros) you could do a chapter an issue
  • Old stories - get some old timers(or anyone) to tell there never before heard stories on great buys, bad registrars, annoying buyers, great sales etc...
  • Newbie corner, general info on how to succeed in the domain industry
  • whats hot section
  • and loads more....
BUT the problem is sponsors. And this industry is too small and too cheap to get consistent sponsors to back up the magazine, You might get a good few sponsors at first but when they stop and there's no one else to fill that gap.....then you're screwed and so is the mag

•••
I'd certainly be interested in this, I enjoy reading to give me eyes a rest from looking at a screen all day.

It's a great way to unwind.

•••
people will always buy anything as long profitable! if they can provide good information,new tricks, or something new to learn! or maybe interview from Big Dog, and they share their secret on that magazine! maybe someone will buy it! if the content only basic domaining, where to get $1 domain, which marketplace and etc, I don't think ppl will buy it!

you can see domain sherpa, bloomberg and etc. they interview big dog and make them share their tricks! and I am not surprised if many ppl subscribed and pay dollar every month!

if you want build domain magazine try to find out about domain sherpa, and think if you can beat their info! if you can, I am sure you can sell , or make ppl subscribed to your magazine! but if not it could be wasting your times :) not all ppl cheapskate like me! I am sure if you can provide good info, someone out there will pay money for it! :)

•••
if you want build domain magazine try to find out about domain sherpa, and think if you can beat their info!

since the magazine was published before shepa, then one can be published after.

as the standard was set, long before they came on the scene.

imo...

•••

It is hard to compete against online buzZ. Magazine is optional now a days, online is the preferred method of many. Saving tree in the process.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back