IT.COM

question I think someone bought the domain I want at Goddady closeout auction, Is there still a way for me to get......?

NameSilo
Watch

-__-

Established Member
Impact
There is this domain I've been wanting to get, but I thought I could just wait until Godaddy release it(I know, I am so stupid). I saw that domain yesterday at closeout, it was $30.....Today, when I go to the Godaddy closeout site to check again, I couldn't find it anymore T__T, does that mean someone bought it? Is there still a way for me to get it now......?
Also, I have the same domain name with a "s" at the end, I was planning to create a website using this domain, but I am not sure if I should do this now, because setting up a website with the"s" domain might mean increasing value of the closeout domain, so there is even less chance for the new owner to release it next year, right? Should I postpone the project, and wait for a year to see if the new owner will release the domain next year?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
More than likely someone bought it. The only way to get it now is probably paying far more than they did.

There is not much difference between $50 and the price of a hand reg when it comes to a domain you are interested in.

As far as the project, I have no idea. I am surprised if you had a project in mind you didn't just pull the trigger instead of trying to save a few bucks.

Hopefully it is a lesson learned. The time to buy a domain is when you see it.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
There's a chance you can still get it.

Check the whois - did the whois change today? That means someone did pay to buy it, and it's gone now.

But if the whois hasn't changed, that means they only added it to their cart, but did not pay yet. In that case, the domain will be listed in the closeouts again shortly, and you can then buy it.

Regarding whether to postpone: Yes, sometimes buyers do let the domain expire the next year... but I think it's only a small percentage of cases.

It partly just depends on how good the domain is. If the domain is gone, another possibility is to check the whois next week and contact the new owner, and mention that you were going to buy it in closeouts (don't mention your other related domain though :) ).

If they're nice, they may work something out with you... whether to sell at a low price to get a quick profit. Or for example, maybe you can pay them what they paid, and also provide them with 2 similar quality sellable domains.

But of course, there's also a chance that a quick inquiry may lead them to think it's a very desirable domain, and set a high asking price and wait to see who else wants it. And then they would also almost certainly renew the domain too.

It depends on how good the domain is, and if the owner thinks others may want to buy the domain as well.

Last edited:
•••
If someone else has gotten it the worst thing to do is contact them. Wait to see if a lander and a price appears. You snooze you lose. If you weren’t willing or able to pay $30 you aren’t going to like the new price.

•••
More than likely someone bought it. The only way to get it now is probably paying far more than they did.

There is not much difference between $50 and the price of a hand reg when it comes to a domain you are interested in.

As far as the project, I have no idea. I am surprised if you had a project in mind you didn't just pull the trigger instead of trying to save a few bucks.

Hopefully it is a lesson learned. The time to buy a domain is when you see it.

Brad
It's just that Godaddy seems to have a bad reputation, so if possible, I don't really want to register my domain there(and now I regret it T__T)

•••
There's a chance you can still get it.

Check the whois - did the whois change today? That means someone did pay to buy it, and it's gone now.

But if the whois hasn't changed, that means they only added it to their cart, but did not pay yet. In that case, the domain will be listed in the closeouts again shortly, and you can then buy it.

Regarding whether to postpone: Yes, sometimes buyers do let the domain expire the next year... but I think it's only a small percentage of cases.

It partly just depends on how good the domain is. If the domain is gone, another possibility is to check the whois next week and contact the new owner, and mention that you were going to buy it in closeouts (don't mention your other related domain though :) ).

If they're nice, they may work something out with you... whether to sell at a low price to get a quick profit. Or for example, maybe you can pay them what they paid, and also provide them with 2 similar quality sellable domains.

But of course, there's also a chance that a quick inquiry may lead them to think it's a very desirable domain, and set a high asking price and wait to see who else wants it. And then they would also almost certainly renew the domain too.

It depends on how good the domain is, and if the owner thinks others may want to buy the domain as well.
it was updated a few hours ago, so I guess someone bought it then T__T.

I am not sure if it is a good domain, it is a 6 letter domain, a common word(4 letters) plus a part of my name(2 letters).

•••
it was updated a few hours ago, so I guess someone bought it then T__T.

I am not sure if it is a good domain, it is a 6 letter domain, a common word(4 letters) plus a part of my name(2 letters).

Not sure how closely you watched it... GD Closeout would be as low as $5 if no one bought it.... but my guess is if you contact the buyer, he might put a hefty price on it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back