status-cantfix-or-wontfix I recommend VIP status to appraise domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
After seeing some ridiculous appraisals, I noticed that the vast majority are from new users. To accurately gauge the value of a domain one must have enough experience to distinguish the difference between garbage and premium. Unfortunately, most of the new accounts have no idea what constitutes a a 5 or 6-figure domain, yet they consistently appraise at this price point. This is actually puts the OP at a disadvantage because he or she may now assume there is more value than there actually is, which could impede a potential sale. Appraisals should be open for regular users to post but only for VIPs to respond.

This actually excludes my own account so don't get too riled up over my recommendation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is fundamentally flawed as these are the requirements for VIP status:
Automatically granted once all of these qualifications are met:
750+ Posts
350+ Likes/Thanks
365+ Days of Membership
Note: VIP membership cannot be purchased but may be awarded to prominent members.
There are many inactive (but lurk time-to-time) that have less than 750 posts and 350 likes/thanks, but have been a member since 2002. They may or may not be professionals, but I would accredit most of them as being so.

I have seen members who are not VIP and do post accurate assessments on domain valuations.

Keep in mind that an appraisal is an opinion. The best of the best, Adam Dicker, and even Estibot have their own opinions. They are not the holy grail, but they could be close to what an end user would pay or what they would be comfortable selling them as.

I would not totally dismiss an appraisal from a late 2014 member with 200 posts, because that may be what they would pay for the domain, not someone else. They may have also been domain investing for years, but never joined.

•••
I would not totally dismiss an appraisal from a late 2014 member with 200 posts, because that may be what they would pay for the domain, not someone else.

This is fundamentally flawed as well. It is not representative of what they would pay because they do not have the funds to acquire a name at such a price.

•••
This is fundamentally flawed as well. It is not representative of what they would pay because they do not have the funds to acquire a name at such a price.
What they would pay, if they had the funds.

•••
What they would pay, if they had the funds.

Have you ever played no-limit poker on any free platform? Now have you played no-limit poker for real money? Ever notice the difference between the two styles?

My point is if you play with fake money you will play like you're playing with fake money. In other words, you will play recklessly.

Many of these appraisers appraise as if money was grown on trees. Like the average enduser has 7-figures to spend on a meaningless domain.

Some type of barrier to entry would be useful. Even if it exclude a few pros it will exclude a massive amount of those who are unqualified.

•••
@this_username_was_banned I would agree to an extent that Namepros would benefit from a more vetted appraisal system, but isn't that what the professional appraisals are for? I am just guessing as I don't have access to that section as a normal member.

Since the VIP status can be easily manipulated ie post in every new user introduction, and new auctions. Perhaps a +/-1 type rating system for VIP members to approve or disaprove of the appraisal. This will give the appraiser a appraisal rating so new and seasoned appraisal requesters can know the appraisal background of said appraiser. (this would need some improvements, but maybe?)

•••
@this_username_was_banned I would agree to an extent that Namepros would benefit from a more vetted appraisal system, but isn't that what the professional appraisals are for? I am just guessing as I don't have access to that section as a normal member.

Since the VIP status can be easily manipulated ie post in every new user introduction, and new auctions. Perhaps a +/-1 type rating system for VIP members to approve or disaprove of the appraisal. This will give the appraiser a appraisal rating so new and seasoned appraisal requesters can know the appraisal background of said appraiser. (this would need some improvements, but maybe?)

I agree but wouldn't those who appraise high be awarded more points by the OP?

•••
I appraise the value of this thread at $XX,XXX for resellers, $XXX,XXX for end users.

•••
Have you ever played no-limit poker on any free platform? Now have you played no-limit poker for real money? Ever notice the difference between the two styles?
No, I play like I would play in real life, so I don't recklessly go all in on pocket deuces on the flop. :-P
Some type of barrier to entry would be useful.
That is something that we can look into. However, VIP doesn't quite cut it. Quite possibly, a post count only, but VIP status doesn't necessarily mean that you know your numbers.
I would agree to an extent that Namepros would benefit from a more vetted appraisal system, but isn't that what the professional appraisals are for?
Upgrading to a Business Account allows you to get a real good idea from @Eric_Lyon on three types of appraisals: reseller, hobbyist, and end user. He takes his time in his appraisals with business models that he sees in the names. It is well worth it if you are seeking good appraisals for your names and some additional information to think outside of the box, tips and recommendations.

•••
I agree but wouldn't those who appraise high be awarded more points by the OP?

In my propsed system, points would not be given by OP (Unless he is VIP -- but since OP is partial to appraisal I would argue that OP cant vote on his own appraisals)

Perhaps, each VIP member (or member with X amount of appraisal points) can cast their appraisal vote for 1 appraisal per thread votes can be changed if better appraisal comes along

It would be a little complicated to implement, but by no means is this impossible.

•••
No, I play like I would play in real life, so I don't recklessly go all in on pocket deuces on the flop. :P

Well David, looks like you are one in a million.

In my propsed system, points would not be given by OP (Unless he is VIP -- but since OP is partial to appraisal I would argue that OP cant vote on his own appraisals)

Perhaps, each VIP member (or member with X amount of appraisal points) can cast their appraisal vote for 1 appraisal per thread votes can be changed if better appraisal comes along

It would be a little complicated to implement, but by no means is this impossible.

I see your point. Would be complicated to implement though. I was going for something simple... not perfect... but simple.

Last edited:
•••
This topic probably as old as namepros. And it was decided that the OP needs to weigh each poster's value, not NP excluding people
Instead, If the quality of domains in that section would get better. People like myself would start doing appraisals again.

•••
as David pointed out, we have a private appraisal forum only vips and business members have access to. If you want to narrow down who's appraising your domains to more vested / veteran members, then I suggest using that appraisal forum instead.

Professional Appraisals

it doesn't make much sense to put VIP limits on the public appraisals when we already have a VIP / business member only appraisal forum.

•••
This topic probably as old as namepros. And it was decided that the OP needs to weigh each poster's value, not NP excluding people
Instead, If the quality of domains in that section would get better. People like myself would start doing appraisals again.

I can see your point.

as David pointed out, we have a private appraisal forum only vips and business members have access to. If you want to narrow down who's appraising your domains to more vested / veteran members, then I suggest using that appraisal forum instead.

it doesn't make much sense to put VIP limits on the public appraisals when we already have a VIP / business member only appraisal forum.

Just because they aren't paying, doesn't mean they shouldn't receive quality appraisals. :)

•••
I see your point. Would be complicated to implement though. I was going for something simple... not perfect... but simple.

as David pointed out, we have a private appraisal forum only vips and business members have access to.

Hmmm, it looks like the obvious answer here is for me to upgrade to a Business Account.

Just a suggestion to get more people like @johname back in the appraisal section, maybe we can add contests down the road:

Perhaps by adding a Best Appraisal button for each thread (1 best appraisal chosen allowed by member per thread), the member with the most best appraisals at the end of each month recieves first dibs to a list of donated domain names?

I'm sure other domainers like myself would be open to donating decent domains that are soon to expire or we have no need for rather than posting them in the free section or selling for $X. The top 10 (or set number) of appraisers per month will have their choice to the domains in the order of Best Appraisals recieved per set time?

•••
I can see your point.

Just because they aren't paying, doesn't mean they shouldn't receive quality appraisals. :)
are you volunteering to appraise every thread? If you take a look at the private appraisals (with limits on who appraises) only 2 or 3 members are appraising. Most times just 1. If we add the same limits to the public appraisals with 100x more threads, who's going to be the 1 or 2 with that much free time to appraise them all?

its important that we use the data learned in private participation with the restrictions you referenced to give us an idea of how the public forum would look. Thousands of threads with no replies is what I would predict.

just saying, ;)

•••
Hmmm, it looks like the obvious answer here is for me to upgrade to a Business Account.

Just a suggestion to get more people like @johname back in the appraisal section, maybe we can add contests down the road:

Perhaps by adding a Best Appraisal button for each thread (1 best appraisal chosen allowed by member per thread), the member with the most best appraisals at the end of each month recieves first dibs to a list of donated domain names?

I'm sure other domainers like myself would be open to donating decent domains that are soon to expire or we have no need for rather than posting them in the free section of selling for $X. The top 10 (or set number) of appraisers per month will have their choice to the domains in the order of Best Appraisals recieved per set time?

Well, I'm not sure rewarding people with crappy domains is the way to go. Maybe a professional appraisal badge or something.

•••
are you volunteering to appraise every thread? If you take a look at the private appraisals (with limits on who appraises) only 2 or 3 members are appraising. Most times just 1. If we add the same limits to the public appraisals with 100x more threads, who's going to be the 1 or 2 with that much free time to appraise them all?

its important that we use the data learned in private participation with the restrictions you referenced to give us an idea of how the public forum would look. Thousands of threads with no replies is what I would predict.

just saying, ;)

I wouldn't qualify with my proposed system. ;)

Also, I understand your point. Although a large amount of appraisals already go unanswered.

A badge might solve this though.

•••
Well, I'm not sure rewarding people with crappy domains is the way to go. Maybe a professional appraisal badge or something.

That would work as well. Just something to incentivize more users to add quality feedback. Idk about other users, but Namepros counted like-system has played into my psychology to incentivize me to post better quality content in efforts of boasting my Message to Like ratio lol

•••
That would work as well. Just something to incentivize more users to add quality feedback. Idk about other users, but Namepros counted like-system has played into my psychology to incentivize me to post better quality content in efforts of boasting my Message to Like ratio lol

It's given me the same incentive. It's our ego. :)

•••
I wouldn't qualify with my proposed system. ;)

Also, I understand your point. Although a large amount of appraisals already go unanswered.

A badge might solve this though.
I'm not sure a badge would help increase free volunteer appraisals. Whilst it may give a member more authority in appraisals and they will more than likely start getting hundreds of pm's asking for private appraisals. I don't see how it will help increase the number of good appraisals when that member will probably still only have the same amount of time they do now to appraise. And if we restrict everyone except those with such a badge, we go back to hundreds (if not thousands) of unanswered threads per month because of the restriction and volunteer time constraints.

don't get me wrong, I would vote for such a badge, I just don't see how a badge could possibly solve the public appraisal issues being discussed without creating more workload for the few that might qualify.

this brings me back to the private appraisal forum being the best option for a more accurate appraisal at the moment.

•••
I'm not sure a badge would help increase free volunteer appraisals. Whilst it may give a member more authority in appraisals and they will more than likely start getting hundreds of pm's asking for private appraisals. I don't see how it will help increase the number of good appraisals when that member will probably still only have the same amount of time they do now to appraise. And if we restrict everyone except those with such a badge, we go back to hundreds (if not thousands) of unanswered threads per month because of the restriction and volunteer time constraints.

don't get me wrong, I would vote for such a badge, I just don't see how a badge could possibly solve the public appraisal issues being discussed without creating more workload for the few that might qualify.

this brings me back to the private appraisal forum being the best option for a more accurate appraisal at the moment.

In all fairness, receiving zero appraisals is an appraisal.

I do see the problems associated with it. I just think there has to be a better solution for free members.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

•••
Do not discount the light a newbie can shed on the possible uses of a domain, even if their monetary appraisal is way off.

Sometimes peope have specific knowledge in an industry or occupation or hobby or whatever and their insights can be valuable.

•••
Do not discount the light a newbie can shed on the possible uses of a domain, even if their monetary appraisal is way off.

Sometimes peope have specific knowledge in an industry or occupation or hobby or whatever and their insights can be valuable.

You bring up a good point. You never know about someones knowledge base.

•••
Also just because someone is new here doesnt mean he is new to this. I have been selling domains since 2003 but they were domains related to my language and country Somalia so they wouldnt make a lot in English speaking countries. In Fact, I always watched a domain that was in English , AboutSomalia.com and even saw someone postes in here asking for 259 then 50 so since he or she was English speaking and the domain was so specific he or she lost interest and lwt the domain rop. Now I receive offers from my Somali wnd users in x,xxx to xx,xxx. lol. Now I am catching up with English names lo. Sorry if this looks ad .

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back