Dynadot

ICANN Paves Way For Hundreds of New Domain Extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ICANN threatens to change the rules of the domain name game. Danger, Danger, Danger!!

You may have already heard of it, but just in case:

"You may be used to typing in top-level domains (TLDs) like .com, .net or .edu when heading to websites, but the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) hopes to change that with a decision to open new TLDs for registration, according to today’s Wall Street Journal.

Under the new rule, ICANN would let anyone with $50,000 to $100,000 to register any TLD they want, so for example, our web address could become venture.beat, rather than venturebeat.com.

The WSJ has more on what the decision may mean for regular consumers and businesses, but there are also a couple ways that it could change the Internet landscape for startups — most notably, domain speculators like Demand Media and Marchex (NASDAQ: MCHX).

Those companies, and other speculators, have plowed billions of dollars into millions of hot domain names, sometimes backed by high-profile investors like Oak Investment Partners or, for Marchex, public shareholders. The idea is generally to buy up lots of obvious domain names, like business.com, which holds the sales record at $350 million. Most good names that are auctioned get less, but still routinely receive six figures.

Those domains are worth so much because of a kind of traffic called type-in traffic, which is distinct from search traffic from Google or linked traffic. Right now, if a web surfer — especially an unsavvy one — wants to find, say, exchange rates, they might type exchangerates.com in hopes of finding an exchange calculator (they’d be disappointed).

Although the strategies of the two companies are different (Marchex, notably, wants to build out a locality-based content business), they both hinge on one crucial factor: The dominant TLDs, primarily .com, continuing to be the first thing people type in when they’re looking for something, whether it’s exchange rates or Disney.com. So what happens if ICANN manages to reeducate Internet users, and popularize sales of new TLDs?

The simple answer is that a lot of speculators will lose a lot of their own, and their investors’ money. While Demand and Marchex might be able to build up viable content portals around sites like chicagodoctors.com, the money they plowed into those names will be meaningless — as well spent on chicago.docs or chicago.dr, or any other name you can imagine. The game will become even more about search, type-ins traffic will wither.

There’s a strong counter-argument to ICANN’s action having any real affect on .com, though. There are already dozens of top-level domains, but they are thinly used, even purposed ones like .mobi (for mobile phones). The introduction of more TLDs over the years has not seen sales of hot domains diminish, which by extension probably means speculators are making as much as ever. In a recent post on his blog, legendary domainer Frank Schilling said he’s confident in .com:

“[T]his will do little to quell the desire for meaningful .com, net and CC TLD names. Corporate IT departments overwhelmed by the task of managing existing .com typos simply won’t be up to the challenge of managing a corporate GTLD such as .COKE or .IBM. … The failure of former would-be contenders such as .travel, .biz and .pro to satiate demand for coveted names, shows us that adding more skim milk to the mix will not stop the cream from rising, and that cream is .com.” (Schilling’s emphasis.)

That may hold true, or it may be that ICANN has finally found a way to shift attention from .com, with the possibility for new TLDs that are actually meaningful or logical.

And a final argument is that it does seem unreasonable that 10 or 15 years from now, we’ll still be typing .com in for every major website. The Internet is a place of rapid change, and at some point, .com will start seeming archaic and unnecessary. But any real change would require a massive re-engineering of the web’s user-interface, at the very least, so it’s hard to imagine what those changes might be from here."

so what do you think? Is it the start of the end of the .com domains

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ICANN Paves Way For Hundreds or Thousands of New Domain Extensions! Your Thoughts?

Internet Org Paves Way For Hundreds of New Domains

Quote From AP via Yahoo News:

By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer, AP, NEW YORK - The Internet's key oversight agency relaxed rules Thursday to permit the introduction of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of new Internet domain names to join ".com," making the first sweeping changes in the network's 25-year-old addressing system.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers unanimously approved the new guidelines on the final day of weeklong meetings in Paris. ICANN also voted unanimously to open public comment on a separate proposal to permit addresses entirely in non-English languages for the first time.

End of Quote

Link To The Full News Article: Internet Org Paves Way For Hundreds of New Domains

Other Related Links:

.confusion: ICANN Opens Up Pandora's Box Of New TLDs

View Of Ron Jackson Of DNJournal

What do you think will be the impact of this to the whole domain industry and to your personal domaining business?

Last edited:
•••
DomainExplorer said:
Internet Org Paves Way For Hundreds of New Domains

Quote From AP via Yahoo News:

By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer
AP, NEW YORK - The Internet's key oversight agency relaxed rules Thursday to permit the introduction of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of new Internet domain names to join ".com," making the first sweeping changes in the network's 25-year-old addressing system.

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers unanimously approved the new guidelines on the final day of weeklong meetings in Paris. ICANN also voted unanimously to open public comment on a separate proposal to permit addresses entirely in non-English languages for the first time.

Full Article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080626...ernet_names;_ylt=AiH67Zn1oz12YPCgJuyG50.s0NUE

What do you think will be the impact of this to the whole domain industry and to your personal domaining business?

Domain names help computers find Web sites and route e-mail. Adding new suffixes can make it easier for Web sites to promote easy-to-remember names — given that many of the best ones have been claimed already under ".com." New names could cover locations such as ".nyc" and ".berlin" or industries such as ".bank."

Game Over for many premium domain holders

... .COM worth has just been devalued ... the internet is getting catalogued.

:)

•••
cosmicray said:
Domain names help computers find Web sites and route e-mail. Adding new suffixes can make it easier for Web sites to promote easy-to-remember names — given that many of the best ones have been claimed already under ".com." New names could cover locations such as ".nyc" and ".berlin" or industries such as ".bank."

.COM always has been the standard and always will be the standard. Why would a million worthless extensions do any better than .BIZ?

99% of people on the internet have only heard of COM/NET/ORG..You really think they are going to be bothered to learn tons of new obscure extensions.

•••
bmugford said:
.COM always has been the standard and always will be the standard. Why would a million worthless extensions do any better than .BIZ?

99% of people on the internet have only heard of COM/NET/ORG..You really think they are going to be bothered to learn tons of new obscure extensions.

.berlin, .rome won't exactly be obscure ... Game Over for many premium geos.

•••
cosmicray said:
.berlin, .rome won't exactly be obscure ... Game Over for many premium geos.

I would rather have Rome.com, Rome.net, or Rome.org over WHATEVER.ROME anyday.

It really matters how Google will index these. If they are indexed the same way as other obscure extensions, then it will be irrelevant.

•••
Now I feel .me is worthless. I won't buy any .me domain names.

•••
My understanding is one of the problems finding new domain exts is the pre-existance of file extensions of the same name, ie .xls

http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=^B

Assuming they've figured out how to solve this confusion, I can understand their logic because this would be a licence to print money for ICANN and those that can afford to pay the setup fee for the big generic keywords, imagine winning the right to set up .sex, .mortgage, .insurance, etc etc.

•••
bmugford said:

Agreed, in the last 24 hours...
587,673 new .coms registered
1,857 new .biz registered

.com is the #1 choice. It has world-wide appeal and recognition in just about every language as being synonomous with internet success. Everyone wants one, however, not everyone can have one. Thus, as the internet grows they need to keep adding more extensions to placate those people who arrive late to the internet scene and find that their name has been registered for years. This secondary marketplace is what has led to the current 200+ extensions and within a few years possibly thousands of new extensions. However, it would be extremely difficult to usurp the power of the .com with another TLD as most words are very limiting and an overabundance of TLD's will only create confusion.

For example, if I were a store called Advanced Computer Distributors and offered computer sales, parts and service would I choose .computersales, .computerrepair .computer, .computers, .pc, .pcsupplies, .cheapcomputers, .discountcomputers, .computerparts, , .computerservice, .electronics, .speedyrepair, .pcwholesaleparts, etc., etc..

Or, would I just choose a multi-purpose .com which would be much cheaper, easier for my customer's to type and remember, shorter for advertising purposes, and, placed most of the emphasis on the name of my business rather than an extra word in the TLD, etc...

•••
In the foreseeable future every company that can afford it will have its own extn eg. home.microsoft, home.msft, home.apple etc
Since microsoft already has the .com, it would merely redirect to, say, <word>.microsoft URL

This would certainly put a stop to typo squatting as well as someone else having a keyword it wants eg live.microsoft etc

It's a shockwave waiting to happen - especially given many domainers never think will happen.

That simple.

•••
its nothing but greed from a ICANN standpoint... if you pay us enough you can have pretty much anything you want.

•••
cosmicray said:

The domain itself is already advertised. People just automatically put .com at the end. If that happens to not be the site they either do a search or put .net.

So in order to "BRAND" a new extension you will have to invest millions maybe even billions of dollars in to it to actually make an impact on the .com. Its just like .name, .biz, .pro, .aero, .cat, .coop, .int, .jobs, .museum, .tel, and .travel that have basically failed. I bet most of the people here didnt even know .jobs was an extension or .tel or .travel for that matter.

What makes everyone think that ANOTHER extension will hurt .com? IMO just another ploy to get newbies to blow their money on useless extensions.

•••
•••
It's never going to happen...

ICANN would have lawsuits up their behind and we all know they only do things they think will make them or their bed buddies (Verisign) money which would put this to a standstill pretty fast when the lawsuits start pouring in.

•••
major corps. could get their own registrars. It would separate them from regular domain owners, and there would be no risk of typos.

.Microsoft

Jobs.Microsoft
www.microsoft or web.microsoft or Homepage.microsoft

Or say you wanted to start a web2.0 company, what would be the ultimate domain hack? whatever you want it to be

something.something

Real.Estate

It would seperate the haves from the have nots.

Last edited:
•••
Outside of .XXX or .SEX I am not even sure why anyone would want their own personal failed extension.

•••
Tivo said:
The domain itself is already advertised. People just automatically put .com at the end. If that happens to not be the site they either do a search or put .net.

So in order to "BRAND" a new extension you will have to invest millions maybe even billions of dollars in to it to actually make an impact on the .com. Its just like .name, .biz, .pro, .aero, .cat, .coop, .int, .jobs, .museum, .tel, and .travel that have basically failed. I bet most of the people here didnt even know .jobs was an extension or .tel or .travel for that matter.

What makes everyone think that ANOTHER extension will hurt .com? IMO just another ploy to get newbies to blow their money on useless extensions.

I am a domainer and haven't heard of half those extensions ;)

•••
I guess I will start a .poker extension

•••
Yep and cybersquatters will rejoice once again when .microsoft, .google, .etc become available for registration. No. A disaster waiting to happen which will obviously never be followed through with.

ICANN does a lot of talk, but very little action to back that up. Where are the 1 letter .coms which were proposed to be release how many years ago?

Sidenote: why are there 3 threads on the same topic :?

bmugford said:
Outside of .XXX or .SEX I am not even sure why anyone would want their own personal failed extension.

•••
quality said:
I guess I will start a .poker extension

You will need 2 things.

1. money
2. contacts at ICANN

This is only for the rich to get richer.

Poor people need not apply. :]

•••
this seems like a way for them to make more money off of reg fee's and i doubt it will have much impact at all on the market for premium .com's

•••
cosmicray said:
You will need 2 things.

1. money
2. contacts at ICANN

This is only for the rich to get richer.

Poor people need not apply. :]

Actually I think the reverse happens. The rich get poorer if they buy into this hype.

•••
bmugford said:
Actually I think the reverse happens. The rich get poorer if they buy into this hype.

I wouldn't bet against the rich. :]

•••
These are almost like domain hacks. This will make my domain Terdam.com obsolete. Now my subdomain hack of Ams.terdam.com will be ruined by Ams.Terdam...lol..this is just a joke. By popular demand, a bunch of more obscure worthless extensions!

•••
You should reference the article source. I have a feeling they are complete morons when it comes to domaining. Probably some newspaper that doesn't specialize in IT.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back