IT.COM

discuss Idea: GoDaddy Expiring Domains - Take One For Free, Give One Away

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
GoDaddy Expiring Domains - Take One For Free, Give One Away - Support your fellow domainers

How-An-Expired-Domain-Can-Bring-In-Good-Traffic-To-Your-Website.jpg

Do you have any domain names sitting at GoDaddy that you will not be renewing?

Why let HugeDomains and the likes suck them up (n)

Why let GoDaddy profit on your domains (n)

GoDaddy makes money on the domains when they go to expiring auctions and we as the domainers bid against each other to get them back. Companies like Huge Domains suck them up and the whole domaining industry suffers.

If you have no use for the domain, why not eliminate the middle man and give the domain to your fellow domainer.

Maybe we can use a central topic like this where anyone can post their expiring godaddy domains and allow other members to claim them for free.

I understand we can each make a topic for this but it would be nice to have a centralized area where we could keep track of all of them.

Additionally it would be nice if a mod could put this topic into a section where everyone can update their post at any time when the domains get claimed.

Thoughts about this by anyone?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You guys are not getting it exactly

I am not saying transfer away from godaddy..... the recipient of the domain can go anywhere they want.

We want to keep the domains out of godaddy auction hands. In other words, ok for a member to put to auction but godaddy gets all the domains if they sit at that registrar and they expire. They then send them to expiring auction and 100% of the profits stay at godaddy. If a member puts that domain on auction then the member gets 80% and godaddy only 20%.

You can give away any domains but we for sure want to keep all the ones sitting at godaddy to come back to domainer hands. Imagine all the free money godaddy gets when OUR domains expire.

That said a push of the domain then solves nothing because the recipiant (who gets it for free) may still not renew it. Therefore giving him the transfer code assures he has to renew it for at least a year effectively keeping it out of godaddy hands.

That said it can be applied to any domain at ANY registrar but it is especially important with domains at godaddy because that company is getting to be the monster in the room and soon they will call all the shots and dig deeper and deeper into our domaining business.

Together we can at least partially tame that giant by keeping some of the profits in our pockets.

That's a long spiel to mask the real intentions of this thread. Which is to remove GoDaddy's hands from the eventual expiry auction of a free domain. You/We don't have the weight to influence this in any material way.

Everybody knows that GoDaddy is the biggest registrar. Even beginner domainers know this, and WANT their domains at GoDaddy. It's got nothing to do with the 20% commission they will make either, if it EVER EVEN eventually sells if it drops. Any domain advertised will comeback into a domainers hands just by pushing it to their GoDaddy Account. Because most registrants at NP's are domainers. It sounds like you are trying to influence the outcome of a domain even after it has left your control. Giving somebody the Auth Code when they want the domain at GoDaddy isn't going to work.

Whilst I applaud the sentiment. This just isn't going to work. And certainly doesn't warrant a new forum just for this purpose. IMHO.

And we should be realistic in our expectations. If we as experienced domainers know the domain is worthless. Hence we are giving it away. It's 99.999% positive it's still going to be worthless in 1-2 years after it drops. And so we are talking peanuts to GoDaddy, even if the domain is again picked up in their closeout auctions.

Ok. You could say peanuts is peanuts, but mutiplied by 10,000 it could be a lot of money. But the number of domains is going to be peanuts. Let's be generous and say 100-200 a year. That's say 200 domains x $10 at auction + regfee = say $4k (being generous). You or I might lift our little finger for an additional $2-4K/year. But it won't influence GoDaddy's behaviour, 1 iota. So it's a pointless exercise.

Especially since it is adequately handled by the current forums.

Last edited:
•••
Stub.... true intention is in first post and of course we won't put godaddy out of business and that is not the intention either. They serve a useful purpose but I will try one more time to summarize it.

Our domains drop and godaddy gets the auction profit.

We give our expiring domains away free to another member

That member can list at auction and most profits go to him.

Majority of profit stays in our community and contributes to our renewal funds.

The odd domain might even retail for a lucky domainer

Don't overthink it, just understand when we allow a godaddy domain to expire nobody profits but godaddy. If a member gets it for free and sells it either at auction or retail then the profit stays in our community.

As far as 100-200 a year goes I can guarantee you I know a few domainers giving up and they can give away hundreds of domains instead of letting them drop. Sure some deserve to be dropped but we can cherry pick because in most portfolios there are a few gems.

So yes I do want to keep some of the profits here. Will it hurt godaddy? Probably not and that is not the main objective. My objective is to make sure we have establish our own marketplace for expiries, regardless of how small that may or may not be and to keep the funds in the hands of the domainers instead of the big billion dollar corporations.

We need to be proactive and ask ourselves how we as domainers can give back to our own community to assure our profession flourishes into the future instead of being controlled by one company. Competition regardless of how small is good and this is at least a start.

•••
Stub.... true intention is in first post and of course we won't put godaddy out of business and that is not the intention either. They serve a useful purpose but I will try one more time to summarize it.

Our domains drop and godaddy gets the auction profit.

We give our expiring domains away free to another member

That member can list at auction and most profits go to him.

Majority of profit stays in our community and contributes to our renewal funds.

The odd domain might even retail for a lucky domainer

Don't overthink it, just understand when we allow a godaddy domain to expire nobody profits but godaddy. If a member gets it for free and sells it either at auction or retail then the profit stays in our community.

As far as 100-200 a year goes I can guarantee you I know a few domainers giving up and they can give away hundreds of domains instead of letting them drop. Sure some deserve to be dropped but we can cherry pick because in most portfolios there are a few gems.

So yes I do want to keep some of the profits here. Will it hurt godaddy? Probably not and that is not the main objective. My objective is to make sure we have establish our own marketplace for expiries, regardless of how small that may or may not be and to keep the funds in the hands of the domainers instead of the big billion dollar corporations.

We need to be proactive and ask ourselves how we as domainers can give back to our own community to assure our profession flourishes into the future instead of being controlled by one company. Competition regardless of how small is good and this is at least a start.

As I said. I applaud the sentiment. I actually dislike GoDaddy immensely. If NP's decides to open up a forum for this, if I ever have any GoDaddy domains to give away. I would use it. But unfortunately these are few and far between, for me, because I don't keep my portfolio at GoDaddy. But IMHO, this doesn't warrant a new forum to me. If you want to do this now. You can just use the available Free Domain Names forum. I don't see this as requiring another forum. Why is nobody using this Free Domain Names forum for this already? Could you please explain why this requires a separate forum?

A correction to my last post. I said 100-200 domains a year at best. I meant a month. So multiply 2-4k by 12, to get the annual total. But it's still isn't enough to get some clerk to pick up a pencil at GoDaddy (either for or against this proposal).

I think the single biggest point of failure to your plan is trying to force the recipient to transfer out of GoDaddy. Most domainers/end-users have a strange fascination for GoDaddy. They only have a GoDaddy account to push to. The domainers like them because end-users, who have no idea about or how to judge a quality registrar, trust them because they are the biggest registrar on the planet. For no other reason. Name Recognition. I think this plan will not get any traction if you insist on the domain must be transferred out of GoDaddy.

** Deleted my opinion of GoDaddy, as being irrelevant to the topic in hand **, ** too many cusswords ** :)

Last edited:
•••
PS: My free GoDaddy domain which I advertised in the Free Domain Names forum (see link above). Was snaffled up in just 9 minutes. How long has this thread been running?

One thing I learned about that transaction, which I would amend the next time. Would be to insist the recipient changed the domain whois info to themselves within 24hrs.

•••
@MapleDots - Could you please explain why this requires a separate forum?

•••
@MapleDots - Could you please explain why this requires a separate forum?

You need permanent editing rights and since it's a free giveaway it may get fairly big. Namepros handles the forum logistics and it has to be in the right section so you can have permanent editing.

•••
You need permanent editing rights and since it's a free giveaway it may get fairly big. Namepros handles the forum logistics and it has to be in the right section so you can have permanent editing.

OK. Why do you need permanent editing rights?

•••
I think entrusting members with permanent posting rights, could be open to abuse. I think there are pros and cons of having a permanent posting page, and not using the closed system to clear away old posts. You could have 100 (or more) permanent posting pages, with nothing actually being sold. For example.

But I'm still saying the idea won't fly if the receiver has to transfer the domain away from GoDaddy.

•••
You don't have to transfer from GoDaddy, don't know why you would think that.

Let's get some more feedback on how to implement, that is the topic now. Figure out what will work as opposed to what won't.

•••
You don't have to transfer from GoDaddy, don't know why you would think that.

Let's get some more feedback on how to implement, that is the topic now. Figure out what will work as opposed to what won't.

Whats the point of the transfer code for if you are not transferring away from GoDaddy? You just push the domain directly into their GoDaddy Account?

•••
I discussed that a few posts back. That decision has not been made and I only suggested it to assure the free domain is actually renewed.

A transfer has to be renewed and a push does not. So if 2 people want the domain the guy that gets it could still drop it after the push and the other person loses out. A forced renewal would assure only people really wanting the domain would claim it.

•••
Technically I would not care who gets my domains and I would post them with transfer codes on first come first serve..

•••
I read that post. So the dropper can provide the auth code and provide that to the recipient, who can use it to transfer it to his GoDaddy Account. Is that correct? I can understand this would renew the domain at GoDadddy. If that works.

•••
Yup exactly, or you can post the domain with code to anyone that wants it. You could pick the end user or offer a first come first serve by posting the codes.

•••
And whoever picked it up can transfer it to GoDaddy, even if it is already with GoDaddy?

I don't favor posting the auth code openly. I think you should only give the auth code to whoever wins the domain. You might have 30 people trying to use the authcode to transfer the domain. Causing mass confusion when the authcode doesn't work any more. I think this should be an orderly process. So I would be opposed to openly posting the auth code, for more than 1 person to try to use.

Yes they can stay or be at any registrar, there is no mandate to remove from godaddy. The only thing we want is to keep the domain in domainer hands instead of falling into godaddy hands. You could post any expiring domain from any registrar.

Posting the codes would be up to each member. I personally could not be bothered asking who wins my expiries. I would simply say.... here you go whoever wants it.

You could do what you see fit, it would be up to each person to decide.

•••
•••
You know you have "made it" when TheDomains picks up your NamePros thread.

•••
Yes they can stay or be at any registrar, there is no mandate to remove from godaddy. The only thing we want is to keep the domain in domainer hands instead of falling into godaddy hands. You could post any expiring domain from any registrar.

Posting the codes would be up to each member. I personally could not be bothered asking who wins my expiries. I would simply say.... here you go whoever wants it.

You could do what you see fit, it would be up to each person to decide.

I think that sounds like you don't care about all the anguish you might be causing fellow members. We are all in this together. We should have open communications.

•••
I'm trying hard to answer your questions, how the does giving away of free domains to other members imply anguish?

You would be free to give them away as you see fit, I don't know how else to answer your questions.

Let a few more people toss in some ideas because this is a discussion and not something simply implemented by me. We will come up with a scenario that is positive for the member base.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back