NameSilo

question I registered a domain, how to calculate the domain age?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ComBrands

Established Member
Impact
Waybackmachine shows a snapshot taken in Feb 2007.
Does this mean that Feb 2007 is the first time it was registered? Is that the date starting with which the age will be calculated?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some webmasters block the archive.org crawler from indexing their website, so you cannot tell solely based on the screenshots indexed. And not all domains have a working website.

You could try free services like https://dns.coffee/domains to see the history of nameservers for the domain.

Last edited:
•••
The age of a domain is based the registration date on the Whois info. It is how long it has been continuously registered. If the name is dropped and registered again, the age of the domain name starts over.

•••
Agree with @DigiNames that whois info is leading for determining the domain age.

•••
Age of the domain: Time passed since you registered it.

First time that domain was registered: Unrelated to the domain's age.

When a domain expires and drops the age resets to zero.

•••
Age of the domain: Time passed since you registered it.

First time that domain was registered: Unrelated to the domain's age.

When a domain expires and drops the age resets to zero.
Which boggles my mind;
all people who bid probably overpay dropped auction; Age resets. Thrill of the hunt, i suppose!

Last edited:
•••
fwiw I like to use who.is and run the domain name. It tells me when the domain was registered for the current registration according to the whois records and you can subtract that from the current year.

I like using archive.org to see what was on that domain in the past.

•••
Waybackmachine shows a snapshot taken in Feb 2007.
Does this mean that Feb 2007 is the first time it was registered? Is that the date starting with which the age will be calculated?

If you registered the domain today, that is exactly how old it is.

•••
A domain's age and prior usage does contribute (positively or negatively) to its intrinsic value but age has nothing to do with when it was first registered. If it was registered in 1993 and dropped two weeks ago, then was snapped at DropCatch, it'll be exactly two weeks old today.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back