Domain Empire

advice I think I messed up my first enduser sale

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Established Member
Impact
anyone had this happen to them

received a $7500 offer on my lander I responded back accepting the offer
he texted/emailed saying he wanted the domain badly and would call me the following day! he never did.

I checked the other ext they regged the .net.co.org.us.tech and .io not heard anything from them since.
the enduser looks to be a big corp and was the ceo who msged me.
should I remove my lander in case of (udrp) looks like they will use other ext now

was jumping around had spent the money in my head on gifts but in reality I couldn't close

really disappointed with myself

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Keep calm and be positive

Last edited:
•••
anyone had this happen to them

he texted/emailed saying he wanted the domain badly and would call me the following day! he never did.

I checked the other ext they regged the .net.co.org.us.tech and .io not heard anything from them since.
the enduser looks to be a big corp and was the ceo who msged me.
should I remove my lander in case of (udrp) looks like they will use other ext now

was jumping around had spent the money in my head on gifts but in reality I couldn't close

really disappointed with myself
Next time try to speak to them on the phone if you can before accepting their offer. Act a little hesitant to sell. Ask them if their offer comes with a guarantee of an immediate payment. If they say yes, get them to pay before you hang up the phone.

•••
Odds are they will contact you again. but with a lower offer

•••
I think you renew your domain for 2 or 3 years. Let's see what happens next.

•••
Double your offer if they contact you next time & renew it for 5 year.

•••
Most people would agree that you should never accept the 1st offer as the buyer will surely feel like they overpaid. A similar situation happened to me a number of years ago.

Try to stay positive as they probably will reach back out to you. The person is probably really busy. Just don't come across desperate in your follow ups with them.

•••
Save the emails you exchanged with this buyer, they should help in any possible udrp. But it sounds like he wants to buy it, not sue for it. Keep sending reminder emails to him.

•••
they prolly wanted to see if you would commit to a price, then they could gather up the other extensions and make you sweat

i'd do like others have said and renew the name for a few more years and sit back and wait.

do not contact them

see if they develop the names and check your stats for any increased traffic.

maintaining your leverage and composure is key

imo....

•••
Purchasing the other extensions before the .com was a smart move by them, I understood that they came to you with the offer and you accepted can't see any reason for a udrp! I expect they will call you again soon ! good luck

Last edited:
•••
You didnt mess up anything IMO..they will surely contact you soon

•••
I agree that you keep it, sit on it and raise the price if they come calling again. Do not contact them. Do not act overly interested or tell them you know about the other extensions. You need to be in the position holding the cards. If and when they do come back know this the dot com is worth all the other extensions put together especially if they are branding something.

•••
If any social media names matching the domain are available, grab them.

•••
I've liked what I agree with so no need to repeat that.

But why do you think you did something wrong? Based on what you wrote, you didn't. Boss up.

•••
The only thing he thinks he could have done wrong is jumping on the offer like a dog that found a bone. Didn't let the other party think he was mulling it over. An easy thing to do.

Last edited:
•••
Jumping on a offer makes the potiental buyer feel like he could have gotten it cheaper or that they offered too much. As others have advised now its time to play hard ball if they try and come back with a lower offer at that point. I would go higher and say that price was just at that time and you recieved another offer on the domain and if they are serious to increase there offer to 10k.

•••
Maybe, but if he wrote back happy about the offer being accepted.. It's more likely to be something else from the endless other possibilities

•••
Its not just writing back happy. it can be that there was no counter offer or replied too quickly.

The only reason we are talking about this is it's the only thing that the seller could have done to mess up the deal. The rest of the reasons (like the IT guy telling the boss it wasnt worth it) are on the buyers

•••
I wrote

thank you for the offer I accept

we can close via escrow.com

they have taken the social media accounts and now using the .net and .io are live pretty big technology site.

•••
its a waiting game now, if you keep pressing them they know they can cut you down on price. put it on the shelf and wait.

•••
Always worth checking the Trade Mark USTPO.gov database when a decent offer over around a couple of grand plus comes in. Just as a basic domainers process really. I'm UK based, so I'll always check both the UK and US database. This, providing you understand TradeMark rights, and more importantly Limitations will give you confidence to know exactly how you stand. By the way worth checking how long they have registered the alternative domains for as well. And yes don't ever give the impression of eagerness for a sale in your responses or communications.

I'm forever flummoxed by the number of domain investors that don't do their basic legal framework understanding, yet spend hours searching and registering. The basics aren't that difficult as its all pretty much common sense. But, you'd be surprised at the number of businesses and companies that also don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to their own TM's

Dates of registration, Date of Application, Type of registration, classes registered - alternative current usage in the database. Historic usage . All are relevant, always best to be forearmed and NEVER have to use any of it is my motto. and it only ever takes about 10 minutes. All databases are free with great look-up

Last edited:
•••
I don't understand why everyone's jumping all over this. We don't even know how much time has transpired here. Registering the available extensions is a smart move and perfectly understandable if you want to protect your brand.

How long has it been since you accepted their offer?

•••
How long was that ?
Sometimes people need time to carry out decisions.
What they are doing now is brand protection and locking out the other extensions, it doesn't mean they are giving up on the .com.

•••
And yes don't ever give the impression of eagerness for a sale in your responses or communications.
This is good advice.

On a completely different note, I think the all-too-common domainer mentality of punishing end-users or seeking some sort of revenge for deals gone bad (unless the offense is truly egregious*) is just plain stupid and a completely unprofessional mindset.

*wherein it would be justice, not revenge

Last edited:
•••
I don't say 'thank you' until funds are in escrow.

Also, 'ok' is better than 'yes' if you do accept first offer with no counter.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back