IT.COM

advice I want Constructive Criticism on a Direct Mailing I'm going to do

NameSilo
Watch

BigElliot650

Impact
Hello, my name is Elliot and I'm about to try to sell 225+ quality Geo Domain Names I own to local businesses. I will be direct mailing local business envelopes in the mail to try and accomplish this. I wanted to write this posting in order to receive constructive criticism about the method that I am going to be using. I'm new to the game of Geo Domaining and wanted to receive input on how to improve from other more knowledgeable people.

In the following example I will be attempting to sell the domain kansascitytattoos.com to a Kansas City tattoo parlor business owner named John Doe who is currently using the domain johndoetattoos.com.

1.) I will be direct mailing using blue-colored envelopes that I will address with my own handwriting. At the bottom on the front of the envelope I will write: "kansascitytattoos.com VS. johndoetattoos.com" - I will write this in order to spark their interest of opening the letter. I will hand address it while addressing it to John Doe and addressing it from Elliot Holt in order to make the letter seem more personal to increase the chances of them opening it up.
2.) I will get a commercial mailing rate permit from the USPS and use standard mail to keep my postage rates down. I will use physical stamps on the envelopes instead of a metered-mark to make the outside of the envelope seem more personal and less business related.
3.) The actual Sales Letter will appear like this:

kansascitytattoos.com is currently being offered for sale from Elliot Holt off of the domain registrar godaddy.com for the price of $400.00.
kansascitytattoos.com has many advantages over your current domain name:
  • kansascitytattoos.com commands respect and makes potential customers think you are an authority in field of tattoos. Potential customers searching on the internet are much more likely to click on a business with an Exact Match Domain like kansascitytattoos.com.
  • kansascitytattoos.com is much easier for customers to remember then your current domain name.
  • kansascitytattoos.com will improve your websites rankings on various search engines when people type in the phrase: Kansas City tattoos
  • kansascitytattoos.com will most likely get clicked on a lot more frequently then your current domain name when it comes to pay-per-click campaigns like Google Adwords and your pay-per-click advertising will be much more efficient with a domain name like this one.
The process of switching Domains to kansascitytattoos.com is easy and doesn't harm your Internet Search Engine Rankings. To complete this sale please do the following:

[Right here in the Sales letter I intend to create a list of processes the customer must complete in order to purchase kansascitytattoos.com and then transfer it over to their web hosting company and then perform a 301 redirect in order to transfer their existing website over to the new domain name.]

If you have any questions you are more then welcome to call me on my cell phone at: __________________________ or e-mail me back at:______________________________.

Sincerely,
Elliot Holt
[I will include my handwritten signature here]

4.) Please reply back to this post with constructive comments on how I could complete this process better.

-Sincerely,
Elliot Holt

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1.) I will be direct mailing using blue-colored envelopes that I will address with my own handwriting. At the bottom on the front of the envelope I will write: "kansascitytattoos.com VS. johndoetattoos.com" - I will write this in order to spark their interest of opening the letter. I will hand address it while addressing it to John Doe and addressing it from Elliot Holt in order to make the letter seem more personal to increase the chances of them opening it up.

I would probably avoid that wording. That sounds more like a legal matter than a business opportunity.

Brad

•••
kansascitytattoos.com is currently being offered for sale from Elliot Holt off of the domain registrar godaddy.com for the price of $400.00.
kansascitytattoos.com has many advantages over your current domain name:

I would personally prefer the domain written as KansasCityTattoos.com. I think it looks a lot better that way.

[Right here in the Sales letter I intend to create a list of processes the customer must complete in order to purchase kansascitytattoos.com and then transfer it over to their web hosting company and then perform a 301 redirect in order to transfer their existing website over to the new domain name.]

I am not sure I would get into all the details. You can just say something like you will assist them with the process. Too much information is not always a good thing.

Brad

•••
kansascitytattoos.com will most likely get clicked on a lot more frequently then your current domain name
Don't slag off their existing domain.

You might be talking to the person that chose it :xf.smile:

•••
Compliment his business, domain, and website too at the beginning.

•••
I will be direct mailing

Not a bad idea...I've done this for years (not that I am super special at marketing but this is an old method from the birth of the net and domaining).

It works for a percentage of sales/contacts, but when considering the ridiculous amount charged for postage and the time you invest in generating the lead/proposal/posting, it is usually a losing proposition when looking at the long term averages. It is slightly better than parking and waiting for them to find you over the course of 3-5 years, but not by much (my experience...of course others may vary).

•••
1. Drop the " vs " statement - if I received a USPS letter like that I wouldn't take the name for free and my opinion of the sender would be negative.

2. Avoid minimizing his current domain name in comparison to your domain -
" kansascitytattoos.com has many advantages over your current domain name ".

Rather I might state to the effect - KansasCityTattoos.com offers " your business/ any KC tattoo business " many advantages with potential new customers and with search engines" .

3. The customer doesn't have to " switch names " - although they surely can - the customer can utilize both names, the " new name " can be purchased and then " pointed or re-directed " to his current website.

4. If appropriate, you might mention to the recipient that you are offering him the name first, prior to offering to other tattoo parlors and perhaps create an urgency with a " reply / respond by " date.

•••
Looks great. 225 is a lot of work.
I would:
1) Looks like name is at Godaddy, I would mention Godaddy in email....helps build confidence/trust.
2) Camel case the names as Brad mentioned. Names are much more impressive with Camel Casing.
3) Eliminate the PROCESS paragraph, too much info. If you mention Godaddy, that will help.
4) Mention Text as well.

Good luck and have fun with it. This easily could open up more doors than you realize.

•••
Not a bad idea...I've done this for years (not that I am super special at marketing but this is an old method from the birth of the net and domaining).

It works for a percentage of sales/contacts, but when considering the ridiculous amount charged for postage and the time you invest in generating the lead/proposal/posting, it is usually a losing proposition when looking at the long term averages. It is slightly better than parking and waiting for them to find you over the course of 3-5 years, but not by much (my experience...of course others may vary).

I will be using the services of Virtual Assistants in the Philippines from onlinejobs.ph
You can hire full time Filipino VA's for only $4 an hour, ((I like to give them an extra buck
an hour though just to be nice). I will be using them to conduct all my research.

•••

Mister Funsky: do you sell GeoDomain Names like I do? What percentage of GeoDomains do you get sold after conducting an initial first round of mailings like I'm about to do? After I've conducted a first round of mailings with all my GeoDomain Names what do you propose that I do to get the rest of them sold?, (do you think my second step should be to do cold calling over the phone or to do an e-mail campaign?)

•••
I will be using the services of Virtual Assistants in the Philippines from onlinejobs.ph
You can hire full time Filipino VA's for only $4 an hour, ((I like to give them an extra buck
an hour though just to be nice). I will be using them to conduct all my research.

Outsourcing is something I have not taken advantage of but it is an interesting concept. It would be a great idea for a stand alone thread for you to share your experience as things progress over the next few weeks.

Mister Funsky: do you sell GeoDomain Names like I do? What percentage of GeoDomains do you get sold after conducting an initial first round of mailings like I'm about to do? After I've conducted a first round of mailings with all my GeoDomain Names what do you propose that I do to get the rest of them sold?, (do you think my second step should be to do cold calling over the phone or to do an e-mail campaign?)

Without any added detail (:xf.grin:) I do own a few geo domains and have had okay results over the years. I have always been a fan of geos but oddly, the general domain buyer often does not see the real value/benefit of owning a geo based name. EVERY one of my other business ventures uses a geo designation as part of its domain name.

Lots of reasons the general domain buyer seems to veer away from geo and no amount of explanation has ever made a significant change of heart. Time and marketing of these names can use more resources to achieve the same dollar income vs other non-geo names so I don't 'market' them as much as I used to (I can sell a low xxxx 'regular' domain for the same amount of time/effort as a geo in the xxx range).

Don't get me wrong, geo is a good niche to be in and I still snap up a good one when it drops and/or makes sense for whatever reason...in my case I get frustrated when I cant get but a third of what a geo should bring. The only advice I can offer is keep the name as short as possible...ie: AtlantaRoofer vs GreatAtlantaRoofer2020 (not my names, btw).

•••
Direct comparison is not appropriate, it may make buyers disgusted with your motivation. If it was me, I would tell him the potential traffic from the new name and provide proof that he would have desire rather than choice.IMO

•••
Good luck but think about first goal for them to contact you. Send something simple to start a discussion rather than ask them to make a decision. May not need to cap your income just yet you haven't tried.

•••
... what do tattoo artists really wish is artistname+tattoo.ext or nickname+tattoo.ext. The tattoo shops are more about the way to get the best-fit brand able names (f.e. WildlifeTattoo, RebelsTattoo, etc). The Kansas city tattoo convention might be interested in acquiring more than anyone but before you should learn more about the industry (be on the same page - speak their language).

Regards

•••
Get it tattooed across face then change your pic free advertising after cost of tattoo.

•••
Nice initiative. Good luck.

•••
I always put"Owning the best domain name for your business is equivalent to owning the best house in the neighbourhood "

•••
That strategy would be more effective when your first mail doesn't offer any domain or compare your domain to his domain. Some local company prefer to give their trust when they have connect with us , we have build strong relationship for long time . I usually sell domain based this method and finally closing the sale less than 1 month after recommend suitable domain for them.

•••
Back