NameSilo

ICANN move on GoDaddy lockdown

Spaceship
Watch
Finally..

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/04/08/0349253.shtml

"ICANN is finally taking action against Domain Registrar GoDaddy's controversial 'lockdowns'. GoDaddy has long had a policy of 'locking down' domain names for 60 days after a customer updated their contact details. This put customers in a Catch 22 position: ICANN requires customers keep their contact details up to date, or risk having the domain forfeited. Yet during the lockdown period the customer is prevented from transferring the domain from GoDaddy to another registrar. If the lockdown ran over the domain's expiry date, customers were forced to renew with GoDaddy or lose the domain. ICANN proposes to ban this practice. ICANN who is charged with overseeing the Internet has long been accused of giving domain registrars a free ride. But recently after ICANN failed to discipline Network Solutions over a front-running scam, they found themselves both on the wrong end of a lawsuit by lawyers Kabateck Brown Kellner. Is ICANN's action a signal of increased vigilance in policing registrars, or is it a PR move paving the way for a complete removal of US Government oversight?"

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good. It is about time ICANN started being proactive.

Godaddy are essentially penalizing people for doing something they are meant to do.

•••
The lockdown protects both owners and buyers of domain names
and i am totally in favor of it.

•••
The lockdown is nonsense and is against ICANN rules...always has been. There is already a 5 day wait period for any transfer-out. Too often I buy a GD domain with LESS than 2 months before it expires..I have no option but to renew it at Godaddy and that's where the wrong-doing occurs. Godaddy has used this rule to basically stranglehold domains.

•••
Play by the rules

people often decide to sell near the renewal date. The 60 days is a total pain when Godaddy has higher fees than other companies.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back